Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10
NCAA Discussion / Re: Fair Catch rules
« Last post by bossman72 on April 08, 2024, 08:31:46 AM »
So, if a player of Team B gives a signal behind/in/beyond the neutral zone, but the ball does not cross the neutral zone, the signal means nothing. The ball remains alive and in play, and players of either team may catch or recover, and advance the ball. 

I think we talked about this in a thread a year or so ago.  They changed this about 10 years ago in the ARs.  This is a dead ball now.
General Discussion / Re: Rule writers
« Last post by Etref on April 06, 2024, 11:28:13 PM »
👍
« Last post by ElvisLives on April 06, 2024, 06:58:46 PM »
Knew Dotson was there, didn’t know he had a vote

Not Dotson, Bailey Marshal - UIL Exec Director back then. I believe Dotson was able to sit in and advise, but the UIL had the vote.
« Last post by Etref on April 06, 2024, 06:29:42 PM »
The Texas high school association, the University Interscholastic League (UIL) held a voting position on the NCAA Rules Committee for some time, until 1984. The NCAA actually used the UIL to ‘experiment’ with some rules back in those days.
Not saying that was good or bad. Just a fact.

Knew Dotson was there, didn’t know he had a vote
National Federation Discussion / Re: Fair Catch
« Last post by dch on April 06, 2024, 05:58:40 PM »
we were taught he was just waving Hello to his mom in the stands.
National Federation Discussion / Re: Fair Catch
« Last post by sczeebra on April 06, 2024, 04:50:40 PM »
(2-9-4a) is only concerned with the how it's done not where. We shouldn't penalize for an invalid signal. Since he is afforded no protection I have always taught in class that the receiver signalling behind the NZ is in effect just waving his arm.
« Last post by ElvisLives on April 06, 2024, 02:31:51 PM »
The Texas high school association, the University Interscholastic League (UIL) held a voting position on the NCAA Rules Committee for some time, until 1984. The NCAA actually used the UIL to ‘experiment’ with some rules back in those days.
Not saying that was good or bad. Just a fact.
« Last post by Etref on April 06, 2024, 01:16:42 PM »
Our high school association used to have a seat ( no vote) at the table also.
« Last post by ElvisLives on April 06, 2024, 08:43:30 AM »
NCAA has 12 voting members, all coaches or athletic directors. The Secretary/Editor of the Committee is Steve Shaw, former official and coordinator of officials for the SEC. The only official on the committee. Guess what? He is the 13th - non-voting - member.
I’m sure he has influence., but he can’t vote.

For Texas high school, NCAA rules are used, with ‘exceptions’ (deletions/additons/modifications) developed and approved by the state athletic association, which are all coaches/ADs. The officials association is consulted in that process, but that’s it.
« Last post by Ralph Damren on April 06, 2024, 07:30:59 AM »
FYI, NFHS Rules Committee makeup (per my counting) is:

31  State Association
17  Game Officials
4   Coaches

Proposed changes need to come from committee members or with state association approval.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10