Author Topic: The strangest year....  (Read 2252 times)

Offline ncwingman

• FAN REACTION: +72/-13
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
The strangest year....
« on: May 06, 2021, 05:07:02 PM »
So the strangest football year is coming to a close. This weekend are the state finals for the "2020" season. Today, we got an email about registration opening up for the fall.

The off-season goes by faster every year...

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
Re: The strangest year....
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2021, 08:20:35 PM »
I kinda liked the spring football season for small college.  In just 1 more month we start training for new members for high school so the next season is basically already here.   ^good

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2021, 07:56:21 AM »
Let's all root for normality as we pass thru summer and prepare for FOOTBALL. If you are in a state where masks are of a bygone era,  pHiNzuP cheers for you  pHiNzuP ! If not, an informal "poll" you might want to try (Maine still requires masks worn whenever in a public building or business) :
 Watch the people leaving a local store. Count how many leave within a certain time-frame. Count how many pull their masks off as soon as they leave.

My 15 minute poll from the parking lot of the local supermarket :

27 people left store;
27 people had masks on;
24 people yanked their masks off as soon as they left  >:( >:( >:(…..

SUMMARY :88% OF THE PEOPLE DON'T LIKE OUR MASK MANDATE...

OUR GOVERNOR IS RUNNING FOR RE-ELECTION IN 2022...I HOPE SHE WAS WATCHING :o.

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2021, 08:38:18 AM »
Better yet, watch how many actually wear the mask correctly! But that may be another discussion
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2021, 10:15:02 AM »
Better yet, watch how many actually wear the mask correctly! But that may be another discussion
IF KEEPING WITH FOOTBALL TRIDITION...…..

Where Failure to wear proper equipment (properly wearing mask) is no longer a foul  ^flag (arrest  P_S. -illegal trespassing) ….

..and a guilty player (maskless shopper) needs only to sit out for one play (refrain from shopping for one day) ; this could be a thought pass on to our state's congress...WHOOPS...the governor as the state is under a state of emergency.  tR:oLl

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2021, 10:50:38 AM »
The masks vary.  Around where I live people look at you strangely and avoid you if you are basically the only one wearing one.  Then if I travel to a different part of the state it's reversed.  Not wearing one they stare.   There are still some stores that have "masks required " signs but when you walk in nobody, including the employees,  have one on.

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2021, 05:23:26 PM »
I went to watch our state final crew work last night down in Raleigh. The breeze had a bit of chill to it.

Our governor removed his outdoor mask mandate May 1st.  As I walked into the stadium last night, a gate supervisor asked me if I had a mask.  (I had a disposable folded up in my back pocket.)  I said yes and she informed me that I had to wear one to enter, then I could do whatever I wanted after I cleared the entrance. ::)

This will be a short turn around.  I noticed last week that our local head coach had notified players and families that the state had not approved a summer workout schedule yet.  I do know they are considering adding a 3rd dead week.  NC already mandates no activity the week around July 4th and then the week of the state coaches clinic.

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2021, 05:31:31 AM »
Our proposed football in the spring suggestion didn't get a go. Our state association's rationale was a solid one. Last spring no sports were allowed, last fall 7-7 football was allowed. Many of the athletes  play a sport every season. Many of the smaller schools would have athletes torn between playing baseball/track & field or football and unable to field both teams for lack of players. Football players had at least something during their season while baseball players had nothing during theirs. Spring is traditionally baseball season. It's spring.

IT WAS A GOOD CALL  tiphat:

EDITOR'S NOTE: While I love officiating football, I also umpire baseball. Hopefully, when football season arrives, it will be football as we know and love it. Hopefully , we can all remain healthy until then.

^talk ^good ^no ^TD ^talk   

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2021, 05:54:58 AM »
I’ll leave the COVID mask debate to the more learned amongst us. However, masks/social distancing are apparently quite effective against the flu, as my GP told me recently he wrote only 10% of his normal Tamiflu prescriptions this past winter.

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2021, 06:37:36 AM »
I’ll leave the COVID mask debate to the more learned amongst us. However, masks/social distancing are apparently quite effective against the flu, as my GP told me recently he wrote only 10% of his normal Tamiflu prescriptions this past winter.
Good point, 'Bama Stripes. While some of the health habits that many of us have developed were aimed at preventing COVID, they have protected us from other dread sicknesses. Thoroughly scrubbing our hands and trying not to touch our face ( I have found myself scratching my chin on fair/foul calls I need to make from behind pitcher's mound  ??? ??? )  are developed habits that will remain for the rest of my life. I'll be happy when the mask mandate is fully lifted in my state, but feel it was like the seat-belt law that has been in force for years...for our safety.

A chuckle  nAnA you guys might enjoy what occurred in a Maine coastal town a few months ago:

(1) A man strolled into a store with a handgun in his belt;
(2) he had a license to carry one  8] ;
(3) he was NOT wearing a mask  :o ;
(4) a clerk called  P_S - no mask = criminal trespass  P_S ;
(5)  8] told the  P_S it was against the law to wear a mask  if you were "packing"  8];
(6) the  P_S P_S  ??? ??? didn't know and let him shop  8] ;
(7) the following day the AG announced there was no such law.

[/SCORE ONE FOR A MASKLESS SHOPPER tR:oLl b]
« Last Edit: May 08, 2021, 09:18:18 AM by Ralph Damren »

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2021, 12:40:03 PM »
Sometimes simple "common sense" turns out to actually be the straightest, and easiest, path after all.

When "Thoroughly scrubbing our hands and trying not to touch our face" became the "OFFICIAL" policy, a Billion mothers and grandmothers shouted, "See, I told you so".

Offline OkieZebra

• FAN REACTION: +3/-1
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2021, 06:43:36 PM »
My 15 minute poll from the parking lot of the local supermarket :

27 people left store;
27 people had masks on;
24 people yanked their masks off as soon as they left  >:( >:( >:(…..

SUMMARY :88% OF THE PEOPLE DON'T LIKE OUR MASK MANDATE...

I mean, I'm a full supporter of mask mandates when in enclosed spaces with people you don't know, but I still don't wear one outside. I take mine off pretty quickly outside a door, but you'd have me in your 88%, when I'm very much not. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2021, 09:37:55 AM »
Haven’t worn a mask here in town in two months. (Don’t even know where my mask is, right now.) Stores, restaurants, schools, work. COVID cases still dropping. Yes, lots of folks vaccinated, including me. But the numbers were dropping even before vaccinations began - and after the governor lifted the mask mandate.
Some of the big cities still have mask mandates. Yet another of my 17 reasons to avoid big cities. 🙂
But, I watch baseball games (from Texas) on the TV, and the spectators are shoulder-to-shoulder, no masks, and having a great time. Been that way for a good while now, and no COVID ‘spike’ or ‘surge’ or other expressions the media love so much.
I fully expect everything to be pre-COVID normal in September.
Y’all have a great day!