Author Topic: Coaches' Behavior  (Read 2252 times)

Offline yarnnelg

• FAN REACTION: +54/-32
Re: Coaches' Behavior
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2021, 06:55:30 PM »
Nick Saban draws 15 in playoff.
Upset about something, yanks mask off then goes in front of the Wing. Flag flies.

Didnít appear to anything about the wing on his sideline, something else. But deep inside you know it was due to going in front of the wing about five yards on the field.

Offline NVFOA_Ump

• FAN REACTION: +79/-112
  • High School (MA & RI)
    • Massachusetts Independent Football Officials Association
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2021, 06:40:37 AM »
Maybe it was something he said?  ;D
It's easy to get the players, getting 'em to play together, that's the hard part. - Casey Stengel

Offline zebrastripes

• FAN REACTION: +8/-7
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2021, 11:01:35 AM »
Look forward to seeing Saban's histrionics and correct UNS flag featured on the 2021 POE video as an example of a crew that had the balls to do what's right.

I have very little tolerance for coaches who are blowing their opponent out.

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +310/-658
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2021, 11:47:04 AM »
Look forward to seeing Saban's histrionics and correct UNS flag featured on the 2021 POE video as an example of a crew that had the balls to do what's right.

I have very little tolerance for coaches who are blowing their opponent out.

"To err is human, forgive divine"...after enforcement of appropriate consequences, and avoidance of repeat behavior.

Offline Joe Stack

• FAN REACTION: +32/-45
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2021, 01:54:59 PM »
See almost every CFO video.

What exactly is going to happen if officials start regularly flagging coaches? Are the coaches going to rise up and demand the commissioner get a new assigner? Each conference only has a couple bad apples - I would think the well-behaved coaches WANT the Matt Campbells of the world to be penalized. In basketball I have always been taught that if you let one coach get away with acting like an idiot, eventually the other coach is going to do the same thing even if he's normally a saint - especially if a couple calls start going the idiot's way.

While it is easy to understand why a rational person would think this, most experienced officials such as yourself know that coaching is like a brotherhood of doing no wrong. Rarely is a coach admonished by another coach, even when he's doing something clearly unfair or unethical. It literally blows my mind that coach A wants the game called in certain ways to benefit their team and while the coaches B-Z know this, B-Z don't seem to care because they believe that they will achieve their own advantage at some point themselves.

The only reason the OU coach wanted Campbell penalized is for the 15 yards it would have given him for THAT play. He DID NOT want Campbell penalized if it meant he had to live under the same parameters. Most of the other B12 coaches probably think the same way. Now, once they get on the rules committee and meet in a forum where minutes are taken and they are on the record, their views MIGHT change but we don't know what they say in private.

The other big consideration is what the conference commissions tell the supervisor of officials. Don't think for a second that the supervisor has the final (or, for that matter, a great deal of) say in the behavior of coaches. If the commission is going to get grief from any one or more of the school, the networks, fans, etc. they are going to tell the supervisor to tell the crews to back off enforcing whatever rules are being bitched about. After all, "no one shows up on Saturday to watch the officials."

The CORRECT answer to that is, "Everyone shows up on Saturday expecting the rules to be enforced as written (within reason) and fairly." Except, of course, the fans, coaches, ADs, etc. when things don't go the way these people think they should go.

Offline zebrastripes

• FAN REACTION: +8/-7
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2021, 10:17:12 AM »
No one shows up on Saturdays to watch coaches act like spoiled teenagers, either.

The coaches write the rules. If they don't want the rules to allow us to penalize their actions there is nothing stopping them from taking it out of the book. They (i.e. the rules committee) should certainly stop pontificating about sportsmanship every couple years and how important it is.

And yes, I realize my opinion on this issue doesn't mean anything. I fully expect this to be a 2021 POE, strictly enforced for one season, then in two or three years we'll be right back where we were in 2020.