Author Topic: Targeting, Change of Possession, and Instant Replay  (Read 636 times)

Online dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +10/-5
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
Targeting, Change of Possession, and Instant Replay
« on: January 07, 2021, 03:18:44 PM »
B50 tackles runner A12 at the B40, and the ball is fumbled and recovered by B72 at the B44.  A12 is injured on the play.  During the injury timeout, IR buzzes down to initiate a targeting review, and determines that B50 lowered and hit A12 with the crown of his helmet. 

My understanding is that replay can only review the targeting aspect, so what is the correct enforcement?  Would it be the same as if there were a flag on the field for it, no turnover, 15 yards?

(I don't officiate college so I don't know the replay rules very well)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 03:22:58 PM by dammitbobby »

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +72/-40
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Re: Targeting, Change of Possession, and Instant Replay
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2021, 04:07:24 PM »
I donít do college either, but I assume the clean hands principle applies. Since B committed a foul before they gained possession, they canít keep the ball. Enforce the targeting according to 3 and 1. A keeps the ball.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Online dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +10/-5
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2021, 04:12:14 PM »
That makes sense, thanks.  For some reason having a hard time wrapping my head around it (probably because IR)

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +138/-24
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2021, 09:56:27 PM »
B50 tackles runner A12 at the B40, and the ball is fumbled and recovered by B72 at the B44.  A12 is injured on the play.  During the injury timeout, IR buzzes down to initiate a targeting review, and determines that B50 lowered and hit A12 with the crown of his helmet. 

My understanding is that replay can only review the targeting aspect, so what is the correct enforcement?  Would it be the same as if there were a flag on the field for it, no turnover, 15 yards?

(I don't officiate college so I don't know the replay rules very well)

Replay can review every aspect of a play.  They can even review for one thing and "find" something else.

So in this play they will create targeting and have it be enforced the same as if they had thrown it on the field.  15 yards from fumble spot, Team A keeps the ball.

Offline Legacy Zebra

• FAN REACTION: +48/-9
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2021, 10:09:20 PM »
Yes, penalty enforcement is reevaluated after any IR change and enforced as if the correct ruling had been made on the field. In this scenario, replay would determine that the foul happened prior to the change of possession and inform the Referee. The targeting would then be enforced from the spot of the fumble since that is the end of the run.

The only exception to this process is if a live ball foul is committed after the ball should have been dead.  Any live ball personal foul or unsportsmanlike conduct after the should have been dead is enforced as a dead ball foul. All others are ignored. So let's modify the OP...

A 3/10 @ A-25. A12 carries the ball to the A-30 where he is hit and fumbles. The ball is recovered by B72 and advanced to the A-10. During the return B99 (a) blocks below the waist (b) holds an opponent. Replay has indisputable video evidence that A12's knee touched the ground at the A-30 before losing possession.

(a) The block below the waist becomes a dead ball foul and is enforced from the succeeding spot, the A-30. It will be Team A's ball, 1st and 10 at the A-45.

(b) The holding is not enforced. It will be Team A's ball, 4th and 5 at the A-35.