Author Topic: Had a wild play yesterday  (Read 1529 times)

Offline clearwall

• FAN REACTION: +14/-13
Had a wild play yesterday
« on: February 07, 2021, 08:58:52 PM »
Try down, A86's kick is blocked by B56 at the B10. Ball flies up in the air and contacts B43 in the shoulder at the B2. Bal falls to the ground at the B1 and A97 picks up the ball and falls into the EZ.

Online bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
Re: Had a wild play yesterday
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2021, 11:09:34 PM »
Interesting play!  Try is no good.  A cannot advance a kick beyond the NZ.  Had it been recovered in the end zone, it would be a 2 point TD.

Offline clearwall

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2021, 08:30:24 AM »
Yeah. I about fried my brain in 2 seconds trying to figure out wtf happened. Luckily the right synapses fired and that's what I signaled.
It got me to thinking, though about variations on that play :

1. Everything is the same except make it 4th down instead of a try.
2. Everything is the same except make the B touching at or behind LOS.
3. Everything is the same except make the recovery IN the EZ

https://youtu.be/3lOFmIKvhEg
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 09:32:17 AM by clearwall »

Online bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2021, 11:39:51 AM »
1) A 1/G @ B1.
2) Try no good.  If FG, B 1/10 @ B20.
3) TD.

Offline clearwall

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2021, 12:09:58 PM »
Dont agree on 2. A scrimmage kick touched behind the LOS can be run, passed or kicked again by A. I have a 2 pt TD there and a TD if a FG

*Edit*
I see what you're thinking there. I should have added touching behind LOS and the ball is recovered behind LOS. If it goes beyond, then yes you're right. I hadnt thought of that scenario but that's another good one there.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 12:19:34 PM by clearwall »

Offline Kalle

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +109/-35
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2021, 02:15:59 PM »
Dont agree on 2. A scrimmage kick touched behind the LOS can be run, passed or kicked again by A. I have a 2 pt TD there and a TD if a FG

Always keep in mind that the rules for crossing the neutral zone are very different for passes and kicks.

Online ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2021, 03:04:23 PM »
Just as an extension, keep in mind that 'touching' and 'blocking' of a kick are different things. 'Blocking' of a kick (an attempt to prevent a kicked ball from crossing the NZ) up to 3 yards beyond the NZ is ignored. In such cases, a subsequent touch/catch/recovery by Team A beyond the NZ is simply illegal touching (ignored on a try or in extra periods), and Team B may elect the illegal touching privilege, or, more likely, elect to take the ball at the previous spot or B-20, depending on the location of the previous spot (i.e., unsuccessful field goal attempt, untouched by B beyond the NZ, 8-4-2).
Conversely, a kick that incidentally deflects off of a B player making no attempt to prevent the ball from crossing the neutral zone is 'touching,' and, if that touching is clearly beyond the NZ, Team A is eligible to touch the ball (ignored on try or in extra periods).
What would that look like? I would consider any low kick that strikes any B player in the vicinity of the NZ as being 'blocked,' rather than touched, even if the B player was simply engaged with an opponent, and not really making an attempt to block the kick. Not gonna split that hair. Team A needs a better kicker. On the other hand, let's say a Team B player blocks the kick at the NZ, and the ball deflects toward a linebacker and it hits him on the shoulder two yards beyond the NZ. That's touching of the ball by B, and now all Team A players are eligible to touch the ball.