Author Topic: Crew of 7 - U's Becoming C's ???  (Read 2457 times)

Offline VA-Ump

• <><
  • FAN REACTION: +25/-10
Crew of 7 - U's Becoming C's ???
« on: February 11, 2021, 06:12:45 AM »
I recall hearing some talk last winter/fall that the CFO was thinking of doing away with the Umpire position and changing to the the Center Judge since we are now on the other side of the ball.  Has anyone else heard this? 
« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 06:35:59 AM by VA-Ump »
Goodness is the enemy of Greatness

If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?... John Wooden

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
Re: Crew of 7 - U's Becoming C's ???
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2021, 08:57:47 AM »
I recall hearing some talk last winter/fall that the CFO was thinking of doing away with the Umpire position and changing to the the Center Judge since we are now on the other side of the ball.  Has anyone else heard this? 

It's optional for each conference where they want to put their U's - in the traditional spot or in the backfield.

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2021, 10:10:13 AM »
I heard thru conversations that maybe 7 man mechanics were going away and everything would be 8 man.

Offline bossman72

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2021, 05:18:38 PM »
I heard thru conversations that maybe 7 man mechanics were going away and everything would be 8 man.

I don't think that will happen, personally.  I even think 8 man mechanics are even a little overkill at the D1 level, but you can at least justify it there.  D2/D3 can be covered fine with 7 and schools don't want the added cost.  In fact, I bet if given the choice, the majority of D2 and D3 officials would choose a pay raise instead of adding an 8th official if given an option.  The advantages of going from 7 to 8 are minimal compared to the advantages of going from 6 to 7.

Offline linesman87

• FAN REACTION: +1/-0
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2021, 09:14:46 PM »
We are using 8 man in D2 and D3 and Junior College and NAIA and we received a little raise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline bossman72

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2021, 12:20:07 AM »
We are using 8 man in D2 and D3 and Junior College and NAIA and we received a little raise

We all need to go to your conference!

The only D2 I know using 8 is the MIAA.

Offline linesman87

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2021, 04:43:29 PM »
Lone star conference - D2
ASC - D3

Offline Ball Spotter

• Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2021, 09:29:12 AM »
"I don't think that will happen, personally.  I even think 8 man mechanics are even a little overkill at the D1 level, but you can at least justify it there.  D2/D3 can be covered fine with 7 and schools don't want the added cost.  In fact, I bet if given the choice, the majority of D2 and D3 officials would choose a pay raise instead of adding an 8th official if given an option.  The advantages of going from 7 to 8 are minimal compared to the advantages of going from 6 to 7."

I disagree.  The CJ position fills the one gap on 7-man mechanics and coverage.  Also, all of the D2 officials I have spoken to have said they would rather have a CJ than a raise. You sound like you are against adding an 8th official.  I'm curious as to why?  If we can cover the field and play better with 8 than 7, why would you be against that?

Offline bossman72

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2021, 11:51:02 AM »
"I don't think that will happen, personally.  I even think 8 man mechanics are even a little overkill at the D1 level, but you can at least justify it there.  D2/D3 can be covered fine with 7 and schools don't want the added cost.  In fact, I bet if given the choice, the majority of D2 and D3 officials would choose a pay raise instead of adding an 8th official if given an option.  The advantages of going from 7 to 8 are minimal compared to the advantages of going from 6 to 7."

I disagree.  The CJ position fills the one gap on 7-man mechanics and coverage.  Also, all of the D2 officials I have spoken to have said they would rather have a CJ than a raise. You sound like you are against adding an 8th official.  I'm curious as to why?  If we can cover the field and play better with 8 than 7, why would you be against that?

I'm just saying D2 and D3 can be adequately covered with 7, and those guys are very underpaid and would benefit more from a raise.  Schools at that level don't want or need more expenses either that aren't really necessary.  It would be a tough sell to those schools if you went and told them that you want to add an 8th official.  Of course 8 is better than 7, but IMO, just marginally so and probably not worth the added cost to D2/D3.  It's not like going from 6 to 7 where there are very significant and substantial upgrades to mechanics.