Author Topic: 'High and Deep' pass from a 'kicker' What play did this come from.  (Read 314 times)

Offline Zap

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
Rule 7-3-8-c-4: When there is contact by a Team B player that otherwise would be pass interference during a down in which a Team A potential kicker, from a scrimmage kick formation, simulates a scrimmage kick by throwing
the ball high and deep.

This is such a specific rule. What year and what play did this rule come from? Just wondering.

Offline Kalle

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +105/-34
Re: 'High and Deep' pass from a 'kicker' What play did this come from.
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2021, 10:28:53 AM »
It is a 2004 rule change. Elvis can probably shed some light as to actual plays resulting in the change :)

Offline sj

• FAN REACTION: +4/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2021, 11:39:19 AM »
For an example on this see the last play of the 2020 training video #2.

http://cfo.arbitersports.com/front/104777/Video/player/34963/38299

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +114/-85
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2021, 03:52:06 PM »
It is a 2004 rule change. Elvis can probably shed some light as to actual plays resulting in the change :)

Actually, not much of a video dude. Video is essential, but I just don't have the technology or expertise to maintain a library. I lean on my FBS and NFL contacts for that, when I need something. But, it looks like SJ has provided a good example, although it was certainly not the specific situation that prompted the rule change.

Online HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +97/-15
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2021, 07:49:48 AM »
One Friday night 15 odd years or so ago we had a HS coach alert us in pre-game that he might try this.  After being flagged for Ineligible Downfield AND OPI on the play, it was never seen nor mentioned again.

And peace was restored to the kingdom.