Author Topic: Study Group Question from a few weeks back  (Read 192 times)

Online dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +10/-5
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
Study Group Question from a few weeks back
« on: March 10, 2021, 01:56:27 PM »
This was a study group question a few weeks ago and I missed the meeting, so wanted to throw this out there to see if I got it right.

1)   A4/G@B-2 in the final seconds of the game. A is trailing in score by 4 points. A1 receives the snap and turns to hand it to A21. A21 struggles to control the ball and ends up dropping it as he approaches the EZ, B88 muffs it in the EZ, and then A21 jumps on it in the EZ. Time expired while the ball was loose. Ruling? Clock? Options?

Result of the play is A recovered the ball in the EZ.  A1 fumbled the ball, not A21, because A21 never gained possession.  The 4th down fumble rule (7-2-2-a) holds that the ball is dead when recovered by a Team A player other than the fumbler.  Since A21 did not fumble the ball, it cannot be dead at the spot of recovery, but must go back to the spot of the fumble (where the handoff was). 

B88 muffing the ball does not have any impact on the result of the play, since he never had possession, the ball is still considered loose with no new impetus that would allow Team A to retain possession of the ball in the EZ, instead of 7-2-2-a applying.

Ruling:  Ball is dead at the spot of the muffed handoff.  Turnover on downs.  Since no time remains, game is over.

I feel like I am missing something.  Am I?

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +114/-85
  • The rules are there if you need them.
Re: Study Group Question from a few weeks back
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2021, 03:39:32 PM »
No question. 4th down fumble rule applies. A1 is the fumbler, and the spot of the fumble is wherever A1 lost possession (presumed to be behind the NZ, but could be anywhere in the field of play). The ball is dead when legally recovered by A88 in the end zone. 7-2-2-a is then applied, and the ball is returned to the spot of the fumble, next down. Since A failed make the line to gain, Team B is awarded a series, 1/10, spot of the fumble. Since the clock expired during the down, the period, and, in this case, the game, is over.

Get a bean bag down!