Author Topic: NCAA Approved Rules Changes for 2021 Season  (Read 2254 times)

Offline bctgp

• FAN REACTION: +6/-10
  • Without officials... it is only recess.

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
Re: NCAA Approved Rules Changes for 2021 Season
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2021, 01:11:04 PM »
https://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/panel-approves-changes-overtime-rules-football#:~:text=The%20NCAA%20Playing%20Rules%20Oversight,after%20the%20third%20overtime%20period.

Looks like they left blocking below the waist alone for this year.

Happy to see the NCAA recognizes the adverse effect unaddressed, constant "taunting" (and "trash talking" are taking on the game.
Hopefully, (if the intended emphasis is seriously enforced) actually rejecting this excessive behavior will eliminate this practice at ALL levels of the game.  Same is true for seriously rejecting inappropriate behavior from Coaching staffs, who are "EXPECTED" to set examples of sportsmanlike behavior for everyone to follow.

Offline dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2021, 09:15:09 AM »
‘ Officials are directed to be alert to players who are significantly in violation of uniform rules and to send violators out of the game to correct the issue. This will include specifically the pants, jerseys and T-shirts that extend below the torso.’

Someone help me out here please - I don’t recall jerseys and shirts extending below the torso to be a uniform problem?

Offline Snapper

• FAN REACTION: +14/-2
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2021, 01:50:28 PM »
‘ Officials are directed to be alert to players who are significantly in violation of uniform rules and to send violators out of the game to correct the issue. This will include specifically the pants, jerseys and T-shirts that extend below the torso.’

Someone help me out here please - I don’t recall jerseys and shirts extending below the torso to be a uniform problem?

1-4-5-a-1:  ...The jersey must be full-length and tucked into the pants or made even with the waist line.  It must cover all pads worn at or above the waist....

Every few years, they will either change or emphasize a uniform rule, like everyone wearing the same length of socks.

Personally, I think jerseys and t-shirts hanging out looks sloppy.  But on uniform questions, I will follow whatever guidance I get from my Supervisor.  Most likely he will want us to gently remind players to tuck in their shirts and not send them out of the game.

Offline Grant - AR

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +63/-5
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2021, 02:07:55 PM »

I've seen this get worse the past few years.  Many players will wear t-shirts under their jerseys that will come down as much as several inches below the belt.  I've seen a few wearing t-shirts that are a different color than their jerseys and pants.  Those really stand out.  I assume this is what the point of emphasis is talking about.  Like Snapper above, I'll wait to hear from my supervisor as to the specific details. 

Offline dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2021, 05:21:51 PM »
In my humble opinion, it's a solution in search of a problem.  I've never had to tell anyone to tuck their jersey in, I think the kneepads above the knees are a bigger (safety) issue and that's a problem that's not getting solved any time soon.

Offline Grant - AR

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2021, 08:34:27 AM »
In my humble opinion, it's a solution in search of a problem.  I've never had to tell anyone to tuck their jersey in, I think the kneepads above the knees are a bigger (safety) issue and that's a problem that's not getting solved any time soon.

I've seen many times where guys have been told to tuck their shirts in, but like you, I think the knee pads are a bigger problem.  The way I read the following, I think knee pads are definitely part of the point of emphasis.  We will all find out soon enough.

"Officials are directed to be alert to players who are significantly in violation of uniform rules and to send violators out of the game to correct the issue. This will include specifically the pants, jerseys and T-shirts that extend below the torso."

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2021, 10:46:01 AM »
RE: Uniform violations
Just more lip service from the NCAA execs. Until they start fining teams for non-compliance, it won't get any better.

Offline Grant - AR

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2021, 01:21:40 PM »
RE: Uniform violations
Just more lip service from the NCAA execs. Until they start fining teams for non-compliance, it won't get any better.

I had that conversation a couple of weeks ago at a scrimmage.  Until there is some weight behind it, it won't change.  I remember when they made this a POE 4-5 years ago.  They said to send the player out of the game if he had uniform problems.  My R at the time wanted to be a stickler on that.  Out crew probably sent a player out every other play for the first 6-8 minutes of the game and nothing changed.  At that point, we decided to leave it alone because it was obvious the players and coaches didn't really care and we were just wasting time. 

:sTiR:  Maybe when they start paying the players, they can fine them like the NFL does.   :sTiR: