Author Topic: Injury TO with less than 1 min, and no runoff?  (Read 1009 times)

Online dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
Injury TO with less than 1 min, and no runoff?
« on: November 13, 2022, 09:15:50 AM »
This was interesting last night.

Watching the end of Oregon/Washington, under one minute (I think maybe even under 10 seconds can't remember), Oregon is down, and has the ball.  QB throws for a first down, player is tackled inbounds, and then immediately goes down for an injury.  Since the directive is to be more consistent in not starting the clock until the ball is ready, the injury timeout did not result in a 10 second RO, as the ball had not been spotted yet, and clock was not running.  Washington coach was NOT happy about that.

Will be interesting to see if this is a loophole that gets closed, or if other teams will try to take advantage of this.  Oregon got a free timeout and no zap 10, in a situation that (IMO) clearly should have been a runoff.  (I'd also expect to see this strategy in use on Fri nights in Texas.)

Offline Kalle

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +109/-35
Re: Injury TO with less than 1 min, and no runoff?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2022, 09:41:23 AM »
I don't think this is a loophole as there is an actual A.R. for exactly this situation (A.R. 3-3-5-IX). But I guess it might get changed whenever a coach with enough clout in the rules committee feels slighted by the current rule...

Online dammitbobby

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2022, 09:53:13 AM »
Ah, I didn't realize there was an AR for it already.  This is the first that I have seen this come into play, and I am sure other coaches will at least think about taking advantage of it now.

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2022, 10:24:40 AM »
As I read the original post, before I saw Kalle’s response, I immediately thought, “The 10SS only applies if the injury is the ONLY reason the clock stopped. But the clock also stopped for the first down, so, no opportunity for the 10SS.” Now, if he waits until the game clock is re-started, and then goes down with the injury, yes, a 10SS would be applicable. And that is supported by AR 3-3-5-IX.
Can a team still take advantage of the injury TO rule? Yes, it is possible. As Kalle says, if a high profile program gets the short end of the stick on such a situation, there could be a rule change. But that is as it is, for now.

High school coaches? Oh, yeah. (In Texas, anyway.) Just last Thursday, on three different occasions with long gains, had a team (on defense) have the same player flop on the ground with a claimed leg injury, to keep Team A from hurrying to snap the ball for the next down. My U says he heard them using the code word, “Sniper,” to alert the guy to fall down. Nothing we could do, but stop the clock for an Injury T/O. None were within the last minute of a half, so we didn’t have the 10SS to deal with. But it was excruciatingly obvious, nonetheless.

Offline Stinterp

• FAN REACTION: +4/-16
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2022, 01:35:55 PM »
No 10 SRO when a first down is made on the play

Online dammitbobby

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2022, 01:50:54 PM »
Yeah, I've just never seen an injury TO occur during that very narrow window, I'm used to Rs just winding quickly.