Football Officiating > Canadian Football League

Odd play interp

(1/1)

110:
I was watching some of the American NHFS videos available for download on this site. Most of the stuff is applicable to our game, of course, but one play got me thinking.

The play involved a dropped punt. Ball bouncing on the ground. The punter kicked the ball out out of bounds sideways, and the ball bounced out of bounds in the endzone.

My immediate reaction, and my rack-the-brain-for-rule reaction was the same: safety.

But then I got to thinking (always bad) ... is there another option? I can't see how, but ...

JugglingReferee:
I've got a safety as the only option.  I'll have to look into it more.

With_Two_Flakes:
I'd struggle to think of a game score/time situation where B wouldn't want to take the safety, but could they not theoretically take the 15 yd pen and make A kick again?

Big difference in NCAA since that foul is also a loss of down. So if the illegal kick is in the field of play, B may indeed want the 15yd spot foul and loss of down and take the ball in terrific field position and have a chance at 6pts rather than taking the result of the play and have the safety.

Anorak:

--- Quote from: With_Two_Flakes on September 09, 2010, 09:40:36 PM ---I'd struggle to think of a game score/time situation where B wouldn't want to take the safety, but could they not theoretically take the 15 yd pen and make A kick again?

Big difference in NCAA since that foul is also a loss of down. So if the illegal kick is in the field of play, B may indeed want the 15yd spot foul and loss of down and take the ball in terrific field position and have a chance at 6pts rather than taking the result of the play and have the safety.

--- End quote ---

There's no such thing as a penalty for illegal kicking in Canadian football.

I'm not exactly sure what "dropped punt" is meant to be, but the play as described sounds like a Safety Touch.

A punter kicking the ball through his own end zone is a safety touch. I remember seeing it a few years ago in a CFL game. A snap went over the Edmonton punter's head, and he just kicked it through his own end zone rather than trying to do anything else with it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version