Football Officiating > NCAA Discussion

Diversion of the Day

(1/1)

ElvisLives:
A bit boring, these days. Occupy your minds with this:
(Using 2022 rule changes, as we know them to be at this time.)

3/5, A-35, 1:30 (2), A=10, B=14.
At the snap, Team B is in a formation with 11 players. At the snap, Team A is in a formation with 6 eligible players, and 5 interior linemen wearing numbers 50-79. A55 snaps the ball with a backward pass to A12 at the A-32. A12 steps directly backward to the A-30, where he searches for an open receiver. Immediately after the snap, B99, from an initial position within one yard of the neutral zone, and within the width of the tackle box extended beyond the neutral zone, charges directly ahead and blocks A75 at the knees, at a point immediately on Team A’s side of neutral zone. Simultaneously at the snap, A66 charges ahead, but at slight angle toward a sideline, and contacts B72 at the side of B72’s knee at the A-34 (and within the tackle box, extended one yard beyond the NZ). A12 is still looking for an open receiver when back A33 blocks B51 at the knees, and with the “10-2” of B51’s area of concentration.   A12 throws a pass to A88, who completes the catch at the A-45 and runs out of bounds.
Ruling:

OK, explain the illegality, or legality, as applicable, of everything mentioned in this example.

dammitbobby:
No foul for BBW by B99 as he only has to be within 1 yard of LOS and within tackle box, and was immediate.
No foul for BBW by A66 as they have initial position completely inside tackle box, is immediate (initial line charge), and within 1 yard of LOS. Only a foul for side if the block is not from the front and ball has left tackle box (paraphrasing here)

Maybe a foul for A33, depends on where he lined up initially, to be legal he must have been lined up within the tackle box and A12 has not left the tackle box.

Rushing through here but thought I’d take a stab at it.

ElvisLives:

--- Quote from: dammitbobby on May 13, 2022, 03:52:12 PM ---No foul for BBW by B99 as he only has to be within 1 yard of LOS and within tackle box, and was immediate.
No foul for BBW by A66 as they have initial position completely inside tackle box, is immediate (initial line charge), and within 1 yard of LOS. Only a foul for side if the block is not from the front and ball has left tackle box (paraphrasing here)

Maybe a foul for A33, depends on where he lined up initially, to be legal he must have been lined up within the tackle box and A12 has not left the tackle box.

Rushing through here but thought I’d take a stab at it.

--- End quote ---

You found a gap in my 'setup.' I should have placed A33 as being stationary and within the TB at the snap. So his block would also be legal. My intent was for it all to be legal, based on 2022 rules.

Your use of the expression "immediate" as it relates to BBW may, or may not, be accurate. We simply don't know what "initial charge" really means, yet. It will take someone challenging Shaw, or their coordinator, on this issue to get answers.

I do take slight issue with your statement, "...and A12 has not left the tackle box." Assuming A12 is still the ball carrier, that would mean the ball would still be in the tackle box, and that is the critical element. Once the ball leaves the tackle box, whether carried, passed, kicked, or fumbled, then BBW is illegal by everyone, everywhere.

The good news is that BBW is FAR, FAR simpler to officiate, now. Looking forward to seeing what that looks like in real life.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version