Author Topic: Can't help but wonder...  (Read 10575 times)

Online ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
Can't help but wonder...
« on: March 12, 2020, 11:18:26 AM »
...if this Coronavirus crisis will extend into football season, and what impact it could have.  Anything from no effect, to possibly no season at all.  Frickin' bats...

Offline Grant - AR

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +63/-5
Re: Can't help but wonder...
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2020, 01:21:59 PM »
...if this Coronavirus crisis will extend into football season, and what impact it could have.  Anything from no effect, to possibly no season at all.  Frickin' bats...

As much as I love football, if it lasts that long, we have much bigger problems than no football this fall.  Anarchy will reign!

Offline Kalle

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +109/-35
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2020, 02:23:45 PM »
As much as I love football, if it lasts that long, we have much bigger problems than no football this fall.  Anarchy will reign!

Looking at the situation in China it seems that the main infection blows over in a month or two, so I'm really surprised if this affects the US season. It does affect us here in Finland, though, as our season starts in May and today the government banned all 500+ audience events and seriously recommends cancelling even smaller events until end of May...

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2020, 03:29:01 PM »
Late August is a LONG way away, and such a decision might better wait until considering the ACTUAL situation, in hand, a lot closer to that date.  Many of the events currently being cancelled, or restricted are happening at INDOOR venues, whereas football is played outdoors.  However, the situation and risk at the time should determine the corrective means considered necessary.

Offline js in sc

• FAN REACTION: +17/-7
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2020, 03:51:01 PM »
Late August is a LONG way away, and such a decision might better wait until considering the ACTUAL situation, in hand, a lot closer to that date.  Many of the events currently being cancelled, or restricted are happening at INDOOR venues, whereas football is played outdoors.  However, the situation and risk at the time should determine the corrective means considered necessary.
So is baseball and soccer.  Be that as it may, hopefully warmer weather will get rid of it.  Should have a vaccine by Fall.

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2020, 05:35:37 PM »
I just can't wrap my head around people hoarding all the toilet paper.  My household has about a 1 week supply and then we may have to resort to campstyle wiping.

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2020, 10:46:50 PM »
Be more woodsman and use leaves or a dollar!

Don’t be like the Aggie though, he was in the woods with no paper, his friend told him to use a dollar. Came out covered in poo!

Friend ask him what happened? Aggie said,” you ever try to wipe with 3 quarters 2 dimes and a nickel?”
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Online ElvisLives

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2020, 06:47:26 AM »
Be more woodsman and use leaves or a dollar!
Don’t be like the Aggie though, he was in the woods with no paper, his friend told him to use a dollar. Came out covered in poo!
Friend ask him what happened? Aggie said,” you ever try to wipe with 3 quarters 2 dimes and a nickel?”

I'm impressed that an Aggie knew that "3 quarters 2 dimes and a nickel" equaled one dollar.
I've always liked this one:  Do you know how to drive an Aggie crazy?  Put him in a round room and tell him there is a nickel in the corner.

But we digress.

More seriously, there are so many serious issues these righteous, but problematic, program/event disruptions/cancellations are creating.  How about the NCAA basketball players - particularly seniors (well, the ones that are left, anyway) that have lost opportunity to win a national championship and get major exposure toward an NBA career?  Will this affect eligibility at all? (Probably not, since they got in a full regular season, but a question the NCAA may need to address.)  But, what other sports are in progress that will/may get affected?  Like baseball.  A freshman/sophomore/junior baseball pitcher may be counting on getting his full slate of starts in preparation for the MLB draft.  Will he want to try to get his eligibility extended?  Hockey players?  Track? Golf?  And those aren't even really serious issues, when compared to people in the work force that may get laid off, or have their work hours/opportunities greatly reduced.
And then there is the overall economy as a whole.  I know my investments are taking a huge hit right now, but they are long-term things that I fully believe will recover.  But, with oil prices already dropping due to the price war being waged between middle eastern oil producers and Russia, this economic slow-down will, undoubtedly, cut into domestic production, which drives so, so much of Texas' economy, in particular.  Oilfield workers will be furloughed or laid off.  Think of all of those stadium/arena employees that suddenly don't have anything to do for a while.

I don't have any good answers.  But let's all do what we can to make this episode in American (world?) history as brief as possible.  Wash - and DRY - your hands. Thoroughly. Often. Try not to touch other people any more than necessary.  Don't sneeze or cough into open air (elbow, handkerchief, tissue, etc.).  Don't share food or drinks.  If you receive something from somebody - change, a book, a gift, merchandise in a store - take a moment to wipe them off with something (wash them, if possible), and then wash your hands.

These are extreme circumstances, which require extreme actions. For the overall good of the country, these disruptions/cancellations and personal hygiene steps are necessary.

Let's do our part.

Robert 

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2020, 08:05:06 AM »
The NCHSAA has suspended all athletic events until 4/6/20, effective at midnight tonight.  I have a private school softball game scheduled for this afternoon that will probably get whacked due to the ever present rain we've had so far.  I have worked one HS SB scrimmage to date.  Everything else I've been scheduled for has been washed out and now this.

My son, who is currently home from college on spring break, just got another week extended next week and then switches to on-line classes.

What happens when we all learn that we can really do without classrooms and team sports? 

Offline JasonTX

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2020, 12:59:32 PM »
I just had 2 baseball games cancel for today.

Added:  TAPPS (private schools in Texas) postponed all competition till April 12.   UIL  (Public School ) have postponed till March 29.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 04:08:34 PM by JasonTX »

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2020, 07:14:09 AM »
AHSAA has suspended play until April 11.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2020, 09:48:30 AM »
Simple thoughts about crappy things......,.

In my daze of youth , we used to visit Aunt Reba. Aunt Reba owned a farm. The farm had an outhouse. The outhouse had a thick Sears & Roebuck Catalog and a bucket of corn cobs. I lived to tell about it !

The first Coronavirus case appeared in Maine on Thursday. Our state has already cancelled the remainder of the school year for all state universities, and many of the private colleges have followed suit. The students are told that their courses can be taken on line.....SURE  ;) . The Maine Principals' Association has postponed tryouts & practice for spring sports until the end of April and canceled any event aimed at drawing a large crowd. I was scheduled to speak at a football coaches clinic yesterday. That was cancelled. I'm as disappointed as many of you with no March Madness, Celtics & Bruins heading into post-season, UMaine ice hockey hosting a post-season playoff for the first time in 10 years and UMaine women's basketball playing for the league championship.

We all love sports, be we need to realize that sports are entertainment. Many may feel that our national/state/local reaction is an over-kill. I feel it is being proactive and agree with Carol, that if this is still a problem come football season, cancelled games will be the least of our problems. After all, Sears & Roebuck no longer publishes a catalog and corn cobs are no longer treasured as much as they were in that bygone era.

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +23/-13
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2020, 07:01:23 PM »
this is a fascinating topic.
First, influenza affects 100x more than corona...but we have a vaccene for influenza virus, not corona.
Second: the Chinese government isnt the most transparent in the world, nor is Vietnam government (china neighbors to the south). - so this may be bigger than advertised.
Third: N1H1, aka swine, circa 2009, was very much worse than this. Thus, is it possible in today's media that there's different tactics (hype) today than we saw in 2009?

It's a different world we're in.

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2020, 09:50:24 PM »
Do you think the expansion to a 24 hour news cycle, at least a Bazillion more "news" sources and additional  means of delivering what now passes for "news", has had something to do with the quality of what we receive?

Offline js in sc

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2020, 10:15:53 PM »
Do you think the expansion to a 24 hour news cycle, at least a Bazillion more "news" sources and additional  means of delivering what now passes for "news", has had something to do with the quality of what we receive?
That and the fact the more the media scares people, the more they will tune in to hear them pontificate about topics they know nothing about.  More viewers, more ad revenue.  And the more they can blame the President.  Turn off the "news" and read a book.  Rule book would be nice.  yEs:

Online ElvisLives

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2020, 10:15:28 AM »
Since the 'neutral' days of Huntley-Brinkley, I have watched NBC Nightly News.  Even though I know they have turned decidedly liberal and politically correct.  I almost always watch the full half-hour.  Yesterday, however, after 15 minutes of gloom, doom, finger pointing, and calls for even more federal control on our lives, I got up and went to do something constructive.
If we all just use good hygiene and avoid big crowds for a while, we'll be alright.  No need to be so frickin' dramatic.
Go to work.  Or, at least go do something productive or helpful.  Stop waiting for handouts.  Take care of yourself.

Robert

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2020, 01:45:32 PM »
Events cancelled , schools closed , restaurants and banks limited to drive-thru only; every corner of our country is affected. While the cronoavirus isn't deadly like the black plague or small pox, crippling like polio or disfiguring like leporisy ; it is dangerous to us older people or ones with medical issues (I'm 74 and diabetic). A stat I heard yesterday (Fox News not fake news) was : death rate of coronavirus is 0.7% , of that 0.7%, 90% are either over 80 or with medical issues. It is said to be very contagious and without any current vaccine , dangerous to that high risk group.

In my daze of youth, my mother and grandmother gave my siblings and I strong instructions . I had forgotten them until recently.....

"DON'T JUST RUN WATER OVER YOUR HANDS, RUB THEM HARD UNTIL IT HURTS WITH SOAP AND HOT WATER !"
I found a use for my ReadyRef -which had retired with the addition of the back judge - as it now sits next to the bathroom sink and scrub hard until the 5" warning beeps.

"DON'T TOUCH YOUR FACE WHILE RIDING IN A CAR, FOR IF WE HIT A RUT, YOU MAY.......
  DRIVE YOUR FINGER INTO YOUR BRAIN IF PICKING YOUR NOSE; POKE OUT YOUR  EYE IF RUBBING IT; BITE THE END OF YOUR FINGER OFF IF CHEWING YOUR NAILS !"
It is a challenge not to touch your face, but these are good health habits to develop and are becoming easier each day. They say it takes  a month to develop a habit, either good or bad. Hopefully these will become automatic after then.

Thank all of you that are younger or healthier than me, for following the suggestions we are peppered with each day. If you have any suggestions that may help any of us please share.

I have a hard job staying serious thru these posts, so I wish to make the following observation......

Where everyone is staying at home without any sports to watch, in nine months a boom of babies will be born. Will we call them :THE CORONIALS ?

That's my rant of the day,
                                                                         Ralph

Online ElvisLives

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2020, 03:10:14 PM »
Coronials...I like it.  Let's just hope the country still bears some resemblance to the democracy based on free enterprise that we still have today, when they reach adulthood.  Some people would take it all away, so only an elite few could even have the possibility of more than basic comfort. After all, they know what's best for us (don't they?).

Let's all calm down and just lives our lives.  Just don't go kissin' strangers.

Robert

Offline JasonTX

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2020, 05:37:58 PM »
I bet we won't be seeing all those people at the grocery store helping themselves to sampling the grapes anymore.  On another note, I keep waiting on the TV to break through with that emergency broadcast system message, letting us know this has all been a test and that we could resume normal life.

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2020, 06:18:18 AM »
When they get to middle-school football playing age, we can call them “Quaranteenagers.”

Offline Punter

• FAN REACTION: +13/-27
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2020, 10:40:21 AM »
It really upsets me when I see anyone say that Fox News is the only news that is not “fake.”  Fox is the most slanted news of any of the outlets.  It borders on propaganda, and being an arm of the state.  I try to watch to see the perspective of the “right” but can only take it for a few minutes.  They definitely are the fakest of the fake news.  That being said CNN and MSNBC are almost the same for the left.  The only really news out there is probably   PBS.

All you have to see is how Fox started out the same as the President saying the Corona virus was a hoax and no big deal.  As the President changed his stance so did Fox.  Don’t fool yourself into believing Fox is “fair and balanced.”  They are surely not.  The best evidence is the following:

1.  Judge Peirero (I probably did not spell that right)
2.  Hannity
3.  Carlson

If you really believe these people report unbiased fair news, I have a bridge to sell you.

Offline JasonTX

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2020, 03:06:51 PM »
It really upsets me when I see anyone say that Fox News is the only news that is not “fake.”  Fox is the most slanted news of any of the outlets.  It borders on propaganda, and being an arm of the state.  I try to watch to see the perspective of the “right” but can only take it for a few minutes.  They definitely are the fakest of the fake news.  That being said CNN and MSNBC are almost the same for the left.  The only really news out there is probably   PBS.

All you have to see is how Fox started out the same as the President saying the Corona virus was a hoax and no big deal.  As the President changed his stance so did Fox.  Don’t fool yourself into believing Fox is “fair and balanced.”  They are surely not.  The best evidence is the following:

1.  Judge Peirero (I probably did not spell that right)
2.  Hannity
3.  Carlson

If you really believe these people report unbiased fair news, I have a bridge to sell you.
Sort of like when Trump got attacked when he issued the travel ban.  Too bad the others were so focused on impeachment instead of helping.  The fact is nobody knew how bad this was.  It has apparently progressively gotten worse.   At the time, it wasn't a big deal but it soon changed as did Trump.   We are human.

Offline Punter

• FAN REACTION: +13/-27
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2020, 03:21:02 PM »
You are trying to pivot. My post was not about Trump but rather about Fox being “fake” and slanted to whatever Trump says.

As far as your post, this is one heck of a mistake for the leader of our country. If he took it seriously from the beginning, maybe the entire country would not be shut down, and the markets crashing.  This is not just a little “mistake,” it is a disaster.  Trump said the Corona virus was hoax (come on get real that is much more than a mistake and definitely shows a lack of leadership on the most dangerous issue facing our country and economy probably since the Great Depression). He never takes responsibility for anything it is always someone else’s fault.  Whatever happened to the “buck stops here”. He has 0 leadership abilities.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 03:29:05 PM by Punter »

Offline js in sc

« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2020, 03:44:30 PM »
You are trying to pivot. My post was not about Trump but rather about Fox being “fake” and slanted to whatever Trump says.

As far as your post, this is one heck of a mistake for the leader of our country. If he took it seriously from the beginning, maybe the entire country would not be shut down, and the markets crashing.  This is not just a little “mistake,” it is a disaster.  Trump said the Corona virus was hoax (come on get real that is much more than a mistake and definitely shows a lack of leadership on the most dangerous issue facing our country and economy probably since the Great Depression). He never takes responsibility for anything it is always someone else’s fault.  Whatever happened to the “buck stops here”. He has 0 leadership abilities.
Can you provide a source that he called it a hoax, not an un-named source but a quote from him.  I have not heard that before.