Author Topic: O2O Security  (Read 623 times)

Offline nfcso

• FAN REACTION: +2/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
O2O Security
« on: August 31, 2022, 10:22:40 PM »
Think your O2O is secure communication?  Think again!

In the years since we've started using O2O's I've seen several people who have told me they use secure radios.  I made a short video to explain this technology and why our systems are not secure.  Please share this video freely with your associations or whomever.  We need to let officials know how easy it is to listen to us on the field and make sure we use our systems responsibly. 

Hope everyone has a great season!

https://youtu.be/rfpgpkVFTNY

Offline lukez

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
Re: O2O Security
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2022, 01:46:05 AM »
Nicely done.  Thank you!

This is why I try to remind officials to only say into the radio what you want other people to hear, and have a plan to switch channels if you get interference.

It's also worth pointing out that if an official has a radio on their belt that shows the channel and privacy code, any spectators you walk past can see that information as well.

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +125/-22
Re: O2O Security
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2022, 08:33:35 PM »
I have obtained some Motorola DLR 1020's that operate in the license free ISM band.  I cobbled together a set of 5 off of eBay for about $500.  I will have to obtain some replacement batteries so I'm not sure if I will get to use them this season.

I also have a set of Motorola business band radios that I would like to obtain a license and use on an itinerant biz frequency but the FCC doesn't make obtaining one very simple and it isn't worth it to pay a freq coordinator $300.