RefStripes.com

Football Officiating => NCAA Discussion => Topic started by: agegbg on July 29, 2013, 05:53:39 AM

Title: Dead ball foul after the time runs out
Post by: agegbg on July 29, 2013, 05:53:39 AM
3&11 @ B45 The score is A 12 B 16
A5 pass to A11 that runs to B35
B25 make a late hit on A11
The time run out under the play..

For me the game should be over..
But do you have any other suggestions?
Title: Re: Dead ball foul after the time runs out
Post by: RunRickyRun on July 29, 2013, 06:13:39 AM
The only amendments I am aware of to the axiom - "The game cannot end on an accepted penalty" are

1) A mandatory clock run-off results in the end of the game - not applicable

or

2) Rule 3-1-3-g:

Since we are talking about a late hit foul, even the Overtime provision to end the game is excepted.

As I understand it, we must continue play:
One untimed down - Team A 1st & 10 from the B-20.
Title: Re: Dead ball foul after the time runs out
Post by: Kalle on July 29, 2013, 06:37:37 AM
The only amendments I am aware of to the axiom - "The game cannot end on an accepted penalty" are

Please read rule 3-2-3-a. The only situations where the period is extended are if there is a live-ball foul and the penalty is accepted, there are offsetting fouls, there is an inadvertent whistle, or a touchdown is scored (extend only for the try). A dead-ball foul does not cause the period to be extended.

In the original play situation, game over, team B wins.
Title: Re: Dead ball foul after the time runs out
Post by: NVFOA_Ump on July 29, 2013, 08:21:18 AM
The only amendments I am aware of to the axiom - "The game cannot end on an accepted penalty" .....

Keep in mind that under the rules the game ended when the ball was declared dead at the end of the run on the B-35 with 0 time on the game clock.  Since the game has already ended prior to the DB foul, there is no penalty enforcement.
Title: Re: Dead ball foul after the time runs out
Post by: JasonTX on July 29, 2013, 10:29:09 AM
Game over when it hits zero per the rules Kalle posted.  Anything that happens after that falls into the hands of the local security. 
Title: Re: Dead ball foul after the time runs out
Post by: bmtjim on July 29, 2013, 10:38:13 AM
Just a random thought, but what if the foul was for targeting?  Would the provision for disqualification for the first half of the next game automatically take place, or would the conference have to decide?
Title: Re: Dead ball foul after the time runs out
Post by: RunRickyRun on July 29, 2013, 11:48:49 AM
Please read ...
Thanks guys.

Every time I feel like I have a grasp on a rules situation, I find out I have a long way to go. :bOW