RefStripes.com

Football Officiating => NCAA Discussion => Topic started by: tx29 on November 30, 2013, 08:11:15 PM

Title: Ala v UA
Post by: tx29 on November 30, 2013, 08:11:15 PM
What a finish.  Did the L just get sucked in on the play thinking nothing else was going to happen?  I know that the RO would have gotten an OB but C. Davis was tip-toeing down that sideline pretty tightly.
Title: Re: Ala v UA
Post by: TxJim on November 30, 2013, 08:19:21 PM
I saw that too.  Have to hope that F hustled over from under the upright, but have not seen a wide enough replay to see if he did in time.
Title: Re: Ala v UA
Post by: Andrew McCarthy on November 30, 2013, 08:55:00 PM
I know that the RO would have gotten an OB.
Based on the two earlier touchdowns he overturned I'm surprised he didn't buzz and overturn that last play.
Title: Re: Ala v UA
Post by: Joe Stack on November 30, 2013, 09:41:06 PM
The returner didn't step out but it would have been a disaster had he done so. Nobody would have gotten it. Can replay bail them out in that situation?
Title: Re: Ala v UA
Post by: Clear Lake ref on November 30, 2013, 10:29:58 PM
Yes. 
Title: Re: Ala v UA
Post by: Paumpire on November 30, 2013, 10:37:59 PM
On the final play. Anyone else see that player in the back field waving his hand back and forth? Could that have been considered a fair catch signal? while the ball was in flight.


I wouldnt have called just curious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqIBNX0CXDc
Title: Re: Ala v UA
Post by: Rulesman on November 30, 2013, 10:46:39 PM
On the final play. Anyone else see that player in the back field waving his hand back and forth? Could that have been considered a fair catch signal? while the ball was in flight.

I wouldnt have called just curious.
Not in a million years.
Title: Re: Ala v UA
Post by: Clear Lake ref on December 01, 2013, 12:02:09 AM
The call of the century would have been UNS for altering his stride at the 1.
Title: Re: Ala v UA
Post by: TXMike on December 01, 2013, 07:05:33 AM
On the final play. Anyone else see that player in the back field waving his hand back and forth? Could that have been considered a fair catch signal? while the ball was in flight.


I wouldnt have called just curious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqIBNX0CXDc
  He was trying to distract the kicker and it seemed he stopped before ball was even kicked.
Title: Re: Ala v UA
Post by: centexsports on December 01, 2013, 08:13:14 AM
I thought the no call that might have changed the game was on the previous TD.   It looked to me like an offensive lineman was almost 5 yards downfield when the QB released the ball.
Title: Re: Ala v UA
Post by: dvasques on December 01, 2013, 08:13:54 AM
Seemed to me like he was trying to pump up the crowds and I don't think he was still doing it while the ball was in flight
Title: Re: Ala v UA
Post by: Paumpire on December 01, 2013, 12:13:51 PM
yea just food for thought.

That drew my eye when I saw it.  great game to watch.  I thought the guys did a good job officiating.
Title: Re: Ala v UA
Post by: 940AC on December 01, 2013, 12:43:51 PM
at 4:26 in 4th qtr

helmet to helmet... no flag on the tackle on the punt return
Title: Re: Re: Ala v UA
Post by: Welpe on December 01, 2013, 08:49:56 PM
at 4:26 in 4th qtr

helmet to helmet... no flag on the tackle on the punt return

Helmet to helmet is not a foul unless it rises to the level of targeting. Did it?
Title: Re: Ala v UA
Post by: NorCalMike on December 02, 2013, 12:35:28 AM
What a finish.  Did the L just get sucked in on the play thinking nothing else was going to happen?  I know that the RO would have gotten an OB but C. Davis was tip-toeing down that sideline pretty tightly.
Don't know the college mechanic. Does the L crash on PAT's to help break up the scrum. This is common for the L or the H during PAT's so I thought he might have done this.
Title: Re: Ala v UA
Post by: Rulesman on December 02, 2013, 07:55:15 AM
Don't know the college mechanic. Does the L crash on PAT's to help break up the scrum. This is common for the L or the H during PAT's so I thought he might have done this.
I'm thinking he crashed as you said, then found himself in no-man's land when the play unfolded.
Title: Re: Ala v UA
Post by: houstonjaguar on December 02, 2013, 02:50:30 PM
I thought the no call that might have changed the game was on the previous TD.   It looked to me like an offensive lineman was almost 5 yards downfield when the QB released the ball.

That was the fullback.  The LG was about 3 yards downfield.
Title: Re: Ala v UA
Post by: tbarnes13 on December 02, 2013, 03:06:33 PM
Could be the greatest finish to a game since "the band came on the field".
Title: Re: Ala v UA
Post by: Rulesman on December 02, 2013, 03:51:22 PM
Could be the greatest finish to a game since "the band came on the field".
Or, at least according to Auburn fans, the Georgia game 2 weeks earlier.
Title: Re: Ala v UA
Post by: clearwall on December 02, 2013, 04:08:03 PM
The call of the century would have been UNS for altering his stride at the 1.

Would have had an untimed down for that, correct? FG try from the 16?
Title: Re: Re: Ala v UA
Post by: 940AC on December 02, 2013, 05:47:35 PM
Helmet to helmet is not a foul unless it rises to the level of targeting. Did it?

What is your opinion of the hit? To me, yes, it was targeting.
Title: Re: Ala v UA
Post by: Clear Lake ref on December 03, 2013, 12:29:01 AM
Would have had an untimed down for that, correct? FG try from the 16?

Yep.  Would have been interesting.