RefStripes.com

Football Officiating => NCAA Discussion => Topic started by: TXMike on December 08, 2013, 08:11:08 PM

Title: Chop Block ?
Post by: TXMike on December 08, 2013, 08:11:08 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hc-aO6b1Ql0
Title: Re: Chop Block ?
Post by: mishatx on December 08, 2013, 08:35:04 PM
The two guards?  From the camera angle, neither block looks to be initially low.
Title: Re: Chop Block ?
Post by: Rulesman on December 08, 2013, 08:46:42 PM
The two guards?  From the camera angle, neither block looks to be initially low.
Agree
Title: Re: Chop Block ?
Post by: fencewire on December 08, 2013, 09:49:52 PM
Nothing..
Title: Re: Chop Block ?
Post by: bossman72 on December 08, 2013, 10:16:16 PM
I got nothing
Title: Re: Chop Block ?
Post by: Kalle on December 09, 2013, 01:34:33 AM
High-high combination block. Legal.
Title: Re: Chop Block ?
Post by: NVFOA_Ump on December 09, 2013, 07:20:51 AM
I agree - no foul here.  A good clip to show an example of why we need to watch the whole play starting with the initial contact.  If we look a bit late here, looks like a chop.  Both blocks start above the waist so we have legal blocks.
Title: Re: Chop Block ?
Post by: RunRickyRun on December 09, 2013, 08:30:18 AM
No Foul.

I do have a question for more experienced umpires.  I had a similar block in a game this season - both OGs fired out onto NG and the C appeared to be trying to pull.  IYO, is this correct execution or is somebody blocking the wrong guy? 

In the situation I had, the C was actually tripped by his LG and wound up crashing down on the NG as well - helmet to knee.  I never saw the scheme again in that game or any other.  I felt it had to be a mistake which resulted in a rather ugly collision.
Title: Re: Chop Block ?
Post by: blindref757 on December 11, 2013, 03:05:00 PM
Its a mistake when a defender grabs a facemask but it is still a foul.  Chop block is a safety call...you can't really judge on intent.  Either it puts the defender at risk of a serious knee injury or it doesn't.
Title: Re: Chop Block ?
Post by: StudyingFutureZebra on December 12, 2013, 12:49:10 PM
No foul. Lower block was at the waist, not below the knees. (NFHS 2-4 article 8)

Title: Re: Chop Block ?
Post by: RunRickyRun on December 13, 2013, 09:45:44 PM
Its a mistake when a defender grabs a facemask but it is still a foul.  Chop block is a safety call...you can't really judge on intent.  Either it puts the defender at risk of a serious knee injury or it doesn't.
Agreed.  I had a foul.  I'm simply asking about the blocking scheme.