Team A kicks, and right around the time the ball is crossing the 45 yard line a player from Team A executes what appears to be a legal block. The WH announces two fouls on the play: offsides, a 5 yard penalty, and illegal block because they blocked before the ball went 10 yards, a 10 yard penalty. He gave the PF illegal block signal rather than the illegal procedure signal. I didn't see any indication of an illegal block (well above the waist and not to the head), although it certainly looked like KCI under the new exception where the ball bounces off the ground immediately. The R then came back and corrected himself an announced that the penalty was 15 yards, not 10.
I understand this turn of events not at all. It looks like the penalty should have been KCI, and if you did not call KCI, then the penalty should have been 5 yards. Am I missing something?
The foul was at 11:22 remaining in the 2nd, for those inclined to find video.