Author Topic: I havent seen any action on the site, so here is a question  (Read 4865 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Navcom

  • *
  • Posts: 87
  • FAN REACTION: +3/-0
  • The Action is the Juice...............I'm in.
I havent seen any action on the site, so here is a question
« on: April 05, 2020, 12:17:26 PM »
 A3/8@B-20 There are 0:31 seconds on the running game clock. A sends in the FG unit
and the ball is snapped at 0:15. The holder misses the snap and the ball rolls towards the
kicker A1 who (in a panic) kicks the grounded ball which goes OB at the B22. the clock
stops at 0:09. Ruling? Clock?

Offline Kalle

  • Administrator
  • *****
  • Posts: 3451
  • FAN REACTION: +114/-35
Re: I havent seen any action on the site, so here is a question
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2020, 12:26:22 PM »
10 yards from the spot of the foul, fourth down and whatever. The clock was stopped due to a backward pass going out of bounds in the last two minutes of the half, so the game clock starts on the snap.

I guess you could call this similar to intentionally throwing a backward pass out of bounds to conserve time and invoke 3-4-3 and have a 10-second runoff to end the game, but that is a bit of a stretch to me.

Online ElvisLives

  • *
  • Posts: 4636
  • FAN REACTION: +188/-188
  • The rules are there if you need them.
Re: I havent seen any action on the site, so here is a question
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2020, 03:44:48 PM »
A3/8@B-20 There are 0:31 seconds on the running game clock. A sends in the FG unit
and the ball is snapped at 0:15. The holder misses the snap and the ball rolls towards the
kicker A1 who (in a panic) kicks the grounded ball
which goes OB at the B22. the clock
stops at 0:09. Ruling? Clock?

Regarding Kalle's very valid comment that there is 'possibility' of using 3-4-3, the criterion would seem to be whether on not he consciously kicked the ball, albeit illegally, with the hopes of having the ball go out of bounds, to stop the clock.  In some higher levels of football, there actually are some folks that are smart enough, and savvy enough on rules, to do something like that.  However, I suspect, in this case, since the statement says that he was "in a panic," that would suggest that he was more likely trying to a) kick the ball in hopes that it would, somehow, score a field goal, or b) he was trying to keep Team B from recovering the ball.  In either case, I don't see an obviously unfair tactic.  10 yards from the spot of the kick, loss of down (4th down now), play clock = 25, and game clock starts on the snap.  Team A gets another chance.

I assure you, the Team B head coach is going to pitch a royal fit that this was an unsuccessful field goal attempt, they should get the ball at the B22.  The spectators will probably also think you screwed up.  Nope, you got it right.  Press on.

Offline centexsports

  • *
  • Posts: 233
  • FAN REACTION: +6/-9
Re: I havent seen any action on the site, so here is a question
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2020, 09:20:11 AM »
NO problem with the above.

What if he catches it on a good hop and it does go through the uprights?   I know it is not a FG but where would it be spotted et al?

Offline Legacy Zebra

  • *
  • Posts: 1035
  • FAN REACTION: +56/-11
Re: I havent seen any action on the site, so here is a question
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2020, 10:00:55 AM »
You still have a backward pass that goes out of bounds. A’s kick is responsible for it going behind B’s goal line, so the result of the play is a touchback. The illegal kicking would still be 10 yards and loss of down from the spot of the foul. So B can choose from that enforcement or the touchback. Either way, snap/25 because of the TB.

Team B can NOT take the touchback and then tack on the 10 yards there. They have to choose one or the other.

Online ElvisLives

  • *
  • Posts: 4636
  • FAN REACTION: +188/-188
  • The rules are there if you need them.
Re: I havent seen any action on the site, so here is a question
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2020, 01:08:26 PM »
NO problem with the above.

What if he catches it on a good hop and it does go through the uprights?   I know it is not a FG but where would it be spotted et al?

Careful with terminology.  He couldn’t catch the ball, period - it wasn’t in flight.  I think you meant that, after a favorable bounce, he happened to kick the loose ball with enough force to cause the ball to pass through the goal. The rest is as legacy said.

And get video.

Offline centexsports

  • *
  • Posts: 233
  • FAN REACTION: +6/-9
Re: I havent seen any action on the site, so here is a question
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2020, 03:39:47 PM »
Correct.   "Catches" should have been a lucky bounce (ie - the ball bounced just right so he could kick it with enough height to get it airborne and through the uprights.

25 yard line?  Wouldn't it be the 20? 

Offline Legacy Zebra

  • *
  • Posts: 1035
  • FAN REACTION: +56/-11
Re: I havent seen any action on the site, so here is a question
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2020, 04:33:56 PM »
Yes the TB is to the 20. If you’re referring to my “snap/25”, that is in reference to clock status. Game clock on the snap, play clock on 25.