Author Topic: Georgia-Vandy Targeting  (Read 28452 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline RMR

  • *
  • Posts: 518
  • FAN REACTION: +10/-6
Re: Georgia-Vandy Targeting
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2013, 09:42:50 AM »
So I take it pragmatists don't make good officials.

When do you plan to finally pull the trigger and get on the field?  What's holding you up?
"Just because you don't understand it, doesn't mean it's wrong."

Offline Welpe

  • *
  • Posts: 1860
  • FAN REACTION: +28/-11
Re: Georgia-Vandy Targeting
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2013, 10:35:41 AM »
That is a great point, Diablo.

Offline Clear Lake ref

  • *
  • Posts: 237
  • FAN REACTION: +5/-2
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Re: Georgia-Vandy Targeting
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2013, 10:41:12 AM »
As others have said, there are several things in the rules I disagree with, but you call it the way it is written. 

For instance, I think a late hit OOB should extend possession if occurring on 4th down.  It doesn't and I have twice had to explain to a coach why the other team gets the ball.

StudyingFutureZebra

  • Guest
Re: Georgia-Vandy Targeting
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2013, 11:33:02 AM »
When do you plan to finally pull the trigger and get on the field?  What's holding you up?

Obviously not this season, mainly because I just haven't had time. I'm a college student, so next season I'm going to have to schedule classes away from Thursday and Friday afternoons.

I must ask though, do crews usually carpool to games? Being in college, I didn't have a need for a vehicle, so travelling 50 miles to a game is obviously out of the question.

Also, I'm really not in shape. That was why I skipped signing up this year was because I figured, "If you can't keep up with the play, you won't be in this business very long."

Offline James

  • *
  • Posts: 692
  • FAN REACTION: +7/-6
Re: Georgia-Vandy Targeting
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2013, 01:26:02 AM »
Football is a dangerous game by design. If you want player safety, play flag football. And it's really not that dangerous considering some of the other sports out there. Watch Rugby or Australian Football. 100 times more brutal and it makes American Football look like Tennis in terms of safety.
As someone who has played all three sports at a competitive level I will tell you, that the number of hard hits in either Rugby or Footie is maybe 10% of that in American Football. In the other sports they have the annoying (for me at least) tendency of throwing the ball away just before you can tackle them - so you have to pull up. The rules in both sports (easy to find online - look for them under 'Laws') strictly define what is and is not acceptable - tackles above the shoulders are completely illegal in both. With Footie, if you have commited to picking up the ball and have your 'head over it', and someone else tries to come in for it - or for you it is a 50yard penalty. In rugby a tackle to the head area can have you removed for 10 minutes (or ejected for that matter). In both sports they are taught to tackle with the head on the BACKSIDE of the ball carrier (something I never really got).
In American Football a high percentage of all plays end in a tackles. The players are taught to put their head IN FRONT of the ball carrier.

My rule of thumb on that is that I'd only flag you for hitting the QB if you hit him more than 2 seconds after the ball is thrown.
Your rule of thumb however is as a spectator, and neither as a player or official. The rule on roughing is basically unchanged from 2000 (my first rulebook) - the difference is on the emphasis we are told to put on the contact.

Offline RMR

  • *
  • Posts: 518
  • FAN REACTION: +10/-6
Re: Georgia-Vandy Targeting
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2013, 09:59:49 AM »
Obviously not this season, mainly because I just haven't had time. I'm a college student, so next season I'm going to have to schedule classes away from Thursday and Friday afternoons.

I must ask though, do crews usually carpool to games? Being in college, I didn't have a need for a vehicle, so travelling 50 miles to a game is obviously out of the question.

Also, I'm really not in shape. That was why I skipped signing up this year was because I figured, "If you can't keep up with the play, you won't be in this business very long."

I can't speak for anywhere else, but in Louisiana, crews are expected to travel together to varsity contests.

No time like the present to start getting into shape for next season.  Don't try to do it in July - start now.
"Just because you don't understand it, doesn't mean it's wrong."