Author Topic: Navy/Middle Tennessee targeting  (Read 58853 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Rulesman

  • Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 3839
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
Re: Navy/Middle Tennessee targeting
« Reply #50 on: December 31, 2013, 07:55:53 PM »
And here another crew, this time in the Chick-Fil-A Bowl, the crew is targeting a specific player with a non-existent UNS and now a personal foul call. He did not do ANYTHING on either of them.
They never do. Isn't it amazing how the crew is always wrong?
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline RMR

  • *
  • Posts: 518
  • FAN REACTION: +10/-6
Re: Navy/Middle Tennessee targeting
« Reply #51 on: December 31, 2013, 08:02:37 PM »
And here another crew, this time in the Chick-Fil-A Bowl, the crew is targeting a specific player with a non-existent UNS and now a personal foul call. He did not do ANYTHING on either of them.

So you heard what Evans said to the side judge? Remarkable.
"Just because you don't understand it, doesn't mean it's wrong."

Offline psv

  • *
  • Posts: 279
  • FAN REACTION: +14/-14
Re: Navy/Middle Tennessee targeting
« Reply #52 on: December 31, 2013, 08:41:19 PM »
I edited this post again.  It still didn't strike the correct tone for discussion on this board.  I need to just stick to my "No commenting on Texas A&M" posts.

I hope everyone has a safe new years eve and a great 2014.

Also, overall I thought the crew did a great job in this game.  Hopefully my comments didn't make it seem otherwise (there is no perfect game).
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 11:08:24 PM by psv »

Offline psv

  • *
  • Posts: 279
  • FAN REACTION: +14/-14
Re: Navy/Middle Tennessee targeting
« Reply #53 on: December 31, 2013, 08:45:27 PM »
You know, I should just follow my rules about not commenting on Texas A&M games...  ^good
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 09:28:00 PM by psv »

Offline RMR

  • *
  • Posts: 518
  • FAN REACTION: +10/-6
Re: Navy/Middle Tennessee targeting
« Reply #54 on: December 31, 2013, 08:46:55 PM »
They're just picking on the poor Aggies.
"Just because you don't understand it, doesn't mean it's wrong."

Offline BoBo

  • *
  • Posts: 227
  • FAN REACTION: +1/-1
Re: Navy/Middle Tennessee targeting
« Reply #55 on: December 31, 2013, 08:47:27 PM »
psv you a Texass a&m grad

Offline TXMike

  • *
  • Posts: 8775
  • FAN REACTION: +229/-269
  • When you quit learning you quit living
Re: Navy/Middle Tennessee targeting
« Reply #56 on: December 31, 2013, 08:54:05 PM »
2d one shoul have been UNS also and his butt tossed

Offline TxSkyBolt

  • *
  • Posts: 2007
  • FAN REACTION: +45/-46
Re: Navy/Middle Tennessee targeting
« Reply #57 on: December 31, 2013, 08:54:30 PM »
SFZ I've been giving you the benefit of the doubt so far, but you've now lost all credibility. Do us a favor and quit posting please. I'm sure there are some fan boards that would welcome your flame posts.

Offline psv

  • *
  • Posts: 279
  • FAN REACTION: +14/-14
Re: Navy/Middle Tennessee targeting
« Reply #58 on: December 31, 2013, 08:54:48 PM »
Happy New Years!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 11:10:04 PM by psv »

Offline psv

  • *
  • Posts: 279
  • FAN REACTION: +14/-14
Re: Navy/Middle Tennessee targeting
« Reply #59 on: December 31, 2013, 08:57:00 PM »
2d one shoul have been UNS also and his butt tossed

Yeah, I wonder how he didn't get tossed?  They called it PF did they not?

Offline JasonTX

  • *
  • Posts: 3002
  • FAN REACTION: +114/-59
Re: Navy/Middle Tennessee targeting
« Reply #60 on: December 31, 2013, 09:11:35 PM »
Yeah, I wonder how he didn't get tossed?  They called it PF did they not?

yes they called it a PF so he wasn't DQ'd

Offline Rulesman

  • Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 3839
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
Re: Navy/Middle Tennessee targeting
« Reply #61 on: December 31, 2013, 09:14:05 PM »
yes they called it a PF so he wasn't DQ'd
Cutaia tweeted that same thing shortly after it happened.
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline BoBo

  • *
  • Posts: 227
  • FAN REACTION: +1/-1
Re: Navy/Middle Tennessee targeting
« Reply #62 on: December 31, 2013, 09:26:52 PM »
therein lies the issue, where we have rules and we as officials are afraid of repercussions if we make that call that might disqualify someone. its the players actions that dictate the flag, we just enforce the penalty for the action. stand up and make the right call.

Offline psv

  • *
  • Posts: 279
  • FAN REACTION: +14/-14
Re: Navy/Middle Tennessee targeting
« Reply #63 on: December 31, 2013, 09:31:43 PM »
therein lies the issue, where we have rules and we as officials are afraid of repercussions if we make that call that might disqualify someone. its the players actions that dictate the flag, we just enforce the penalty for the action. stand up and make the right call.

I completely agree with that.  I am just curious what the second one was for.  If you watch the play, unless he did something off camera, it didn't seem like anything was there.  If Evans took a swing, flipped him off, then he should sit the rest of the game.

StudyingFutureZebra

  • Guest
Re: Navy/Middle Tennessee targeting
« Reply #64 on: December 31, 2013, 09:34:54 PM »
I'm just frustrated. I've always wanted to be an official, but apparently people who want to know "why" don't make it. I always thought I had a shot because the "reasons" I'd heard I couldn't had nothing to do with officiating to begin with.

Offline psv

  • *
  • Posts: 279
  • FAN REACTION: +14/-14
Re: Navy/Middle Tennessee targeting
« Reply #65 on: December 31, 2013, 09:39:43 PM »
I'm just frustrated. I've always wanted to be an official, but apparently people who want to know "why" don't make it. I always thought I had a shot because the "reasons" I'd heard I couldn't had nothing to do with officiating to begin with.

If you want to be an official, go be one.  I cant imagine you live in an area that has an over abundance of officials.  Get in touch with the organization that handles officials for your area and start doing 7th and 8th grade ball.  I think you will enjoy it and I think it will alter how you see the game.  But you have to get on the field and start somewhere.

Offline InsideTheStripes

  • *
  • Posts: 272
  • FAN REACTION: +0/-5
Re: Navy/Middle Tennessee targeting
« Reply #66 on: December 31, 2013, 09:52:37 PM »
I'm just frustrated. I've always wanted to be an official, but apparently people who want to know "why" don't make it. I always thought I had a shot because the "reasons" I'd heard I couldn't had nothing to do with officiating to begin with.

Asking 'why' isn't a problem.  Asking 'why' and then not listening, or worse, arguing with people that have infinitely more experience with both the letter and application of the rules, is a problem.  Listen more than you speak; it's good advice in both officiating and life.

StudyingFutureZebra

  • Guest
Re: Navy/Middle Tennessee targeting
« Reply #67 on: December 31, 2013, 10:39:02 PM »
Well, I found the local association, and one member is a Big 10 crew chief/Referee who I know has done a Rose Bowl and if my memory serves me correctly, a BCS National Championship Game as well. So I'll pay the $25 and join and wait until the spring when the MHSAA starts registration for the '14 season. I'm going to do this.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 03:52:30 PM by StudyingFutureZebra »

Offline TXMike

  • *
  • Posts: 8775
  • FAN REACTION: +229/-269
  • When you quit learning you quit living
Re: Navy/Middle Tennessee targeting
« Reply #68 on: January 01, 2014, 07:56:53 AM »
based on the video, I have to agree that this clearly is not targeting.  The hit was to the shoulder (which is nowhere near the manubrium).  There was a launch, but not a lead with the helmet, nor a blow to the head or neck area

I believe when RR reviews, the navy guy will get to be on both ends of RR indicating that the IR was wrong.

By rule, this is not targeting.
Let's make a wager.  $25 to the charity of the other person's choosing.  If this play makes the CFO videos, it will be called targeting.  I already owe $25 to St Jude's after losing a wager to Rulesman.  Help me get $25 for Fisher House. 

Fatman325

  • Guest
Re: Navy/Middle Tennessee targeting
« Reply #69 on: January 01, 2014, 09:47:35 AM »
Let's see how long we can continue this thread. What is the proper enforcement for this penalty?

A 15 yards from the previous spot (which A would decline) automatic first down and DQ #8
Or
B Half the distance from the end of the run automatic first down and DQ # 8?

Happy New Year

Offline Kalle

  • Administrator
  • *****
  • Posts: 3451
  • FAN REACTION: +114/-35
Re: Navy/Middle Tennessee targeting
« Reply #70 on: January 01, 2014, 09:59:34 AM »
Technically this is a basic spot foul, so from the previous spot. I don't think anybody would have a problem with enforcing from the end of the last run.

Offline bama_stripes

  • *
  • Posts: 3196
  • FAN REACTION: +126/-29
Re: Navy/Middle Tennessee targeting
« Reply #71 on: January 01, 2014, 12:03:28 PM »
Well, I found the local association, and one member is a Big 10 head official who I know has done a Rose Bowl and if my memory serves me correctly, a BCS National Championship Game as well. So I'll pay the $25 and join and wait until the spring when the MHSAA starts registration for the '14 season. I'm going to do this.

Good for you!

I encourage you to contact the "Big 10 head official" and ask him for the name of someone in the group who can mentor you.

I also encourage you to let him read some of your posts on this site & ask him for his feedback.

tx29

  • Guest
Re: Navy/Middle Tennessee targeting
« Reply #72 on: January 01, 2014, 09:31:54 PM »
Evans was acting stupid, and because he has a rep, the S went ahead and gave him a UNS.  Another player probably would've got a talk to, unless he did comment on his mom or or what he does to mothers, he probably should've gotten a talk to on this one too.  The second was definitely there.  I was afraid that they were going to give him a (justified) LBPF but the DBPF actually helped with a 1st down.   13 just does stupid crap and I hope he leaves to cause problems in the League.

Offline psv

  • *
  • Posts: 279
  • FAN REACTION: +14/-14
Re: Navy/Middle Tennessee targeting
« Reply #73 on: January 01, 2014, 11:53:18 PM »
Evans was acting stupid, and because he has a rep, the S went ahead and gave him a UNS.  Another player probably would've got a talk to, unless he did comment on his mom or or what he does to mothers, he probably should've gotten a talk to on this one too.  The second was definitely there.  I was afraid that they were going to give him a (justified) LBPF but the DBPF actually helped with a 1st down.   13 just does stupid crap and I hope he leaves to cause problems in the League.

What did you see on the second one?

Offline Welpe

  • *
  • Posts: 1860
  • FAN REACTION: +28/-11
Re: Navy/Middle Tennessee targeting
« Reply #74 on: January 02, 2014, 09:11:25 AM »
I'm just frustrated. I've always wanted to be an official, but apparently people who want to know "why" don't make it. I always thought I had a shot because the "reasons" I'd heard I couldn't had nothing to do with officiating to begin with.

Then sack up, quit your crying and take the test. In the mean time, please quit telling people who've BTDT anything when you haven't. It's gotten really old and I, for one, am really sick of reading it.

I will say this, if you are as resistant to feedback in person as you are on this forum, you're in for a short career.