Author Topic: Question about AR 6-5-3-I  (Read 4077 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline dvasques

  • *
  • Posts: 508
  • FAN REACTION: +13/-2
Question about AR 6-5-3-I
« on: March 30, 2020, 05:57:36 PM »
So, if "rules pertaining to a fair catch apply only when a scrimmage kick crosses the neutral zone or during free kicks." and "an invalid signal beyond the neutral zone is possible only when the ball has crossed the neutral zone", why is the ball dead when caught, without crossing the neutral zone in AR 6-5-3-I?

Offline Legacy Zebra

  • *
  • Posts: 1035
  • FAN REACTION: +56/-11
Re: Question about AR 6-5-3-I
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2020, 06:19:02 PM »
Because they didn't give an invalid signal, they gave a valid signal. And the ball is always dead when caught or recovered after a valid signal. But, just because it was a valid signal doesn't mean it was a fair catch. A fair catch is only possible on a kick that crosses the neutral zone. So in the AR, it's not a fair catch, but it is dead because they gave a valid fair catch signal.

Offline bossman72

  • *
  • Posts: 2378
  • FAN REACTION: +312/-29
Re: Question about AR 6-5-3-I
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2020, 06:51:20 PM »
They changed that AR about 6 years ago or so.  It never used to say the ball is dead.

Realistically, if the ball gets popped up and you signal for a FC behind the NZ and catch it behind the NZ, everyone is going to stop.  So that would have been a very cheap touchdown/return if that AR wasn't changed.

Edit:  Pulled this from the 2010 book online:

Approved Ruling 6-5-3
I. A1 or B1 signals for a fair catch beyond the neutral zone during a
kick that does not cross the neutral zone. RULING: The signals are
of no consequence, since the ball did not cross the neutral zone, and
the ball remains alive (Rule 2-7-1-a).

Online ElvisLives

  • *
  • Posts: 4636
  • FAN REACTION: +188/-188
  • The rules are there if you need them.
Re: Question about AR 6-5-3-I
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2020, 07:37:52 PM »
Because they didn't give an invalid signal, they gave a valid signal. And the ball is always dead when caught or recovered after a valid signal. But, just because it was a valid signal doesn't mean it was a fair catch. A fair catch is only possible on a kick that crosses the neutral zone. So in the AR, it's not a fair catch, but it is dead because they gave a valid fair catch signal.

6-5-3 specifically addresses invalid signals.  So, by inference, the signal was invalid.  But the AR makes it clear that they want the ball to become dead any time any signal is given (valid or invalid), anywhere, and whether or not the kicked ball crosses the NZ.  I’d like it better if they edited the rule language to say that.  But, the AR tells us.

Offline dvasques

  • *
  • Posts: 508
  • FAN REACTION: +13/-2
Re: Question about AR 6-5-3-I
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2020, 09:04:14 PM »
In that case, 6-5-3-c shouldn't exist. Because up to that item, I believe it's be the norm to kill any kick play with a fair catch signal, valis or invalid. The way this AR is written and where it's positioned just confuses things because if the ball never crosses the NZ then we figure the signal will be an invalid one (although nothing in the rules would support that)...