Author Topic: Just noticed this...  (Read 295 times)

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +119/-100
  • The rules are there if you need them.
Just noticed this...
« on: July 22, 2021, 07:42:44 PM »
AR 3-3-2-V
Late in the second or fourth quarter, Team A has second and eight. B44 intercepts a legal forward pass and carries the ball out of bounds. B79 is in the neutral zone at the snap. When the game clock is stopped it reads (a) 2:00, or (b) 1:59. RULING: Team A accepts the penalty and retains possession of the ball. In both (a) and (b) the game clock starts on the referees signal, because Team B will not next snap the ball. In (b) if Team B is leading, the clock will start on the snap.

----------

Hmmm. This AR makes it seem like the default condition is that the game clock would start on the referee's signal (ready), even if the clock was less than 2 minutes in the 2nd or 4th periods. Since the BC went OB, in (b) -  less than 2 minute in the 2nd/4th period - the clock should start on the snap (default). Yes, by 3-4-3, the game clock would start on the snap, unless A elected to have it start on the ready. But it would start on the snap, anyway. The AR isn't 'wrong,' but, unless I'm seriously mistaken, it is, IMHO, a bit misleading.
Am I missing something?

Offline Legacy Zebra

• FAN REACTION: +49/-9
Re: Just noticed this...
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2021, 08:29:43 PM »
Reread 3-3-2-d-2.

Starts on the snap if... With fewer than 2 minutes remaining in a half a Team A ball carrier...is ruled out of bounds.

A Team B ball carrier doesn't qualify. So technically the only thing we have that actually stopped the clock is the completion of a penalty. Completion of a penalty is in 3-3-2-e, Starts on the Referee's Signal. So unless 3-4-3 is invoked, the clock starts on the RFP.

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +119/-100
  • The rules are there if you need them.
Re: Just noticed this...
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2021, 08:42:05 PM »
Reread 3-3-2-d-2.

Starts on the snap if... With fewer than 2 minutes remaining in a half a Team A ball carrier...is ruled out of bounds.

A Team B ball carrier doesn't qualify. So technically the only thing we have that actually stopped the clock is the completion of a penalty. Completion of a penalty is in 3-3-2-e, Starts on the Referee's Signal. So unless 3-4-3 is invoked, the clock starts on the RFP.

THANK YOU! I knew I must have been missing something. Got it. :thumbup