Author Topic: What would you do?  (Read 2468 times)

Offline dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
What would you do?
« on: September 07, 2021, 12:11:37 PM »
Asking here to get responses across multiple codes and levels.  I saw this question asked on a FB group and wanted to know what everyone's response would be.  TBH I was kinda shocked at some of the answers posted there.

Here's the question:

'Player gets tackled on opponent sideline, ball comes flying out & rolls onto the track.  Official says to sidelines, “ a little help please with the football.”  Defensive head coach says, “Don’t get it, it’s their football, they can get it.”  (He is referring to the other team). Offensive player already is heading to the huddle when coach makes the comment.

What do you do?  Wait for someone on the sideline, go get it yourself, Flag him for being a jerk, or make the offense go get it. Usually, teams are helpful, but this coach was surprisingly difficult with this situation.'

What would your response be? 

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
Re: What would you do?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2021, 12:42:41 PM »
I'd probably go retrieve it.  I could also call timeout and go get the other ball boy and walk him over there to get it.  Coach probably gets upset that it's taking so long but had he just gotten someone to toss the ball to us we wouldn't be in this situation.

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2021, 02:13:11 PM »
I'd probably go retrieve it.  I could also call timeout and go get the other ball boy and walk him over there to get it.  Coach probably gets upset that it's taking so long but had he just gotten someone to toss the ball to us we wouldn't be in this situation.

I would (privately) ask the Coach if he would request he direct his sideline to help ME in retrieving the ball, to avoid unnecessary delay.  If he refused, I would ultimately retrieve it, and "hope" his asinine and juvenile reaction would not impair my ongoing judgment. If at all possible, had assistance not been ultimately forthcoming. I would alert the coach of my disappointment, and subsequently report this inappropriate behavior to the school Athletic Director.

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2021, 02:26:57 PM »
Kind of depends on the level.  Friday night I'm sending a ball boy.  He works for us from 7:30 til we're done.

Lower levels, somebody on that sideline is going to usually go get it before asking. 

I hear a comment like that, I'm most likely making a note to self that the coach is a d*#@ and his leash may have just gotten shorter.

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2021, 08:49:32 AM »
If you use the "4 and 2" method (discussed in another thread), you don't have to worry about this scenario.

Offline Derek Teigen

• FAN REACTION: +19/-1
  • Committed to the game; safety and sportsmanship
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2021, 01:03:24 PM »
because of the unhelpful nature of the coach I wonder if we could call delay of game on the defense if the ball wasn't retrieved and placed on the field in time for the offense to run their play.

Offline dammitbobby

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2021, 01:14:47 PM »
I think it's entirely situational, but definitely a possibility.  I'd warn the coach first though that if they refused to get the ball, it might cost them a flag.

Offline ncwingman

• FAN REACTION: +72/-13
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2021, 08:41:48 PM »
If you use the "4 and 2" method (discussed in another thread), you don't have to worry about this scenario.

Oh, if only I could get that many ball boys...

Also, this sounds like a scenario that will pop up with a very specific middle school/youth league team in my area. My solution is to never work their games again, because they're... well, words I probably can't say here.

One of the coaches is a city commissioner. I vote against him just based on his attitude on the football field.

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +23/-13
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2021, 10:07:30 AM »
I would repeat my request at least 1 or 2x...............and I'll wait until I get it....the whole time looking at the silly coach ala "really, you're going to operate this way?"

Offline Snapper

• FAN REACTION: +14/-2
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2021, 10:52:46 AM »
'Player gets tackled on opponent sideline, ball comes flying out & rolls onto the track.  Official says to sidelines, “ a little help please with the football.”  Defensive head coach says, “Don’t get it, it’s their football, they can get it.”  (He is referring to the other team). Offensive player already is heading to the huddle when coach makes the comment.

What do you do?  Wait for someone on the sideline, go get it yourself, Flag him for being a jerk, or make the offense go get it. Usually, teams are helpful, but this coach was surprisingly difficult with this situation.'

In a game without ballboys, I'd simply ask the Head Coach for some help with the situation.  99% of the time he'll put a stop to such silliness.

Offline dammitbobby

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2021, 11:07:51 AM »
...but it was the Head Coach who instructed his team to not fetch balls from the other team.

Offline Snapper

• FAN REACTION: +14/-2
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2021, 11:31:07 AM »
...but it was the Head Coach who instructed his team to not fetch balls from the other team.

Sorry, I thought the question was regarding the DC.

Anyway, I'd still just ask him once again directly.  He'd probably realize that he's being silly.  Although I suppose we're probably talking about a lower level game here where yes, some coaches certainly are silly.

But if they get too silly, I simply won't go back there.  And if he wants to spoil our coach-official relationship, fine, communication and cooperation is a two-way street.

Offline JennyWilliamson

• FAN REACTION: +0/-1
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2021, 08:12:42 AM »
I believe it is absolutely dependent on the circumstances, but it is certainly a possibility.

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2021, 08:31:27 AM »
In a game without ballboys, I'd simply ask the Head Coach for some help with the situation.  99% of the time he'll put a stop to such silliness.

Responding to "stupid" with more "stupid" rarely, if ever creates a smart solution.  Although it took me far longer than necessary to learn, my wife taught me you can convey a much more direct & pointed warning message with a "special look",  than an angry response.

If the "look" fails to work, there's a long list of follow up consequences readily available.

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2021, 09:44:11 AM »
Don't know the time/score situation, but, I believe I would stop the clocks (if the game clock is not already stopped), take the time needed to retrieve the ball and get it spotted, set the play clock to 40 after we get the ball spotted, and then resume the game. If either team complains, let them know that you must have ball persons for both teams on BOTH sidelines, with a replacement ball(s) for their respective teams at all times, if they want you to manage the game more expediently. Otherwise, carry on retrieving and spotting game balls with the clocks stopped. If the uncooperative coach loses the game because his opponent got a full 40 seconds for each down, with the game clock running late in the game, maybe he'll be more cooperative in the future.

For those playing NCAA rules, the use of the 40-second play clock was predicated on the ability of game officials to spot the ball expediently. That is a non-issue for FBS/FCS/D2 and D3 games. They provide appropriate ball persons, and replacement game balls.

With those athletic organizations that use NCAA rules but don't control their member institutions to the point that they provide the necessary resources to manage the game as intended, the Referee will have to exercise his authority and do what it takes to manage the game fairly. Yeah, he could  'pump' the play clock to 25 for each down that takes longer than that to get the ball spotted, but that would still not allow teams to run the fast-pace no-huddle offenses that the 40-second play clock generated, and to which the teams are entitled. In exchange for this process slowing them down, allowing them the full 40-seconds to make their subs and make their play call AFTER the ball is spotted isn't unreasonable. Yeah, it adds real time to the game, but this kind of game ain't gonna be 'governed' by TV time constraints, anyway.

Offline ilyazhito

• FAN REACTION: +11/-13
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2021, 10:35:37 AM »
Asking here to get responses across multiple codes and levels.  I saw this question asked on a FB group and wanted to know what everyone's response would be.  TBH I was kinda shocked at some of the answers posted there.

Here's the question:

UNS on the head coach. NCAA Rule 9, Section 2, Article 1 states that "There shall be no unsportsmanlike conduct or act that interferes with orderly game administration on the part of players, substitutes, coaches ...". This coach is interfering with orderly game administration by directing his team to not retrieve the ball. NFHS rules have refusing to comply with a reasonable request by a game official as a reason to give an unsportsmanlike penalty, at least for players.