Author Topic: Clock question  (Read 1425 times)

Offline yarnnelg

• FAN REACTION: +55/-37
Clock question
« on: December 31, 2021, 03:58:10 PM »
Over time

The only clock is 25 or 40 seconds. No game clock.

On the timer’s board. Is there a key (button) for 25 seconds and one for 40 seconds?

I saw the board at Bethune Cookman, but never thought about overtime and two play clocks.

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
Re: Clock question
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2021, 06:46:48 PM »
Over time

The only clock is 25 or 40 seconds. No game clock.

On the timer’s board. Is there a key (button) for 25 seconds and one for 40 seconds?

I saw the board at Bethune Cookman, but never thought about overtime and two play clocks.

Can’t say I’ve ever seen a controller board, so I don’t know how they are configured. But regulation, or extra periods, the play clock is the same, so I’m confused by the comment about extra periods and “two play clocks.” Please explain.

Offline dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2021, 10:12:18 PM »
Scroll down to HS-70. This is the only one I’ve ever seen/used.

https://www.trans-lux.com/products/fair-play-scoreboards/scoreboardcontrols

It’s a complete PITA because it’s not intuitive. I struggled during the first playoff game I did as PCO a little bit, on pumping it up, because I didn’t have a manual or instructions and I kept forgetting to stop the clock before resetting (otherwise it won’t). Other than that I did great as far as knowing 40/25 scenarios, but the white hat I could tell got a little frustrated, but it was technical error/getting right dang switch to switch, not lack of knowledge of timing rules. Second playoff game I did, I nailed it. No errors that I know of.

Offline Kalle

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +109/-35
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2022, 01:23:25 AM »
The better clocks I've used have a separate controller for play clock and another for game clock. So yes, you can run the play clock normally even if the game clock is not running, but I do think you need to have something on the game clock ie. 0:00 - you can't turn it off and still run a play clock.

The worst play clock system required you to input hours, minutes, and seconds each and every time you wanted to run it - I ran that once and then politely declined calls to run it.

Offline yarnnelg

• FAN REACTION: +55/-37
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2022, 12:22:18 PM »
Scroll down to HS-70. This is the only one I’ve ever seen/used.

https://www.trans-lux.com/products/fair-play-scoreboards/scoreboardcontrols

It’s a complete PITA because it’s not intuitive. I struggled during the first playoff game I did as PCO a little bit, on pumping it up, because I didn’t have a manual or instructions and I kept forgetting to stop the clock before resetting (otherwise it won’t). Other than that I did great as far as knowing 40/25 scenarios, but the white hat I could tell got a little frustrated, but it was technical error/getting right dang switch to switch, not lack of knowledge of timing rules. Second playoff game I did, I nailed it. No errors that I know of.

Overtime; NCAA No Game clock

Say a time out is called. 25 second play clock when the ready is signaled.
Injury timeout  25 second clock when the ready is signaled

First downs 40 second play clock when the ball and chains are set

two different play clock scenarios

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2022, 03:50:47 PM »
Overtime; NCAA No Game clock

Say a time out is called. 25 second play clock when the ready is signaled.
Injury timeout  25 second clock when the ready is signaled

First downs 40 second play clock when the ball and chains are set

two different play clock scenarios

When the 40-second play clock is being used, it starts when the ball becomes dead on the previous down (with the philosophical pause+breath, then start). It has nothing to do with spotting the ball or setting the chains.
In regulation or Extra Periods, for the first down of a possession series, or any ‘administrative’ stoppage (penalty completion, time out (R or charged Team), measurement), offensive team helmet off, offensive team injury, the play clock is 25 and starts on the Referee’s signal. Similar with defensive helmet off and defensive injury, but a 40-second play clock. But, by rule, unrelated to ball spotting or chain status (but we’d always wait until both are ready to signal the RFP).
So, for the PCO, his part in Extra Periods is identical to regulation play, with the exception that EVERY down would have a play clock. There would never be a down in which the play clock would be ‘held’ (like it would when the time remaining on the game clock is less the play clock duration). The game clock might need to remain ON and displaying 0:00 for the play clocks to work - I couldn’t say. But, the GCO can pack up and go home.
Spotting the ball and the chains have nothing to do with operation of the play clock.