Author Topic: Bit confused on what to set the play clock to in the following situation..+  (Read 2212 times)

Offline Official_21

• FAN REACTION: +9/-0
  • What on earth have I gotten myself into???
So on my cheat sheet that I have on Clock Summary it says the following:

Score – TD, PAT, FG, Safety   25

I am a bit confused as to if this means it is after the score (Which I am assuming is the correct choice at this point).

Also, I am a bit confused on the PAT, is the play clock set to 40 or 25?

Online ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
So on my cheat sheet that I have on Clock Summary it says the following:

Score – TD, PAT, FG, Safety   25

I am a bit confused as to if this means it is after the score (Which I am assuming is the correct choice at this point).

Also, I am a bit confused on the PAT, is the play clock set to 40 or 25?

That is a bad cheat sheet.
Unless there is an administrative stoppage of some kind (penalty completion, Referee’s TO for discretionary reason, etc.), the play clock is to be set to 40 seconds, and should start ‘automatically’ when the ball becomes dead after a touchdown is scored. “Automatically” means that the PCO will start the play clock when he sees the touchdown signal, with no further signal or direction by the on-field officials. (Philosophically, we want the PCO to take his time, verify the TD signal - not just see the player cross the goal line - pause a moment or two, then start the play clock.) Sometimes it takes a bit more time to get a ball spotted at the succeeding spot for the try, and the play clock will get to 25 before the ball is ready for play. No sweat. The Referee will ‘pump’ the clock up to 25, and you will do so, and start the play clock immediately, again.

Following a safety, the next down is what? It is a free kick. What is the play clock for any free kick? 25. Period.

Following a field goal, the next down is what? It is a free kick. What is the play clock for any free kick? 25. Period.

The most misunderstood situation is the first scrimmage down following a free kick. Again, unless there is some administrative stoppage, for the first scrimmage down following a free kick, the play clock is set to 40 seconds, and is to start ‘automatically’ after the ball becomes dead at the end of the free kick down. It doesn’t matter if the kick is returned some distance, or results in a touchback, or Team A gets the ball legally. It doesn’t matter if it was an onside kick (or which team gets legal possession). See a signal that stops the clock. Take a breath. Pause. Start the play clock.

Offline Official_21

The Referee will ‘pump’ the clock up to 25, and you will do so, and start the play clock immediately, again.
I have seen some Referees ask me to reset the 40 second play clock to 25, even before the play clock has counted down to 25 on a PAT.
I just do what is told of me, even though I know it is wrong.

What should I do in the above situation, since this is only my second year running the clocks and I don't want to create any tensions between myself and the R, as I work well with others.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 07:51:46 AM by Official_21 »

Offline Clear Lake ref

• FAN REACTION: +5/-2
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Do what the R says. It’s their sword to fall on.

The Houston cheat sheet did have an error on the play clock after a safety.

Offline Official_21

Redoing the cheat sheet I have, just for play clock only.

This is based on the Houston Cheatsheet I have & feedback I have received in this thread:

Situation   Set   Starts

Running Play In/Out Of Bounds   40   End Of Play
Forward/Backward Fumble Out Of Bounds   40   End Of Play
Backwards Pass Out Of Bounds   40   End Of Play
Incomplete Pass   40   End Of Play
First Down In/Out of Bounds   40   End Of Play
PAT: If Play Clock runs down to 25 seconds Before Ball is made Ready for play R shall reset clock to 25 seconds  (One open palm pumping motion)   40   After TD Signal

Measurement – Play in/Out Of Bounds   25   R Signal
Penalty – Live Or Dead Ball   25   R Signal
Punt Play – Ends in A or B Possession   25   R Signal
Time Out – Team   25   R Signal
Time Out:  Offensive Injury  Or  Player’s helmet comes off   25   R Signal
Time Out: Defensive Injury  Or Player’s helmet comes off   40   R Signal
Team B Awarded a First Down   25   R Signal
Start of a New Period/Free Kick After Safety   25   R Signal
Other Administrative Stoppages   25   R Signal

Do I have them all correct? Anything I am missing that needs to be added?

Forgot to mention thanks for all the help I have received on this forum. It's nice to know experienced officials are ready to help others, regardless if they are up in the booth running the clocks or on the field  tiphat:

PS. Please forgive me if the formatting seems out of order, I did this spreadsheet in excel and when I copy and paste it, it doesn't copy the formatting.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 09:35:06 AM by Official_21 »

Offline Clear Lake ref

• FAN REACTION: +5/-2
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
That all looks correct.

Offline dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
Not sure where I found this, (I didn't create it but am appreciative to whoever did) but I believe it to be correct.  For smaller schools out here I carry some and give them to the clock operator to use as a reference.

Offline Official_21

Not sure where I found this, (I didn't create it but am appreciative to whoever did) but I believe it to be correct.  For smaller schools out here I carry some and give them to the clock operator to use as a reference.
I'll download it and keep it on my NAS (Network Attached Storage) just in case something happens to my spreadsheet.
Always good to have a backup of a document in case something happes to the original  yEs:

Online ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
I have seen some Referees ask me to reset the 40 second play clock to 25, even before the play clock has counted down to 25 on a PAT.
I just do what is told of me, even though I know it is wrong.

What should I do in the above situation, since this is only my second year running the clocks and I don't want to create any tensions between myself and the R, as I work well with others.

Yes, as Clear Lake says, do what you are instructed by the R. Yes, re-setting before it gets to 25 is wrong. But, as Clear Lake also said, it is the R's sword to fall on.

Also, note that "ready for play" is not the same as having the ball spotted. RFP mean the ball is spotted correctly, and the officials are in position to officiate. There could be some time between the ball being spotted and the officials being in position, especially the U. It is incumbent on the R to recognize when the ball is RFP, and reset the play clock as may be necessary. Resetting before it gets to 25 is incorrect, but it isn't worth making a big deal out of.
Sadly, I know there are some crews that are instructing the PCOs to not start the 40-second play clock until the ball is spotted. Some are even telling PCOs to ignore the 40-second rule, and set the play clock to 25, and wait for the R's signal.  All in the name of avoiding the dreaded delay of game foul. Heaven forbid.
The purpose of the 40-second play clock is to reduce total real game time. Mysteriously, the crews that are circumventing the play clock rules are the same guys that whine about the games lasting so long, and don't hesitate to advocate running the clock. (I have very strong feelings opposed to such practice, but I'll leave it at that.)