Author Topic: UIL Meeting today  (Read 4743 times)

Offline CosmoKramer

• FAN REACTION: +4/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Re: UIL Meeting today
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2022, 08:21:11 AM »
Why should we have to “just deal with it”? We’re providing the service. If our costs go up, shouldn’t our compensation go up?

I'm betting the vast majority would agree with your statement.  However, what will you do when our compensation does not go up?  I can almost guarantee you our game fee compensation and the flat travel fee will not increase given we are in mid-May and knowing what it takes to get the approval in place for such increase.  Our best chance of an increase is if the state increases their mileage per diem and that the UIL adopts the same per diem increase.  But as stated above, that per diem only affects games that are currently 91 miles away and benefits only the driver (which is most important). 

So, again, what will you do assuming there's no increase this fall?  Will you quit or take the season off?

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2022, 09:02:31 AM »
Game ending procedures, under NFHS Baseball Rules, is a "state's rights" call (4-2-4) . So Texas is staying within the NFHS code by making their own. Several year ago ,during a rain-soaked Spring, games in Maine got backed up to a point of many teams having to play back-to-back doubleheaders. With prior school agreement, games of such could end after 5 innings.....UMP'S PAY REMAINED THE SAME  8]

Offline Covid 22

• FAN REACTION: +6/-11
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2022, 09:54:16 AM »
There is another option.  Officials can scratch schools.   I would not go all season to sub varsity games where I had to call multiple games but lose money due to the travel expenses.   Varsity games are a little different and I would probably be more forgiving.   

With Covid under control, I am considering calling again next year.   It will be interesting to see what happens with officiating this year. 

Offline CosmoKramer

« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2022, 10:20:49 AM »
There is another option.  Officials can scratch schools.   I would not go all season to sub varsity games where I had to call multiple games but lose money due to the travel expenses.   Varsity games are a little different and I would probably be more forgiving.   

With Covid under control, I am considering calling again next year.   It will be interesting to see what happens with officiating this year.

Hence my point that it would be interesting to see how this is handled by officials.  I get it that officials can scratch schools but hopefully there are officials in the respective chapter that are located in or around that same town that is just under the mileage ring limit and can call the mentioned SV games. 

Online Legacy Zebra

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2022, 01:23:52 PM »
I see what you’re saying now Kramer. I misunderstood and thought you were saying that we as a group should “just deal with” costs going up and not push for higher compensation. But I agree with you. If it doesn’t happen, there’s not much we can do. I for one will still be on the field regardless of what the travel fees are. 

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2022, 01:07:39 PM »
In Maine, if the journey exceed 100 mile roundtrip, other officials along for the ride receive $25. 'rider's fee".  Some officials mat choose to share some of that with the driver, some may not. ;) :D ;D >:( :( :o 8] ??? ::) :P :-[ :-X :-\ :-* :'(

:sTiR:

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2022, 01:27:19 PM »
In Maine, if the journey exceed 100 mile roundtrip, other officials along for the ride receive $25. 'rider's fee".  Some officials mat choose to share some of that with the driver, some may not. ;) :D ;D >:( :( :o 8] ??? ::) :P :-[ :-X :-\ :-* :'(

:sTiR:

In Maine, that kind of travel will likely put you across state lines.   ;D

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2022, 07:41:06 AM »
In Maine, that kind of travel will likely put you across state lines.   ;D
Although Maine is only 39th in the nation in area, it is nearly a large as the other five New England states combined.. Who can name the other six states smaller than Maine ??

HINT: only one is west of the Mississippi  8]

Offline CosmoKramer

« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2022, 09:16:57 AM »
Although Maine is only 39th in the nation in area, it is nearly a large as the other five New England states combined.. Who can name the other six states smaller than Maine ??

HINT: only one is west of the Mississippi  8]

Honestly without looking my answer is Rhode Island, Delware, Massachusetts, Connecticut, New Jersey and Hawaii.  I cannot think of a state West of the Mississippi that could be smaller than Maine and not sure I consider Hawaii as west of the Mississippi. 

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2022, 10:14:42 AM »
Honestly without looking my answer is Rhode Island, Delware, Massachusetts, Connecticut, New Jersey and Hawaii.  I cannot think of a state West of the Mississippi that could be smaller than Maine and not sure I consider Hawaii as west of the Mississippi.
Thanks for trying, Cosmo, RI, Mass and Conn are New England states. Delaware, New Jersey and Hawaii are three.HINT: Of the remaining three, two have prefixes.  :thumbup

Online ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2022, 11:48:51 AM »
Thanks for trying, Cosmo, RI, Mass and Conn are New England states. Delaware, New Jersey and Hawaii are three.HINT: Of the remaining three, two have prefixes.  :thumbup

New Hawaii? 8]

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2022, 12:07:17 PM »
New Hawaii? 8]
Think of directions....N/S/E/W

Offline CosmoKramer

« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2022, 01:28:02 PM »

West Virginia, South Carolina and Maryland

Offline dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2022, 01:47:55 PM »
Vermont, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, ??

Online ElvisLives

« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2022, 03:23:28 PM »
Think of directions....N/S/E/W

North Hawaii? South Hawaii? Central Hawaii? East Hawaii? West Hawaii?
Been to all of them. They are all spectacular. 8]

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2022, 04:35:02 AM »
West Virginia, South Carolina and Maryland

Cosmo nailed it ,along with his prior Hawaii, Delaware and New Jersey  aWaRd

Offline CosmoKramer

« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2022, 12:30:04 PM »
North Hawaii? South Hawaii? Central Hawaii? East Hawaii? West Hawaii?
Been to all of them. They are all spectacular. 8]

That's what Terri Gear said on Seinfeld.   :!#

Online ElvisLives

« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2022, 01:21:06 PM »
That's what Terri Gear said on Seinfeld.   :!#

Never watched it, so I didn't steal anybody's quote.
But, do you mean Teri Garr (of Close Encounters of the Third Kind and Mr. Mom fame)? Good actor. But, I can't find Terri Garr associated with Seinfeld, at all.
Neither me nor Wikipedia have ever heard of a Terri Gear associated with the TV/motion picture industry. Some real estate types, etc. But not TV.

Offline dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2022, 01:28:07 PM »
It was Teri Hatcher, not Terry Garr.

Online ElvisLives

« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2022, 02:31:31 PM »

Well, as the folks on Monty Python would say, "And now for something completely different."

Offline CosmoKramer

« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2022, 03:57:59 PM »

Oh Geez.  My bad.  Yes, Terri Hatcher.  And they were fabulous.