Author Topic: Class 1A Division I State Championship – Stamford vs. Mason  (Read 6305 times)

Offline TxSkyBolt

• FAN REACTION: +45/-46
Class 1A Division I State Championship – Stamford vs. Mason
« on: December 15, 2011, 03:28:55 PM »
Just finished watching this game and I thought the crew did an excellent job.  With the exception of one very basic mechanic, I thought their mechanics were solid, their positioning was good and the flow was smooth.  Of course, a very clean game like this really helps us look good.

Hats off to the crew. 

One down, 8 to go.

Best regards,

Brad

Offline DallasLJ

• FAN REACTION: +16/-15
Re: Class 1A Division I State Championship – Stamford vs. Mason
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 03:32:05 PM »
Sky

I know this crew.  What was the one "basic" mechanic that you had a problem with.  I want to make sure it is not a "chapter thing".

Offline TXMike

• FAN REACTION: +229/-265
  • When you quit learning you quit living
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 03:46:51 PM »
I say it again...at this stage, these games essentially run themselves.  With RARE exception do they realy require a top notch crew.  Same thing in reg season.  High performing teams need the least "oversight".  Unfortunately, our system is set up so that more often than not, the games that need the most oversight don't always get the most prepared officials while the most prepared officials end up in "big games" that really do not need them

Offline TxSkyBolt

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 04:09:36 PM »
Twice on close to first down plays in the middle of the field, the U just spotted the ball and the R took that spot and signaled first down.  On TV, very close.  On the first one, the L was just a few yards from the U, but he never called for or received the ball to spot.  On the second one, the H never came in and stopped about 10-15 yards from the end of the run.  Other than that, I thought they did an outstanding job.

Best regards,

Brad

Offline Birddog

• FAN REACTION: +2/-2
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 04:54:52 PM »
Twice on close to first down plays in the middle of the field, the U just spotted the ball and the R took that spot and signaled first down.  On TV, very close.  On the first one, the L was just a few yards from the U, but he never called for or received the ball to spot.  On the second one, the H never came in and stopped about 10-15 yards from the end of the run.  Other than that, I thought they did an outstanding job.

Best regards,

Brad

As well marked as these fields are, I can see where they might do it the way they did. 

They did let #13 from Mason back in the game after he was injured, his team called a time out.  It was right before halftime.

Offline TxSkyBolt

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 05:03:52 PM »

As well marked as these fields are, I can see where they might do it the way they did. 

I never thought that the marking of the field had anything to do with this mechanic.   The foot the H and L had down was nowhere near any tick mark, just green (By the way, they didn't install NCAA hash marks).  It should always be given to the covering official if it's close, and that official should crash in to sell the spot.

But then again, maybe I've been doing it all wrong.   :)

Best regards

Brad

Offline DallasLJ

• FAN REACTION: +16/-15
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2011, 08:45:21 PM »
As a linejudge, I am all for crashing on close plays.  Do it all the time.  As for measurements though, we are usually pretty good about starting on a yard line just so we can avoid measurements.  So, if 1st down started at the A36 and they get to the A46, we do not need to measure.

Offline TxSkyBolt

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2011, 08:47:45 PM »
Agreed on the measurement.  But the official who has forward progress should bet the ball and put it down.

Best regards,

Brad

Offline TexDoc

• FAN REACTION: +98/-26
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2011, 03:50:09 PM »
I never thought that the marking of the field had anything to do with this mechanic.   The foot the H and L had down was nowhere near any tick mark, just green (By the way, they didn't install NCAA hash marks).  It should always be given to the covering official if it's close, and that official should crash in to sell the spot.

But then again, maybe I've been doing it all wrong.   :)

Best regards

Brad

I agree with Brad, that's the proper mechanic.  It sells the spot since the wing guys have forward progress.  Let them spot the ball when close. 

I also think the crew did a good job.

Online Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2011, 09:39:58 AM »
I say it again...at this stage, these games essentially run themselves.  With RARE exception do they realy require a top notch crew.  Same thing in reg season.  High performing teams need the least "oversight".  Unfortunately, our system is set up so that more often than not, the games that need the most oversight don't always get the most prepared officials while the most prepared officials end up in "big games" that really do not need them

Glad you put the qualifier in there, I agree most games at this level SHOULD run themselves. However, I would not put a blanket over that and say all of the horses were ready to saddle.

" I don't make the rules coach!"