Author Topic: Sideline warnings when sidelines to too small  (Read 4093 times)

Offline ncwingman

• FAN REACTION: +72/-13
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Sideline warnings when sidelines to too small
« on: July 04, 2016, 06:53:36 PM »
As a wing, I get the "fun" of enforcing the sidelines and I'm looking for some input on how closely to enforce things.

There is a school near me that built the track too close to the field. If they had a full 2 yard restricted zone, there would be literally no room for the team box before the fence separating the track from the football field. The coaches box/restricted area is 2 FEET wide (at most -- possibly less). This makes the field in violation of 1.2.3g, but there's nothing you can do about this -- we just play football.

Say there's a play to my sideline, I try to avoid the oncoming players, but run into coaches who are behind the inappropriately placed line. Do you throw a flag for sideline interference? There is enough space for the coaches/team to avoid when necessary, but not enough for the full restricted zone + team box.

In the past, I've made sure to avoid them as much as I can. I do not want to throw flags when I don't have to. I certainly don't seek out contact, as there was one incident a few years ago when I seriously hurt my shoulder running into a coach.... but if push comes to shove... what would you do?

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
Re: Sideline warnings when sidelines to too small
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2016, 10:55:28 PM »
Sometimes you have to play with the cards your dealt, rather than the ones you'd like.  It seems you would not be the only wing official to encounter this issue, so it should not be a surprise to game management. It might be a practical idea to accompany the Referee with his pre-game discussion with the home Head Coach, and address the issue, explaining you (both) understand the problem and are willing to HELP THEM accommodate the situation, but NEED EXTRA cooperation and assistance from the entire coaching staff to keep back and out of harm's way for the benefit, and safety of both coaches and players.

Having broached the issue, specifically, beforehand in a genuinely non-threatening manner, opens the door for ANY subsequent problems to become a matter for the Head Coach's involvement and responsibility.  Hopefully the HC's response will be one of cooperation and he will alert his staff of their necessary reaction and response and the problem will be minimized, if not eliminated.

If he chooses not to respond positively, or if his assistance doesn't provide suitable adjustment, you have a witness of your "non-threatening", positive suggestion, and there shouldn't be any surprise with whatever (appropriate) action you take, if necessary.  Somewhere along the line, however your organization addresses game management about field conditions, this issue should be brought to game management's attention. 

Offline prab

• FAN REACTION: +37/-47
  • Wherever you go, there you are!
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2016, 11:01:05 PM »
You don't specifically say so, but I am going to assume that the same conditions exist on both sidelines.  (If not, put both teams on the same side, problem solved.)

Otherwise, I would ask for a ruling, in writing, from the state governing body as to how they want this situation handled.  (It is at least possible that the state would insist that changes be made to the field such as removing part of the fence during football season, etc.)

You have already been injured once.  Based on the state's ruling, I would decide whether: my pain, discomfort from the first incident warrant my returning to work on that field;  whether my liability insurance will cover me while working in conditions that I know to be unsafe; whether Jimmy's parents are likely to include me in the lawsuit after he gets injured along the sideline.

For me, I simply pass on the opportunity to work future games at this school until I can answer all of these questions to my satisfaction. 

You stated that a few years ago you ran into a coach.  Again you do not specifically say it was at this field.  However, if it was, it seems that you have already made your decision.

Good luck!

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2016, 05:22:12 PM »
The state isn't going to do anything on this instance.  Several older fields on this end of the state have similar issues minus a fence.

You enforce what you can.  Discuss your concerns with your RSO.

Offline KWH

• FAN REACTION: +633/-113
  • See it, Think about it, Pass on it if possible!
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2016, 02:06:03 PM »
Yuur question is presented and answered in the 2016 Case Book.
See 1.2.3 SITUATION on Page 6
SEE everything that you CALL, but; Don't CALL everything you SEE!
Never let the Rules Book get in the way of a great ball game!

Respectfully Submitted;
Some guy on a message forum

Offline ncwingman

• FAN REACTION: +72/-13
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2016, 05:42:18 PM »
Yuur question is presented and answered in the 2016 Case Book.
See 1.2.3 SITUATION on Page 6

Yes, but no. As I mentioned in the original post, the field is illegal by rule, but not unplayable. We're not going to postpone or cancel the game -- which is what the case play states.

That case play, however, does not address how to handle rules and plays that become affected by the illegal field -- just that state officials should be notified about the improperly marked field.

Offline prab

• FAN REACTION: +37/-47
  • Wherever you go, there you are!
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2016, 09:27:24 PM »
There is a significant difference between a field that is improperly marked and a field that has unsafe playing conditions, which are known before the game starts.

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2016, 07:04:49 AM »
Chain side is a bit easier as you can always tell your sideline they must be behind the chains at least.