Author Topic: Defenseless player (away from action question)  (Read 985 times)

Offline Fatso

• FAN REACTION: +8/-1
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Defenseless player (away from action question)
« on: May 17, 2023, 08:04:01 AM »
(Rule 2.32.16.)  example g.  "A player obviously out of the play or not in the immediate vicinity of the runner". 

Under what conditions do you call penalty in this scenario? 

What about this example - WR blocking a CB (legally but manhandling him), run is to opposite side of the field and nowhere near this action.  However, the WR is engaged in the block and technically doesn't see where the ball/runner is.     Had a coach in a scrimmage telling me it's UNR since WR knows the play went the other way.  (WR was knocking the CB on his butt and/or driving him 10 yds then pancake...).  I told coach WR has a right to block the player until he's clearly not going to be involved in the play.  If the runner cuts back to other side of field, the CB might become involved.  I wouldn't say the contact was excessive, just the CB was significantly overmatched physically.  Your thoughts?

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
Re: Defenseless player (away from action question)
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2023, 09:28:40 AM »
(Rule 2.32.16.)  example g.  "A player obviously out of the play or not in the immediate vicinity of the runner". 

Under what conditions do you call penalty in this scenario? 

What about this example - WR blocking a CB (legally but manhandling him), run is to opposite side of the field and nowhere near this action.  However, the WR is engaged in the block and technically doesn't see where the ball/runner is.     Had a coach in a scrimmage telling me it's UNR since WR knows the play went the other way.  (WR was knocking the CB on his butt and/or driving him 10 yds then pancake...).  I told coach WR has a right to block the player until he's clearly not going to be involved in the play.  If the runner cuts back to other side of field, the CB might become involved.  I wouldn't say the contact was excessive, just the CB was significantly overmatched physically.  Your thoughts?

I think this rule is more for taking cheap shots at players away from the play.  Now, these would usually qualify for a blindside block foul, but back before that rule, players would just be casually walking around while the play goes away and someone would take a running cheap shot at them from the side.  Back then, even though the hit was legal, that rule gave you the authority to call it a UNR.  You can still call it a UNR, but it would also be a blindside most likely.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2023, 09:46:11 AM »
Agree with Bossman, this often occurs when Swifty -the tailback - is off to TD land and his teammate, big ole' Bubba - decides to 'light-up' an opponent at midfield. While the block may be legal, the act is not. You may need to confer as to the foul occurring PRIOR to Swifty reaching paydirt would be a spot foul.

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2023, 10:47:00 AM »
I’m with Bossman and Ralph.  This is a safety issue for when someone guys headhunting well behind or away from the play.  If it’s normal physical contact like blocking, “hey fellas, play’s gone” is plenty.

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2023, 02:48:59 PM »
I think this rule is more for taking cheap shots at players away from the play.  Now, these would usually qualify for a blindside block foul, but back before that rule, players would just be casually walking around while the play goes away and someone would take a running cheap shot at them from the side.  Back then, even though the hit was legal, that rule gave you the authority to call it a UNR.  You can still call it a UNR, but it would also be a blindside most likely.

Absolutely agree.  You won't find "Cheap Shot" defined in Rule 2, but everybody understands what it means.  When seen, you have to call UNR, otherwise you can be guaranteed, sooner or later, there will be a retaliatory repetition.  It all depends on what YOU actually witnessed, but DQ is a possibility if serious enough (in YOUR judgment), and the simple explanation "Cheap Shot" should satisfy ANY request for details.

Offline KWH

• FAN REACTION: +633/-113
  • See it, Think about it, Pass on it if possible!
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2023, 02:54:13 PM »
Agree with Bossman, this often occurs when Swifty -the tailback - is off to TD land and his teammate, big ole' Bubba - decides to 'light-up' an opponent at midfield. While the block may be legal, the act is not. You may need to confer as to the foul occurring PRIOR to Swifty reaching paydirt would be a spot foul.

Food for thought: 
While yes, Ralph is correct, officials will most certainly need to determine whether or not Swifty crossed the Goal line before or after the cheap shot by Big 'ole Bubba, If, there is any way your crew can possibly make the hit occur before Swifty crossed the goal line, error on the side of safety and DO IT. 
Generally speaking, this is a learning situation and time has proven taking a touchdown away offers Bubba a well earned opportunity to learn the rules just that much faster.
SEE everything that you CALL, but; Don't CALL everything you SEE!
Never let the Rules Book get in the way of a great ball game!

Respectfully Submitted;
Some guy on a message forum

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2023, 06:48:51 PM »
Food for thought: 
Generally speaking, this is a learning situation and time has proven taking a touchdown away offers Bubba a well earned opportunity to learn the rules just that much faster.

If only because of the running Bubba will do at the next practice as penance for costing his team a touchdown, to be sure. 

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2023, 07:15:55 AM »
If, there is any way your crew can possibly make the hit occur before Swifty crossed the goal line, error on the side of safety and DO IT. 

Unless (as happened to me one night) Team B is leading 49-0 in the 4th quarter & B’s coach still has his starters in.

“Coach, I don’t know whether the hit happened before the score.  What I do know is that he crossed your goal line with the ball.”    ^good

Offline BIG UMP

• FAN REACTION: +9/-1
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2023, 03:22:50 PM »
We always called this a Seek and Destroy.  Not excessive blocking, ie Blindside.
Big Ump

"EVERY JOB IS A SELF-PORTRAIT OF THE PERSON WHO DID IT.  AUTOGRAPH YOUR WORK WITH EXCELLENCE."~unknown