Author Topic: OFFICIALS' ELEVENTH COMMANDMENT  (Read 656 times)

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
OFFICIALS' ELEVENTH COMMANDMENT
« on: June 07, 2023, 10:55:44 AM »
As high school baseball playoffs begin, I remind my fellow umps of our Eleventh Commandment, but it should be applied to all sports....

President Ronald Reagan once stated: " The Eleventh Commandment is : Don't speak ill of another Republican". Be ye' Republican, Democrat, or Whig; the same should apply when viewing a game as a fan. Once post-season begins fewer and fewer of us will be on the fields. If you are a sports junkie, like me, you may be in the stands. Some may recognize you as an official and ask for your opinion on a close play.

INHO, you have two potential answers:

if YOU AGREED WITH THE CALL : "Gee, that was a great call, he/she was well positioned to have a great look  :thumbup !"

IF YOU DIDN'T : "Err. couldn't really tell from here  :!#, he/she had a much better view of it than we did  :-X ."

DO UNTO OTHER OFFICIALS AS YOU WOULD HAVE THEM DO TO YOU...

EDITOR NOTE : This doesn't apply when watching your favorite team on TV at home 8]
« Last Edit: June 07, 2023, 12:15:29 PM by Ralph Damren »

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
Re: OFFICIALS' ELEVENTH COMMANDMENT
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2023, 02:13:46 PM »
As high school baseball playoffs begin, I remind my fellow umps of our Eleventh Commandment, but it should be applied to all sports....

President Ronald Reagan once stated: " The Eleventh Commandment is : Don't speak ill of another Republican". Be ye' Republican, Democrat, or Whig; the same should apply when viewing a game as a fan. Once post-season begins fewer and fewer of us will be on the fields. If you are a sports junkie, like me, you may be in the stands. Some may recognize you as an official and ask for your opinion on a close play.

Both you and President Regan are smart guys. (perhaps with the exception of professional Baseball preferences, although not sure if President Regan was a Yankee fan.)

Offline Not_Ed_Hochuli

• FAN REACTION: +1/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Re: OFFICIALS' ELEVENTH COMMANDMENT
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2023, 07:45:54 PM »
I don't know about you guys, but I go to sporting events just to cheer for the refs, cause I know nobody else will. Ever.