Author Topic: Muffed Punt recovered by K. Game and play clock status question  (Read 5017 times)

Offline tstearns1

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
4/10, K-35. K12's punt is muffed by R20 at R-35. K20 then jumps on the ball and secures possession at R-40. What is the status of the game clock and play clock?

a.
25-second play clock. Game clock starts at the snap.

b.
40-second play clock. Game clock starts on the ready for play.

c.
40-second play clock. Game clock starts at the snap.

d.
25-second play clock. Game clock starts on the ready for play.

I know K muff recovery results in a 1st and 10 for K. Rule 3.4.3 C states clock shall start with the snap when....Either team is awarded a new series following a legal kick. So I know It has to be either answer A or C. Game clock starts on the snap.
I'm not sure the status of the play clock however. Is it 25 or 40 seconds. I can't seem to find that anywhere in the rule or case book. Help please.

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
Re: Muffed Punt recovered by K. Game and play clock status question
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2018, 02:26:42 PM »
So far as I know, there is nothing in the rule book at this time indicating we play with a 40-second play clock.

Offline tstearns1

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2018, 03:24:13 PM »
Some states have adopted the 25/40 second play clock. I officiate in the Denver area and Colorado has had the 25/40 second play clock since 2016. This is a question on our playoff rules test that I can't seem to find the answer to.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 09:43:23 AM by tstearns1 »

Offline CalhounLJ

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2018, 03:27:57 PM »
Did they hand out any guidelines for 40 second play clock?

Online ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2018, 04:30:33 PM »
Some states have adopted the 40/25 second play clock. I officiate in the Denver area and Colorado has had the 25/40 second play clock since 2016. This is a question on our playoff rules test that I can't seem to find the answer to.

Since you are not following Fed for the play clock, I would assume the governing body for high school football in Colorado would have adopted a set of play clock rules. Look for those first.  But, for what is worth, in NCAA, the play clock is 25 seconds anytime following a legal kick down. 

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2018, 08:33:43 AM »
Some states have adopted the 40/25 second play clock. I officiate in the Denver area and Colorado has had the 25/40 second play clock since 2016. This is a question on our playoff rules test that I can't seem to find the answer to.

I would say 25 seconds because the special teams personnel have to come off the field and the offense and defense then have to come back on.  Technically "administrative" stoppage.  This is why NCAA is 25 seconds after every kick down because you have to do wholesale personnel changes after every kick.

Offline tstearns1

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2018, 09:42:46 AM »
Thank you for your input Gentlemen. At our next Denver Football Officials Association meeting I will suggest a more clear, concise list of 25/40 second play clock. Anyway I submitted the test with an answer of Game Clock starts at the snap and 25 second play clock. That answer was CORRECT.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2018, 10:46:09 AM »
I would say 25 seconds because the special teams personnel have to come off the field and the offense and defense then have to come back on.  Technically "administrative" stoppage.  This is why NCAA is 25 seconds after every kick down because you have to do wholesale personnel changes after every kick.
That was the rationale we used back in 1996 when we amended the "major clock stopper" rule. Among other situations, if K is flagged for IF and the down is replayed, both the kicking and receiving teams would remain on the field as the kick would again follow. We would start on the RFP UNLESS:
   (1) the kick went OOB;
   (2) a receiver with the ball went OOB;
   (3) a fair catch was completed.

Tuesday trivia :

Why has a completed fair catch always been a "major clock stopper" - starts clock on the snap  ??? ??? ??? ?

Offline CalhounLJ

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2018, 11:12:55 AM »
I'll bite - I've always assumed it was because R was awarded a new series after a legal kick. but I'm sure that's too easy...

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2018, 12:01:08 PM »
I'll bite - I've always assumed it was because R was awarded a new series after a legal kick. but I'm sure that's too easy...
When we made the COP rule change in 1996, I felt the "after FC" on snap was no longer needed. It was originally in to provide for the common occurrence  ;) of a free kick following a fair catch. IMHO, it is no longer needed.
 ......and now time for some parboiled kelp  eAt&
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 11:00:39 AM by Ralph Damren »

Offline SCline

• FAN REACTION: +7/-1
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2018, 12:02:13 PM »
^^^in case R elects to perform a free kick after a fair catch?

Offline bossman72

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2018, 08:57:00 AM »
When you make the COP rule change in 1996, I felt the "after FC" on snap was no longer needed. It was originally in to provided for the common occurrence  ;) of a free kick following a fair catch. IMHO, it is no longer needed.
 ......and now time for some parboiled kelp  eAt&

If it was because of the free kick after a fair catch, wouldn't it be encompassed by "Either team awarded a new series after a kick down"?  Therefore not needed?

Offline VA Official

• FAN REACTION: +4/-6
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2018, 09:22:17 PM »
If it was because of the free kick after a fair catch, wouldn't it be encompassed by "Either team awarded a new series after a kick down"?  Therefore not needed?

My question would be does a free-kick down equate to a "series of downs?" I would say probably not. If that's the case, I would argue they are not awarded a new series of downs.

Offline bossman72

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2018, 08:23:13 AM »
My question would be does a free-kick down equate to a "series of downs?" I would say probably not. If that's the case, I would argue they are not awarded a new series of downs.

I disagree - After the fair catch, you're setting up the chains 1st and 10.  That's a new series.  If you're replaying the down due to penalty, obviously that's not a new series.

Offline Patrick E.

• FAN REACTION: +6/-3
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2018, 09:11:53 AM »

Because of the word "scrimmage" in 5-1-1 and the definition of scrimmage per 2-38, I would say a free-kick down does not equate to a series of downs.  Per 6-5-4 the captain has a choice to put the ball in play by free kick or snap, once the choice is made by the captain determines whether or not there is a new series.

The chains are set up after a new series is awarded per 5-3-1. 

I agree the chains should be used for a free kick following a fair catch (or awarded fair catch), but their use is to provide the visual delineation of R's restraining line, particularly when that line is not on a marked yard line per 1-2-3 b.

Offline CalhounLJ

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2018, 11:04:06 AM »
IMHO, once R has signaled for and completed a fair catch, his team is awarded a new series. What his team does after that is entirely up to them. They can choose a free kick, choose to snap the ball, and/or choose to attempt a scrimmage kick. In my mind, the basic fundamental is clear: "If R is the first to touch a scrimmage kick beyond the neutral zone, a new series will be awarded to the team in possession at the end of the down."

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2018, 11:09:59 AM »
Sorry to have confused things, guys. Prior to 1996 we would start on the RFP following COP unless a "major clock-stopper" had occurred (inc. pass, oob,etc AND FAIR CATCH). IF a team elected to free kick from a fair catch (a compromise rule left over after removing the return kick in 1965) ,the timing should be treated as all other free kicks. Therefore a fair catch needed then to be a "major clock stopper". I agree 100% with Bossman, it is no longer needed.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 12:41:49 PM by Ralph Damren »