Author Topic: Players during injury time out  (Read 9562 times)

Offline gsrc

• FAN REACTION: +85/-16
Players during injury time out
« on: September 22, 2014, 09:55:13 AM »
I know this was addressed a year ago or so in a rule change, but I am struggling to find rules support.

Where can players go during injury timeouts? Please respond with rule book/case book citations.

Jim D.

Re: Players during injury time out
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 10:09:34 AM »
Players can go wherever they want on the field during a time out (official's or team).  Obviously there are some logical restrictions not spelled out in the rule book.  For example, a player of one team couldn't wander over and get in the middle of the other team's huddle.  Other than that, they can go where they want.  In an injury time out, the team could all go right over to the sideline and get instructions from the coach. 

Rather than look for rules and case book plays of what they can do, remember unless the rule book says they can't do something, then it's legal.  There is no rule that says they can gather at the sideline, but is no rule that says they can't - therefore they can do it.

This is not an authorized conference - it's just a bunch of players standing around waiting for the injury to be taken care of.  They can stand at the sidelines as well as in the middle of the field.

Offline prab

• FAN REACTION: +37/-47
  • Wherever you go, there you are!
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 10:15:23 AM »
Players can go wherever they want on the field during a time out (official's or team).  Obviously there are some logical restrictions not spelled out in the rule book. 

Another logical restriction is that players should not congregate in the immediate area where the injured player is being attended to.  Although this seems logical to officials, it apparently does not always seem logical to players, especially teammates of the injured player.

ECILLJ

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 11:29:22 AM »
Where can players go during injury timeouts? Please respond with rule book/case book citations.

During an injury timeout an authorized conference can be held only in front of the team box within nine yards of the sideline (3-5-8c).

Offline gsrc

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 09:30:21 AM »
Ok, so that's my point. In the casebook I believe it says that only an outside the 9 yard marks conference can occur during officials time outs. So my question is, if that's the case, can coaches come onto the field of play during these timeouts based on the definition of an outside the 9s conference?

I always try to keep coaches on the sideline but wondering if there is rules support for that.

Thanks guys-

ECILLJ

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2014, 09:50:43 AM »
  So my question is, if that's the case, can coaches come onto the field of play during these timeouts based on the definition of an outside the 9s conference?

Yes the coach may be on the field, it is a legal conference.

Please remember we are talking about lengthy injury timeouts, the type that require a trainer. It has even been recommended that we move the teams to the outside 9's during a lengthy injury timeout, rather than leaving the teams in the middle of the field. If the injury is near the sideline, it has been suggested to move the team to the opposite end of the sideline from where the injured player is being tended. I can't find a reference regarding these recommendations, but it seems those were given to us by the Federation within the last five years.

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2014, 10:02:43 AM »
If we bring the trainers on the field, we tell the players to go to the numbers.  The coaches appreciate the chance to talk to their players, and we don't have to worry about whether a coach in the middle of the field is tending to his player or talking to his team.

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2014, 10:28:04 AM »
I always try to keep coaches on the sideline but wondering if there is rules support for that.

Coaches can go on the field during any authorized team conference.  As many as they want on an outside the numbers conference, one if it's inside the hashes.

2-6-2:

Authorized Team Conference – There are two types of authorized team conferences:

Outside 9-Yard Mark Conference – One or more team members and one or more coaches directly in front of the team box within 9 yards of the sideline, or
Between 0-Yard Mark Conference - One coach on the field to confer with no more than 11 players at his team’s huddle between the hash marks.

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2014, 10:38:49 AM »
I can't find a reference regarding these recommendations, but it seems those were given to us by the Federation within the last five years.

I've been trying to find them too as I recall the same thing.  I was thinking maybe it was just a NC thing from a rules clinic but if we both have the same info then it is from the Fed more than likely.  I'll try to dig back through some of my rule book packets from the last few years as I save all of the Fed releases with them.

Offline Atlanta Blue

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2014, 10:47:48 AM »

I've been trying to find them too as I recall the same thing.  I was thinking maybe it was just a NC thing from a rules clinic but if we both have the same info then it is from the Fed more than likely.  I'll try to dig back through some of my rule book packets from the last few years as I save all of the Fed releases with them.
It was in the pre-season PowerPoint presentation that came from FED, I don't think it was in any rule book.  Basically it said if there is an injury timeout, move the teams outside the nine's so medical personnel have room to work.  It assumed the injury was between the hashes.

Common sense says move the teams away from the injured player.  But the problem with common sense is that it isn't common enough.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2014, 01:39:49 PM »
While rummaging through my stack of stuff, I found the following on page 86 of the 2011 Rules Book....
 INJURY TIMEOUT CONFERENCES RESTRICTED TO OUTSIDE NINE-YARD MARKS (2-6-1,2;3-5-8) :

With two changes, the committee labeled the two types of authorized team conferences ( "Outside Nine Yard Mark Conference" and "Between Nine Yard Mark Conference".) In addition, the committee specified that when an injury occurs and the referee grants an authorized conference, it must be an "Outside Nine Yard Conference'. This will give medical personnel time and space to address the injured player.

My first concern ??? of inside/outside was :  ::) while laying on the ground, looking up ??? or up in the air, looking down ??? :o. The "Between..." helped to clarify. IMHO, if it's an injury involving anything more than a coach coming out to help his player off the field, I going to send both teams to the sidelines (if the injury is on the sidelines, you've got a 50 yard team box range to send the kids away).

I could also find reference in the 2012 NFHS S & I on page 49. Hope this helps tiphat: ....happy hour nears... that means time for a clam broth martini - shaken not stirred.... :)           

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2014, 01:56:47 PM »
I know this was addressed a year ago or so in a rule change, but I am struggling to find rules support.

You've really asked two questions here, or at least one question that begs two answers.
#1 - The players can be anywhere on the field during an injury timeout. (Minus the obvious as has been pointed out.)
#2 - Authorized conferences can only be held in one area of the field - Outside the 9-yard marks.

In other words, if the players want to gather up in a huddle and take a knee inside the hashes, as long as they are out of the way of the injured player, that's fine.
If the coach wants a conference to talk to his players, they have to go to him, he can't come to them.

Offline gsrc

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2014, 07:53:07 PM »
This years' casebook says only an outside the 9 yard conference can occur during officials timeouts. An injury is one of the criteria for an officials timeout. So following this logic, coaches can come on the field during an injury timeout to talk with their players, correct?

I understand coaches can attend to his player. I also understand moving players away from the injured player. I'm just trying to verify that coaches can come on the field during an injury to talk with their uninjured players during an injury time out.

Thanks guys for your help!

Offline Atlanta Blue

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2014, 09:18:58 PM »
This years' casebook says only an outside the 9 yard conference can occur during officials timeouts. An injury is one of the criteria for an officials timeout. So following this logic, coaches can come on the field during an injury timeout to talk with their players, correct?

I understand coaches can attend to his player. I also understand moving players away from the injured player. I'm just trying to verify that coaches can come on the field during an injury to talk with their uninjured players during an injury time out.

See 2-6-2.  It's an authorized team conference.  If it's outside the numbers they can bring as many coaches as they want on the field outside the numbers in front of the team bench. 

Offline FBUmp

• FAN REACTION: +77/-38
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2014, 11:28:57 PM »

An authorized conference can be held outside the 9 yard mark. Coaches are allowed to attend authorized coaches.

It just can't be an inside the 9's conference.