Author Topic: Football? I'd Rather Fight!  (Read 7273 times)

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
Football? I'd Rather Fight!
« on: October 18, 2012, 04:35:04 PM »
There have been at least two bench-clearing brawls in the past three weeks.  Here are links to the newspaper reports:

http://tuscpreps.com/news/article/38...ers-for-brawl/

http://www.washcountynews.com/v2/con...&MemberID=1590

vplacek228@comcast.net

Re: Football? I'd Rather Fight!
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 05:20:49 PM »
There have been at least two bench-clearing brawls in the past three weeks.  Here are links to the newspaper reports:

http://tuscpreps.com/news/article/38...ers-for-brawl/

http://www.washcountynews.com/v2/con...&MemberID=1590

This happened a few years ago in our state during the playoffs, was not involved but became well aware of, as did most of nation.  Since then I've explained to head coaches that if any fight occurs on field that they and their assistants are to stay on the sideline and keep their players there.  Then we will request their help.  Was criticized by one of the resident coaches on this board, and while I respect his desire to break up the fight as soon as possible most often a coach or coaching staff running out on field to break up fight is usually followed by entire bench and the opposing bench also.  Luckily we haven't had to test how well they listened.

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 08:11:10 PM »
The coach was me, and I still contend that getting my players out of there is my job, not yours.  You aren't equipped for it, are charged not to touch players and have the added duty of getting the numbers of the participants and those leaving the bench.  We don't have those restrictions or duties. Our sole purpose at that point is to get our kids out of there and keep them from doing something stupid.

I am not advocating that the entire staff take off.  We have assignments.  Most coaches are to get a few yards in front of the bench and face the team, making sure the players on the sideline stay there.  Two coaches are assigned to get out there and get our kids out of a fight.

Thankfully, we have never had to use our plan.  But if the situation ever arises, rest assured, two of our coaches will be there to get our kids out of the fight, while the others keep the rest of the team on the bench.

Offline FBUmp

• FAN REACTION: +77/-38
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 09:08:29 PM »
This past weekend we passed the 100 mark for fighting ejections in NC this season.  Not sure why there's so much of it.  And we have very strict penalties.  The player is ejected and suspended for two games and the school is fined $1000.  3 fighting ejections or 6 total ejections during the season results in the playoff ban.

BTW, I agree that coaches are welcome on the field as long as they are helping and not making the decision worse.

Offline James

• FAN REACTION: +7/-6
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012, 01:07:34 AM »
I think WVs comment was more because most teams either don't have such a plan as AB, or it gets thrown out the window in the emotion and everyone rushes.
When the whole coaching staff rushes to deal with it, no one is left to keep the bench calm and on the sideline. The way AB describes it - it if works correctly - sounds like just the right mixture of prevention and helping.

Offline bbeagle

• FAN REACTION: +14/-52
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2012, 07:28:40 AM »
most often a coach or coaching staff running out on field to break up fight is usually followed by entire bench and the opposing bench also.

Never had that problem in High School ball. Little League is a different beast, and the scenerio you stated definately would happen in Little League.

In High School, our coaches come out and help break up fights or altercations. I think it starts from the coaches informing their players that they are not to come onto the field for fights. This is drilled into the players every game, both by the coaches and by our pre-game talk we referees give the players on the sidelines ... and the players listen.

Do other areas not talk to teams before the game? Around our area while the coin-toss is going on, while the R and U are in the middle with the captains, the linesman gathers the visiting team on the visiting team sideline, and the linejudge gathers the home team on the home sideline and both talk to their teams about sportsmanship, no taunting or baiting, and how they are serious and there will be no warnings during the contest.

srhendon

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2012, 10:06:35 AM »
AB covered the reasons the coaches should be out there as long as they are doing their job we can  do ours.I will try to stop a fight before it gets out of hand but touching a player leaves you open for a law suit or other problems. In youth ball I would get out of dodge none of the coaches or parents are likely to show good sense.

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2012, 11:27:03 AM »
Do other areas not talk to teams before the game?

Pre game we meet the coaches, inspect pads and playcards and eyeblack and non-white towels and pant belts and then I go instruct my chain crew.

Nope.  At the coin toss, I'm at the numbers with a ball, observing my sideline; or more usually, the end zone where my team has gathered.

Coaches are told by the WH in pre-game, captains are told at the coin toss.  If they don't get it, we'll take care of it when the need arises.

Offline scl-man

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2012, 03:36:33 PM »
  The player is ejected and suspended for two games and the school is fined $1000. 

$1000???  That would put most schools in SC out of business!  ;)

On a serious note... I understand the need for a real penalty, but I don't see how taking $1,000 away from a school is a good idea. 

Offline bbeagle

• FAN REACTION: +14/-52
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2012, 03:36:54 PM »
Nope.  At the coin toss, I'm at the numbers with a ball, observing my sideline; or more usually, the end zone where my team has gathered.

In our area, both teams are on their sidelines before the toss. Usually the national anthem plays while all teams are on the sideline, then the coin toss, where we walk the players out at the 50. Why are the teams in the end zone at this time? The mechanics have us walking the captains out from the 50.

After the coin toss, all 4-5 of the officials meet together at the center, give the coin toss results, and then immediately go to our positions for the kickoff, which commences within 30 seconds of this. We couldn't do this if both teams were in the endzones.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 03:38:34 PM by bbeagle »

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2012, 06:32:29 PM »
This past weekend we passed the 100 mark for fighting ejections in NC this season... The player is ejected and suspended for two games and the school is fined $1000...
I just took off my shoes and socks and did a little math. 100 grand sweetens up the state coffers very nicely, and basketball season hasn't even started yet. That's a huge chunk of change. Where does this money go?
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline Curious

• FAN REACTION: +36/-50
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2012, 09:31:13 PM »
I just took off my shoes and socks and did a little math. 100 grand sweetens up the state coffers very nicely, and basketball season hasn't even started yet. That's a huge chunk of change. Where does this money go?

Sure doesn't go to the officials.......... :sTiR:

Offline FBUmp

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2012, 12:42:22 AM »
$1000???  That would put most schools in SC out of business!  ;)

On a serious note... I understand the need for a real penalty, but I don't see how taking $1,000 away from a school is a good idea.

Accountability.

Offline FBUmp

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2012, 12:45:51 AM »

I believe it's limited to one incident per game, not matter how many are ejected.

No idea how the money is used.

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2012, 08:08:21 PM »
I believe it's limited to one incident per game, not matter how many are ejected.
Unless they are throwing 10 out per game, it's still a good chunk of money collected.
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline yarnnelg

• FAN REACTION: +55/-37
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2012, 10:45:08 AM »
The last fight that could have erupted into a bench clearing melee was stopped cold by a reaction that we could not have planned better. The fight started between a defensive tackle and the quarterback. Both wings pivoted and hammered on our whistles immediately then started screaming to stay on the sidelines. Both coaching staffs turned and screamed for their kids to stay put. The White Hat and Umpire took care of the two combatants. Punches were thrown by both which resulted in automatic ejections.

Head Coaches were probably six to eight yards on the field when they stopped everyone. The Head Coach thinks he can stop the fight ... these guys aren't trained to fight ... so they end very quickly... a bare hand to a helmet a time or two dissuades the most aggressive of combatants quickly.