Author Topic: NFHS Football Survey  (Read 6323 times)

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
Re: NFHS Football Survey
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2019, 07:37:41 AM »
IMO,  Legal BBW's are perfectly safe and helps smaller linemen take on bigger linemen.  What do you think a goal line stand will look like if you eliminate BBW where everyone wants to submarine. The rule is great the way it is.  Yes, maybe a little ambiguity with shotgun teams, but that's not enough to get rid of the whole rule.
A proposal to remove the FBZ has arose several times but without any success. While it would make it easier for us officials, it would not for smaller O-linemen and has been strongly opposed by many coaches. Yes, the snap from shotgun may have left the FBZ before the OL makes his contact, but as long as it occurs a split-second after the snap     (refer to Case 2.17.2E ) it is legal.

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2019, 07:43:49 AM »
IMO,  Legal BBW's are perfectly safe and helps smaller linemen take on bigger linemen.  What do you think a goal line stand will look like if you eliminate BBW where everyone wants to submarine. The rule is great the way it is.  Yes, maybe a little ambiguity with shotgun teams, but that's not enough to get rid of the whole rule.

I see a lot more players go down in a game with potential knee injuries that with potential head injuries.  And we all know several people limping because of knee problems.

I know from a competitive standpoint that this will never pass, and (if I'm being honest) maybe it shouldn't, from that perspective.  I know that's teh equalizer for teams that don't have any size.  But from a safety perspective, I'd like to see it eliminated.

Offline PABJNR

• FAN REACTION: +12/-3
  • When a whistle stops a play it is inadvertent
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2019, 07:37:41 PM »
Val, while I may disagree, I get where your coming from safety wise, I think the more unsafe block  is the chop block, I wish they would make the  low block at the waist instead of knee and just make a low-low block illegal. As of now you could have a player engaged high and get contacted in the thigh and if free blocking zone is in tact it could be legal action.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You don't have to call everything you see...but you have to see everything you call!

Offline Magician

• FAN REACTION: +257/-8
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2019, 12:15:15 AM »
Val, while I may disagree, I get where your coming from safety wise, I think the more unsafe block  is the chop block, I wish they would make the  low block at the waist instead of knee and just make a low-low block illegal. As of now you could have a player engaged high and get contacted in the thigh and if free blocking zone is in tact it could be legal action.

I try not to get too technical with that. If he's hitting him in the thigh he's likely hitting him in the knee as well. Don't nit pick it. But I agree making the low component only be below the waist would be much more logical. I proposed the rule change the year it was switched from delayed to simultaneous and my version had the waist. No idea if my submission made it to the committee, but if it did they low part was changed.

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2019, 07:35:34 AM »

I'd support that, too.  Anything to make blocking less dangerous would be fine with me. 

Like I said, I know eliminating everything below the waist will never pass, and since that's one way for a smaller team to compete with a bigger team, I'm not sure it even should...