Author Topic: 11/15 - Giants / Pats - Timing error?  (Read 5291 times)

Offline hefnerjm

• FAN REACTION: +19/-23
  • Everyone needs a student, a mentor, & a friend
11/15 - Giants / Pats - Timing error?
« on: November 16, 2015, 01:01:39 PM »
I was watching casually w/o a DVR....but this is what I think I saw...

Roughly 2:10 left in the game, and NE had just called a timeout.  Giants ran a play, and no time came off the clock.  NE called another timeout (still 2:10).  After next play, clock reads 2:01...then 2 min warning. 

Without this timing error, the Giants would have had 1 more play after the 2 min warning, and would have likely drained another 40 secs off the clock and NE wouldnt have had enough time to win with last second FG.

Anyone able to provide video?
Coach: "I've been doing this 30 years!  I know the rules!"
Ref: "Are you married coach?"
Coach (suddenly offguard): "umm...yeah, why?"
Ref: "I've been married 30 years and my wife says there is still room for improvement"
Coach: "<silence>"

Offline Bwest

• FAN REACTION: +12/-3
Re: 11/15 - Giants / Pats - Timing error?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2015, 01:17:14 PM »
I was watching casually w/o a DVR....but this is what I think I saw...

Roughly 2:10 left in the game, and NE had just called a timeout.  Giants ran a play, and no time came off the clock.  NE called another timeout (still 2:10).  After next play, clock reads 2:01...then 2 min warning. 

Without this timing error, the Giants would have had 1 more play after the 2 min warning, and would have likely drained another 40 secs off the clock and NE wouldnt have had enough time to win with last second FG.

Anyone able to provide video?

Clock was reset to 2:14 after the timeout. Next play happened to only take 4 seconds.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 01:18:46 PM by Bwest »

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2015, 01:30:12 PM »
Remember Nixon's aide that "accidently" erased several minutes of Watergate tapes :o ::) ???? Many of us in Patriot Nation had a similar "malfunction" 8]. Although American Honey (Wild Turkey and honey) had slightly blurred my vision, I noticed that, too. I also noticed what the covering officials and I thought was a Giant's TD. I've learned from past years not to change the channel (ala "tuck rule") until the guys in the replay wagon issue their verdict. I then realized that I musta' had a dose of D.T.s......

HOW ABOUT THAT FIELD GOAL!!!

GO PATS, GO aWaRd aWaRd aWaRd aWaRd aWaRd

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2015, 02:45:34 PM »
As referenced by that great philosopher, Forrest Guump, always expect that sooner or later, "Stuff happens", after which "the beat goes on".

Offline BrendanP

• FAN REACTION: +19/-252
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2015, 05:48:00 PM »
Despite being a member of Patriots Nation, I'll put the coaching hat on here. New York had no one to blame for that loss but themselves for the play calling at the end of the game. Anyone in their right mind would have run the ball three times and called timeout with 3 or 4 seconds left and kicked the field goal. Instead, they threw it three times and left New England with plenty of time to get downfield.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 08:33:42 PM by BrendanP »

Offline chaoslord

• FAN REACTION: +2/-2
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2015, 06:03:08 PM »
Despite being a member of Patriots Nation, I'll put the coaching hat on here. New York had o blame for hat loss but themselves for the play calling at the end of the game. Anyone in their right mind would have run the ball here times and called timeout with 3 or 4 seconds left and kicked the field goal. Instead, they threw it three times and left New England with plenty of time to get downfield.

Coaching hat on, it wasn't really as bad as it looks on paper imo. 2:06 on the clock, your best weapons are receivers, you have to imagine that your play will take six seconds so take your shot at the end zone. If it doesn't work then you get to just run it the rest of the way after the two minute warning. They got unlucky that it only went to 2:01. At that point, no matter what you do the clock is stopping again so take another shot. Then third down was a designed bootleg to either get open for a TD pass or take a short loss and make them burn a time out. It had a better chance of scoring a TD than handing off to their RB.

If the clock gets to 2:00 on first down the rest of it doesn't matter. They should be talking to their clock operator about being so quick to stop the clock! (Just kidding, of course)

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2015, 07:26:21 PM »
Despite being a member of Patriots Nation, I'll put the coaching hat on here. New York had o blame for hat loss but themselves for the play calling at the end of the game. Anyone in their right mind would have run the ball here times and called timeout with 3 or 4 seconds left and kicked the field goal. Instead, they threw it three times and left New England with plenty of time to get downfield.
I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one who thought that. NE only had one TO. What were the Giants thinking?
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline BrendanP

• FAN REACTION: +19/-252
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2015, 09:26:20 PM »
I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one who thought that. NE only had one TO. What were the Giants thinking?

On an unrelated note, I sincerely apologize for all the typos. My iPad's damn autocorrect gets me every time.

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2015, 09:44:01 AM »
RUN THE DARN FOOTBALL!

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2015, 10:09:24 AM »
Gentlemen, as a really long time Giant fan, allow me to explain EXACTLY why the Giants lost Sunday.  Unfortunately, they simply didn't score more points that the Patriots.  Giants don't make excuses, or whine, they either fix what's not working, or suffer with it until they do.