Author Topic: “False start, offense. Everyone but the center..... "  (Read 6104 times)

Offline Aussie-Zebra

• FAN REACTION: +8/-3
  • Australian Gridiron Officials Association
    • Gridironwest
“False start, offense. Everyone but the center..... "
« on: December 27, 2010, 07:17:09 AM »
A local college referee also drew some chuckles while working a Division III college game showed on the local cable channel. When the snapper missed the count, remaining motionless while the rest of the offensive line fired out, the referee reported the foul thusly: “False start, offense. Everyone but the center. Five-yard penalty. Repeat the down.” Again, a perfectly legitimate explanation.

Saw this in an article about open referee mikes on Myreferee - anyone perhaps have video ? Mike ?  pray:;
For every coach that thinks we got it wrong there's another that thinks we got it right.

busman

Re: “False start, offense. Everyone but the center..... "
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 10:17:05 AM »
No video, but happens all the time at the high school level.  The center forgets his most important function - snapping the ball on the right count.  And of course, everyone else gets charged with the penalty even though it's his fault.  Kind of like a catcher getting called for a passed ball when the pitcher crosses him up on the sign.

The importance of the centers on a football team - Following my junior year in college, we had a "bad year" my senior year, finishing 7-3 including two conference losses that kept us out of the NAIA playoffs and a bowl game. When my coach was asked for an explanation, he stated "For the first time in three years, we didn't have Jimmy Morris snapping the ball.  And nothing can happen until that guy does his job."

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 11:21:15 AM »
I have on many occasions used the phrase "Illegal procedure*, multiple players. Five yard penalty, repeat X down" when something goes majorly wrong with the snap count, or you've got many people making a goof.

*Canoodian for "False start."

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 08:26:15 PM »
I have, on occasion, gone in and reported this as "Failure to Snap" as the foul to the R & U.  Haven't had an R ask me the signal for it yet. ;D

busman

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2010, 08:50:21 AM »
"Failure to Snap"?  Wasn't that a movie with Matthew McGaughey, Kathy Bates, Terry Bradshaw and Horseface Parker?

LarryW60

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 08:23:21 AM »
Nah.  It was "Cool Hand Luke" with Paul Newman.

What we've got here... is FAILURE to communicate!