Author Topic: TASO Training video 2  (Read 7277 times)

Offline copedaddy

• FAN REACTION: +6/-6
TASO Training video 2
« on: October 08, 2014, 12:14:44 PM »
Any thoughts about plays 11-13 on BBW? Reading the book doesn't seem to jive with what is being said. Thoughts????

Offline TXMike

• FAN REACTION: +229/-265
  • When you quit learning you quit living
Re: TASO Training video 2
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 12:28:20 PM »
What are your specific objections?  Are you disputing the blocking back towards orig pos of the ball parts ? Something else?

Offline TexDoc

• FAN REACTION: +98/-26
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 01:14:26 PM »
What I do know is that play 11 would be really tough to catch in a 5 man crew, and maybe even a 8 man crew.

Offline wtagriffin

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 01:58:42 PM »
On the play shown on slide 12 of the video, the speaker states that the blocker who is originally unrestricted (as defined in 9-1-6-a-1) becomes restricted from blocking back toward the original position of the ball after he leaves the low blocking zone.  This does not seem to agree with 9-1-6-a-4 which states "Players not covered in paragraph 1 (above) may not block below the waist toward
the original position of the ball at the snap."  The wingback in this play is clearly covered/described in paragraph 1.

Offline TXMike

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2014, 02:42:28 PM »
I believe the previous play is under further review     ;)

Offline Birddog

• FAN REACTION: +2/-2
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2014, 02:46:45 PM »
copedaddy may be referring to the term "at the snap".  I know there are varying degrees of how long this term is viable. 

Players not covered in paragraph 1 (above) may not block below the waist toward
the original position of the ball at the snap.

SA_Zebra

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2014, 04:46:09 PM »
Go back and watch Walt's training video from 6/27/13. The low block back towards the original position of the ball has to be at the snap, or immediately thereafter to be illegal. In plays 11 and 12, the blocks were well after the snap, therefore legal.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 04:51:10 PM by SA_Zebra »

Offline psv

• FAN REACTION: +14/-14
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2014, 04:59:14 PM »
I think a good way to enforce this would be to determine "...at the snap" to be while the ball is in the low blocking zone.

While the ball is in the low blocking zone, restricted players are prohibited against blocking back towards the original position of the ball.  Once the ball leaves, and all players are restricted, then the low block has to meet the requirements of 10-2 and not back towards their end zone.

Just my .02 worth...

Offline psv

• FAN REACTION: +14/-14
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2014, 04:59:48 PM »
Also, is this video posted online somewhere?  I checked the TASO side of Arbiter but didnt see it.

Offline TXMike

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2014, 07:22:47 PM »
I went back to the 2013  CFO video on blocking below the waist.  Re blocks back toward the ball,there were multiple examples of  originally restricted blockers blocking back toward the orig position of the ball after the ball left the LBZ.  In all of them, they were called illegal.  The point was made that this judgment of foul or not has to be based on how well developed the play is and how far downfield the block happened.  They did not give a cutoff distance as to when it would be legal or illegal but said each play had to be judged on its own. 

Offline TXMike

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2014, 07:34:08 PM »
Also, is this video posted online somewhere?  I checked the TASO side of Arbiter but didnt see it.

They are in the OnLine Clinic area of the TASO Arbiter site

SA_Zebra

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2014, 07:45:05 PM »
The rule modification regarding the crack back was made after the video made by Terry McAuley in which he states the type of blocks in the TASO video are illegal. If I recall correctly, it was already outdated by the time it was posted.

Offline TXMike

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2014, 07:54:52 PM »
The video was released on Aug 23 I think.  We the rule change was first announced it did not have the subpara 4 re "crackbacks". That was added before the video was done

Offline copedaddy

• FAN REACTION: +6/-6
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2014, 07:38:59 AM »
Maybe that is the reason my pdf version on my computer at school does not have #4, it is an older 2013 pdf. But I did down load it in early Sept from the NCAA site when I got the new laptop. I thought I got a new version and they had taken #4 out.

SA_Zebra

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2014, 09:41:55 AM »
TXMike-- exactly... McAuley's video was already wrong when it was first made available to us. Walt's 6/27/13 video on footballofficiating.com covers the crackback block accurately, and contradicts the TASO training video.

Offline TXMike

« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2014, 11:50:47 AM »
This is from the Big XII bulletin, Aug 27, 2013:

Blocking Below the Waist
Understanding that this rule underwent a few modifications and editions during the spring, even with the addition in June of the crackback provision, the general theme that the Rules Committee is trying to promote is to gauge actions in this area based upon the block rather than a geographic reference. There are three exceptions to this theme: close line blocks within the Low Block Zone, Crackback blocks, and Peel Back blocks, but even these have guidelines. A Crackback block is no longer defined as in previous years and is intended to apply to the player who immediately after the snap moves in toward the original position of the ball and blocks low. The original position of the ball is an area and we no longer have that 120-yard line running the entire length of the field; but, there is also no distance requirement and you can have an illegal crackback block by a very wide player who goes after the snap inside a considerable distance and blocks a defender low, even if from the front. The key is that we all understand what the crackback block is and is not. At some point during the play, there is an implied transition to the 10-2 concept of blocks even for players who immediately after the snap are prohibited from going inside to block low, provided they are not in route to the inside to make low contact as this transition occurs. It is impossible to write a rule that dictates exactly when this transition occurs, but as a general guideline, once the ball is clearly outside the low block zone and originally restricted players stop their movement toward the inside, that is a good reference to then just focus on the block itself being in the 10-2 frame and not a Peel Back toward their own goal line. Again, this is not absolute as you can certainly have an illegal crackback by a wide receiver who is at the snap on the move toward the original position of the ball and blocks low even though the ball has moved outside the zone; that would still be illegal. Another reference that the Rules Committee also intended is to consider whether or not the defender has a reasonable opportunity to see the block coming or to protect himself. Well after a play develops, low blocks clearly from the front where defenders have plenty of time to protect themselves are not intended to be illegal unless they are Peel Back in nature. Review again the various examples of plays that we have discussed and we will continue to provide additional examples as the season unfolds.