Author Topic: Composite football  (Read 3366 times)

Offline copedaddy

• FAN REACTION: +6/-6
Composite football
« on: September 24, 2015, 11:18:11 AM »
So the memo from TASO says composite footballs are illegal. OK, I agree. But they say if the team only has composite balls to let them use them, and write is up with UIL. Why? We don't let them use any other illegal equipment. Why give them an advantage on this?
Also why is it OK for sub varsity players to use them? Shouldn't the rule apply to all levels? Just looks like classic example of the tail wagging the dog.

Offline Welpe

• FAN REACTION: +28/-11
Re: Composite football
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2015, 11:37:25 AM »
They want games being played. Same with players that have knee pads that don't always cover his knees. Let him play and file a report.

Of course the report goes off into the ether of the UIL never to be seen again but our job is done.

Offline Joe Stack

• FAN REACTION: +33/-46
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2015, 11:38:03 AM »
We don't let them use illegal equipment that a) is dangerous or b) they can do without. Its hard to do without the football. I guess they COULD use the other team's balls, but honestly, the write up is the more effective way to go. Makes all individuals associated with the school (AD, principal, etc.) aware of the situation.

As far as subvarsity, you have a good point. Is this a UIL exception?

Offline TexDoc

• FAN REACTION: +98/-26
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2015, 12:53:34 PM »
Like it seems with most UIL rules, it is squishy.  There's a rule, but if they violate it, just report it...and not a darned thing will happen.  Just like very long half times, knees not covered, wrong color jerseys, jerseys not covering back plates, not much is done to correct.  Smile, officiate, have fun, and go on.  Send a report if you think it will help, but at least to cover your rear.

Offline hefnerjm

• FAN REACTION: +19/-23
  • Everyone needs a student, a mentor, & a friend
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2015, 01:07:18 PM »
the write up is the more effective way to go. Makes all individuals associated with the school (AD, principal, etc.) aware of the situation.

I would think more "effective" would be to impose actual consequences...like making them use the other team's legal football. 
Coach: "I've been doing this 30 years!  I know the rules!"
Ref: "Are you married coach?"
Coach (suddenly offguard): "umm...yeah, why?"
Ref: "I've been married 30 years and my wife says there is still room for improvement"
Coach: "<silence>"

Offline williebe

• FAN REACTION: +1/-12
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2015, 04:20:42 PM »
Footballs and drones. What a start to a season. :sTiR: