Author Topic: fumble or down  (Read 4122 times)

Offline copedaddy

• FAN REACTION: +6/-6
fumble or down
« on: October 09, 2015, 11:07:34 AM »
Since we do not have replay in high school football, what is the "when in question" for a fumble? I have always heard player is down when in question. No cheap turnovers. What say ye?

Offline mishatx

• FAN REACTION: +28/-11
  • Free Agent
Re: fumble or down
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 11:14:59 AM »
Down.

Offline TXMike

• FAN REACTION: +229/-265
  • When you quit learning you quit living
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2015, 11:15:52 AM »
I am pretty sure we have that in the official philosophies in Mechanics Manual and it says when in question it is a fumble.  Video reviews over the years revealed more often than not, when in question it really was a fumble so that is what we are going with.

Online JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2015, 02:09:59 PM »
I am pretty sure we have that in the official philosophies in Mechanics Manual and it says when in question it is a fumble.  Video reviews over the years revealed more often than not, when in question it really was a fumble so that is what we are going with.

Agreed.  It even rhymes.  When it doubt, the ball is out.

Offline mishatx

• Free Agent
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2015, 10:01:20 PM »
I vaguely remember a college philosophy document a few years ago suggesting to call fumble if there was replay, but to call down if there was not.  The idea being that replay can correct if it is not a fumble, but was called a fumble, but may not (at the time, could not) correct if it was a fumble but was called as down.

Calling as down seems consistent with the when in question rules - incomplete pass and not fumble, forward pass and not backward beyond NZ

The most recent TASO manual I have at hand is 2012, and it doesn't seem to mention either way regarding this.

Online JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2015, 01:42:20 PM »
I vaguely remember a college philosophy document a few years ago suggesting to call fumble if there was replay, but to call down if there was not.  The idea being that replay can correct if it is not a fumble, but was called a fumble, but may not (at the time, could not) correct if it was a fumble but was called as down.

Calling as down seems consistent with the when in question rules - incomplete pass and not fumble, forward pass and not backward beyond NZ

The most recent TASO manual I have at hand is 2012, and it doesn't seem to mention either way regarding this.

Page 79 of the 2015 Manual:  When in question, the runner fumbled the ball and was not down.

Offline goodgrr

• Roger Goodgroves
  • FAN REACTION: +13/-12
  • We are always learning
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2015, 01:58:21 PM »

That sounds like a sensible approach to me.  No cheap turnovers.

Offline mishatx

• Free Agent
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2015, 11:25:28 PM »
Page 79 of the 2015 Manual:  When in question, the runner fumbled the ball and was not down.

Not being a TASO member this year, I don't have that manual. (the 2012 manual doesn't even *have* a p 79!).  I'll hunt one down to prep for my eventual return.

Is that new language for this year?