Author Topic: 7 man mechanic on Free Kicks  (Read 1717 times)

Offline copedaddy

• FAN REACTION: +6/-6
7 man mechanic on Free Kicks
« on: November 26, 2019, 06:07:44 PM »
After a full season of 7 man mechanics with dozens if not hundreds of kickoffs, I am wondering if there is a need for a “Short Kick” mechanic similar to what is used in 5 man.
Seeing that the current mechanics is designed for use with college level athletes that kick the ball consistently to the 5yd line or beyond, but most high school kickers either can’t or the coaches prefer the pooch kicks to the 25-30 yd line. I feel that we are leaving a “hole” in the coverage of these plays.
Difficult to judge KCI on the 27 from the pylon in my opinion. And with traffic in the way can be difficult for the F or S to judge from the 45.
Then there is the dead ball spot on short kicks that get returned. Most H and L’s I know will have a hard time making up ground on an 18 year old with a 25 yard head start. Not to mention the ability to see loose ball plays where the runner may or may not have been down.
Since we don’t have replay to bail us out for lack of position, it just seems logical to me. Of course, I am an education major, which means I went to school for a long time and don’t know anything.  Just wanted to throw this out there and see if anyone else sees this as a problem.

Offline bctgp

• FAN REACTION: +6/-10
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Re: 7 man mechanic on Free Kicks
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2019, 06:56:54 PM »
Just to clarify, I think you mean an "Alternate Short Free Kick Option" mechanic similar to Crews of 5-Officials. The "Short kick" mechanic is for anticipated on-side kicks.  However, I think it is a fair question.

Have you asked your respective TASO District Director to consider a request to update the crew of 7-officials mechanics or also make the request yourself when TASO solicits input from the membership on possible mechanics changes in the next month or so?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 07:05:36 PM by bctgp »

Offline TxBJ

• FAN REACTION: +9/-6
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2019, 07:51:12 PM »
When the time is right TASO will ask for mechanics change suggestions. I think this would be a good one.

Offline Clear Lake ref

• FAN REACTION: +5/-2
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2019, 11:25:54 PM »
Great, logical plan.  Hopefully the powers that be remember we aren’t the same as college.

Offline Joe Stack

• FAN REACTION: +33/-46
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2019, 11:33:16 PM »
I think the mechanic should allow the LJ/HL and crew to alter their starting position to their discretion, based on the length of the kickoff. It might be different for each team. A wing on, say, the 20 that sees a kick coming back toward the pylon SHOULD have enough time to get back in time to rule OOB or touchback. The R can come over and help out.

We worry too much about the pylon and really, how many times does that actually happen as opposed to things like shorter kicks, KCI, fair catches, spots, potential fouls, etc.? This reminds me of basketball where the Trail official "bails" on a shot because he's worried about a defensive rebound leading to a fast break and getting beat. Meanwhile, he takes himself out of getting a good position to rule on potential calls that have a better chance of occurring than a hypothetical that may never occur.