Author Topic: Penalty Enforcement  (Read 3041 times)

KirbyB

Penalty Enforcement
« on: August 16, 2011, 07:28:55 AM »
I am a fairly new official. This is my fourth year.

K attempts an onside kick.  During the kick, you have first touching by K at K48, then you have an illegal block by R.  The ball rolls out of bounds after being touched by R at the 50.  During the play you also have unintentional contact with an official in the restricted area by R.

What's the ruling?

My thinking is:  First touching is ignored because of a foul by R.  The illegal block is enforced from the previous spot (K40) and then the nonplayer foul is enforced from the succeeding spot.  K would re-kick from R30.

Offline zebraken

• FAN REACTION: +1/-3
Re: Penalty Enforcement
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 08:00:17 AM »
illegal block would only be a 10 yd penalty not 15..that skewed your math but you are right

keystoneref

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 02:42:52 PM »
Zebrakin

Any illegal block in (except a BIB) in Federation rules is a 15 yard penalty.  The kick has a previous spot enforcement, start at K's 40 add 15, now you are at R's 45.  Now add the non-player foul 15 yard and you are re-kicking from R's 30 ydl.

Offline zebraken

• FAN REACTION: +1/-3
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 08:20:37 PM »
any illegal blocking technique or a block in the back is 10 yards...clipping, blocking below the waist or a chop block is 15

Offline InsideTheStripes

• FAN REACTION: +0/-5
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 11:23:07 PM »
I'd be careful about calling an illegal block while the ball is loose.  I'm not saying it can't happen or that it shouldn't be called in certain circumstances, but I'd be careful.