Author Topic: Football Coaches Evaluations  (Read 42364 times)

Offline Arbitrator

• Chief Manor Road Pig Poker
  • FAN REACTION: +7/-10
Football Coaches Evaluations
« on: March 08, 2012, 02:09:32 PM »
 ^flag

Several TASO Chapters, for many years, have been inviting head football coaches to some chapter meetings to speak to the chapter members regarding coaches evaluations and what the coaches expectations are of a football officiating crew that is working one of their games. Do you feel, in any way, that those coaches are eminently qualified to render viable information on that given subject matter? Why or why not?   z^

Offline fencewire

• FAN REACTION: +20/-74
Re: Football Coaches Evaluations
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 02:27:12 PM »
90% of the time there is too much variation in their evaluation simply based on if one call in a game was seen as "bad" (right or wrong) and if they win or lose the game.

You could have a crew that went out and yucked it up with a coach, were sloppy mechanically, and as long as there weren't any big plays or tough calls and the coach wins the game they are going to get a 1 or a 100, or whatever the top grade is.

Now you take a crew that is all business, but not aloof, great mechanics and have one questionable call (right or wrong by the crew, doesn't matter it is the perception of the coach) and the coach lose and they are going to get downgraded, most likely.

It is the nature of the beast, they don't know our mechanics, they don't know what different officials are looking at, and many know only a smattering of the rules, work the wings and hear a coach ask questions about one thing or another and it doesn't take long to figure these things out.

So the ratings/grades aren't really worth much except to make them feel like they have input on something, if they really feel you did a bad job, they will scratch you and you can go on and work the multitude of other schools that every chapter services.

Offline Welpe

• FAN REACTION: +28/-11
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 02:41:56 PM »
Here's what I know from the TASO State meeting up in Arlington a couple years ago.

One of the head coaches presenting his offense said what he wanted from officials was that we knew something about their program and that he was going to get some calls that benefitted him.

That spoke volumes.

rickref

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 02:59:42 PM »
Fence hits it on the head. It is all on emotion and they do not know enough.

Offline clearwall

• FAN REACTION: +14/-13
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 05:09:41 PM »
I wouldnt mind input, because even if they dont know EXACTLY what we're looking at or why, they still have an opinion that holds some weight. They, like us, are IN the game and can offer valuable criticism to help us improve. However, I agree with most of y'all that the coaches opinions should be taken with a grain of salt. I sure care more what a coach has to say than what a FAN has to say, that's for darn sure

Offline Arbitrator

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 06:27:58 PM »
 ^flag

The way I look at it, it makes just about as much sense for Coaches to evaluate us on mechanics and/or judgment as it would be for us to evaluate the Coaches on areas such as play-calling, clock management, and their affibility toward officials. In essence, they are adversarial and we are judicial. Seems to me that it's kind of like having attorneys and judges grading each other.   z^

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 09:18:35 PM »
I went to the coaches office to do the pregame one game and noticed on his desk was the crew rating card.  It was already filled out and we didn't even work the game yet.  Out of all the coaches evaluations I have received I can think of only about 3 that have had any benefit to me in the past 12 years.

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2012, 08:21:10 AM »
I voted no because the evaluation is done based on to many variables. Could coaches give an honest evaluation based on rule knowledge, mechanics, and philosophy? Of course some could, but very seldom is that ever done. I have known coaches (like Jason referred to) that simply put a number on the card. I have known some who based the rating strictly on win/lose and some who base it on one call (again right or wrong).

A few coaches will actually lose the game on a close call and give a good rating, most wil not.

" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline TexDoc

• FAN REACTION: +98/-26
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2012, 10:16:20 AM »
When I get a good rating, I think the coach is a genius and recognizes real talent.  When he gives a poor rating, I think he's a sore loser. 

Offline Coby

• FAN REACTION: +24/-72
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2012, 10:38:46 AM »
I believe that if a coach were to turn in their HUDL video and list out the 5-10 penalties or questionable plays that it could go a long ways in crew and coach development.  Once a coach turns in the plays an evaluator can look at them and grade the crew and grade the coaches ability to critique.  Coaches that are productive in their evaluations will get more leadway in their complaints down the road.  Coaches that just complain to complain will be treated like such.

Until we start tracking coaches complaints (which really would not be that hard with Hudl) this is all a moot point.

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2012, 11:18:30 AM »
Some coaches respond to the chapters with video clips and reqest the chapter board review. Most however do not.

" I don't make the rules coach!"

Headlinesman

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2012, 07:27:38 AM »
Isn't this precisely why the NFL and the colleges have officials, not coaches, grading film? I'm sure the coaches in the big time still contact the supervisor and [edit] complain, but it is other officials assigning the grades, not the coaches. Unfortunately, that is a luxury most high school chapters don't have, except maybe Houston, but Lordy don't tell them they are JUST a high school chapter!  :sTiR:
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 08:18:24 AM by Rulesman »

WABill

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2012, 12:25:33 PM »
Just remember one thing.  The individual who is grading you is the same one a Federal Judge called "Hopelessly Childish."  Thats the type of feedback I can use to be a better official. 

As part of their job, they have a right to an opinion on the officials, and thats all it is.  An opinion.  Same as we don't have a right to grade them, just have an opinion of them.

Offline Arbitrator

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2012, 07:46:16 PM »
Just remember one thing.  The individual who is grading you is the same one a Federal Judge called "Hopelessly Childish."  Thats the type of feedback I can use to be a better official. 

As part of their job, they have a right to an opinion on the officials, and thats all it is.  An opinion.  Same as we don't have a right to grade them, just have an opinion of them.

^flag

Now for me to have my crew duly graded by a representative from  :bOW  tiphat: Manor Road  cRaZy just speaks volumes! Now if the grading is indeed being done by  cRaZy "Mr. Hopelessly Childish," then that's just spectacular! I mean, his experience is so vast! In addition to his actually having seen a football game once, rumor has it that he was a grizzled old intramural touch-football official at some small West Texas institution of higher education for all 13 years that it took him to get outta there!  z^

Offline Joe Stack

• FAN REACTION: +33/-46
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2012, 09:48:28 PM »
Here's the printout of the UIL coaches evaluation sent by UIL to the chapter. This was forwarded to me for last night's game. I have removed the personal info and ratings -- here is simply the questions asked just in case anyone is interested:

The UIL Sports Officials Department has received a performance evaluation for
officials from the ___ officials chapter.

This evaluation was submitted by a coach, (coach)

-----------------------------------

CONTEST INFORMATION:

Date: ()
Sport: Varsity Football
Home school: (home)
Visiting school: (visitor)
Game site: (home)

OFFICIALS:

Names or description: (officials names)
Chapter: (chapter)

EVALUATION:

Overall Grade: (letter grade)
Comments:
Evaluation details:

(all have listed Agree or disagree by the comment or question; removed for this post)

Official did not know the rules.
      Official was consistent in foul calling from the beginning to the end.
   Official showed favoritism for one team or student-athlete.
      Officials calls were made when needed.
   Official did not apply rules correctly.
   Official made too many calls for the level of the contest.
   Official does not understand the contest.
      Official used proper signals to communicate fouls, infractions, etc.
      Official had the courage to make needed calls during critical times.
   Official did not display confidence when making calls.
      Official was able to justify and explain calls.
   Official made too few calls for the level of the contest.
      Official was in proper position to see action.
   Official let emotions get in the way of his/her performance.
      Official was consistent in officiating the same for both teams.
   Official did not appear to be physically fit.
   Official did not involve game administrators when needed.
      Official displayed professional demeanor in overseeing contest.
   Official did not wear proper uniform.
   Official did not arrive on site at proper time.
      Official was courteous and willing to listen to participants.
   Official did not listen to questions or concerns from coaches/team
captains.
   Official did not hustle throughout contest.
      Official had the ability to cover plays and be in proper position.
   Official could not keep up with the pace of the contest.
      Official worked well with co-officials.
      Official communicated with co-officials in order to get the correct
call.
      Official addressed sportsmanship issues in a timely and professional
manner.
      Official communicated, when needed, to players and coaches.
   Official gave the impression they were the most important part of the
contest.

-----------------------------------

Thank you,

Tony Timmons

UIL Director of Officials

Wes71ref

« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2012, 11:42:34 PM »
Some of the problems we have ran into are that if the coach gave the crew a bad eval it was all the same comment for every official. You can't tell me every official made every call on every play. We always ask for game film at the pregame with each coach. We tell them we like to see what we do on the field so we can get better. Then the coach gets beat blames it on the officials, bad eval, no film. The reason he doesn't want to give film is because it will prove him wrong. Evals from some coaches are just not worth the paper they write them on. We all know when we gave both teams a good game. Learn from each other get better as a crew and move on.

Offline TXMike

• FAN REACTION: +229/-265
  • When you quit learning you quit living
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2012, 09:08:40 AM »
Here's the printout of the UIL coaches evaluation sent by UIL to the chapter. This was forwarded to me for last night's game.

For what its worth..this poorly worded evaluation form is available to any drunk with an internet connection at:  https://www.uiltexas.org/form/officials-evaluation/submit.php?sport=Football

Anyone can submit an "eval".  Not sure what UIL does with those not from "real" coaches.

Offline TxSkyBolt

• FAN REACTION: +45/-46
Football Coaches Evaluations
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2012, 11:39:19 AM »
And for each sport, the evaluation is identical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2012, 12:48:54 PM »
Some of the problems we have ran into are that if the coach gave the crew a bad eval it was all the same comment for every official. You can't tell me every official made every call on every play. We always ask for game film at the pregame with each coach. We tell them we like to see what we do on the field so we can get better. Then the coach gets beat blames it on the officials, bad eval, no film. The reason he doesn't want to give film is because it will prove him wrong. Evals from some coaches are just not worth the paper they write them on. We all know when we gave both teams a good game. Learn from each other get better as a crew and move on.

Our chapter started using HUDL just last week and we have gotten pretty much all the games since the first week.  I sent a letter to all of our coaches and they were very supportive to allowing us access to their game film.  Once I receive the film I share it with the members on that crew.  I then watch the game myself and make clips of interesting plays and then create a training tape to send out to the chapter each week.  If your chapter is not already using HUDL then it may be something you bring up to your leadership.

Wes71ref

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2012, 05:36:03 PM »
JasonTX. We have set up our crew Hudl account but have had coaches not add us after they give bad eval. We love Hudl and have used it this season.

Offline Coby

• FAN REACTION: +24/-72
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2012, 10:55:03 AM »
This is going to be a long but important post.  I have received a zebra ware evaluation by at least one coach every week.  I listed them out below.  I look at the chapter over all zebra ware summary and my 7 evaluations make up like 12 percent of the total evaluations.  Do you not ask coaches to fill out the zebra ware evaluations?  I make that and HUDL as part of my pregame and I have always received at least 1 after every game.

What does your chapter do with these evaluations?

What is the point of having the option if the chapter brass is not going to incorporate it into training or rankings? 

All of mine have been positive so far.  I think the evaluations should count towards something with regards to crew rankings.  We should not charge a school to cover one of their scrimmages if they always send a HUDL film and fill out an evaluation.

LOOSING COACH

5   Field Presence/Professionalism   R   100   Crew was one of most professional crews I have had. Very professional from before to end of game.

WINNING COACH

1   Game Management   R   
   100   Good enjoyed the lineman on my sideline
2   Communication   R   
   100   very good explained fouls and reported numbers. Clear communication before the game
3   Field Presence/Professionalism   R   
   100   were part of the game but not the game- very impressed- referee sent the most professional pre-game correspondence I have ever received.

Winning Coach

4   Rules Knowledge   R   
   100   made some very good tough calls that did not go in our favor but were correct on film
5   Mechanics/Position   R   
   100   back judge was good- made one outstanding call that cost a TD reception but was correct
6   Physical Condition/Appearance   R   
   100   very good- referee was clear and obviously had a good relationship with his crew

Loosing Coach

4   Rules Knowledge   R   
   100   handed out a great little sheet of rule changes for this year and went over them.

Winning Coach

1   Game Management   R   
   100   Excellent game management.
2   Communication   R   
l   100   Communicated penalties when needed and did a good job!
3   Field Presence/Professionalism   R   
   100   Best crew we have had all year
4   Rules Knowledge   R   
100   Excellent
5   Mechanics/Position   R   
   100   Top notch. Always in position communicated before making big calls...
6   Physical Condition/Appearance   R   

Offline TexDoc

• FAN REACTION: +98/-26
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2012, 12:13:15 PM »
Coby, I'm not sure of the numbers, but I would guess there are more chapter using Arbiter than ZW, and Arbiter does not have an evaluation section for coaches.

To your point about a coaches evaluation "meaning something," I could not disagree more.  Their "evaluation" is very subjected and uneducated (as it relates to what officials should be graded on).  A true evaluation must be done by an unbiased observer educated in the rules and mechanics of high school football in Texas.  All else is garbage.

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2012, 12:31:22 PM »
For what its worth..this poorly worded evaluation form is available to any drunk with an internet connection at:  https://www.uiltexas.org/form/officials-evaluation/submit.php?sport=Football

Anyone can submit an "eval".  Not sure what UIL does with those not from "real" coaches.
MIke, you are being too nice when you say "poorly written." The author is sending a HORRIBLE message and must have had a very unhappy childhood. Beep, beep... no matter what kind of game you worked, here comes the bus!

And yes, while I have an internet connection, I am not drunk... at least not at the moment.  ;D
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline TXMike

• FAN REACTION: +229/-265
  • When you quit learning you quit living
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2012, 03:22:12 PM »
Yep and this is the guy that danged near became our "boss"

Offline TxSkyBolt

• FAN REACTION: +45/-46
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2012, 03:28:06 PM »
Search this forum and you might find the evaluation authors email reply to my questioning whether this "evaluation" was a joke.