Author Topic: Shirt companies  (Read 22693 times)

elewis023

Shirt companies
« on: February 24, 2011, 01:52:15 PM »
Besides Honig's, what other companies are being considered to provide the 2" striped shirts?

I've heard that there are differences in the shirts between different companies.

Just Curious because I will need to order soon.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 08:18:39 PM by elewis023 »

El Macman

Re: Shirt companys
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 03:45:23 PM »
Can't answer your specific question, but some folks have got their shirts (from Honig's), and they have position letters on the pockets. Not sure if that is supposed to be. The question has been posed to authorities.

El Macman

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 04:11:18 PM »
Just got confirmation. The position letters on the shirt pocket are official. Go forth and prosper!

Offline linejudge

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 05:07:46 PM »
Besides Honig's early January 2011 I received an announcement from Purchase Official Supplies Northeast via email.

ATTENTION COLLEGE FOOTBALL OFFICIALS

We hope that you are well and had a wonderful holiday season  The purpose of this e-mail is to let you know that we we will be carrying the SMITTY 2" STRIPED COLLEGE FOOTBALL SHIRTS that will be worn for the 2011 season.    Although we will not be taking orders for these shirts for another couple weeks, we wanted to give you some "Early Bird" prices for both the Short and Long Sleeved "Elite" shirts that Smitty will be offering.   

Short Sleeved
Plain $23.00 (regular $29.00)
w/ Placket $31.00 (regular $42.00)
w/ Placket & Flag $34.50 (regular $47.50) 
w/ Placket, Flag & CFO Patch $37.50 (regular $53.50)
*No upcharge for 2XL, 3XL and 4XL and all shirts have "longer" cut 

Long Sleeved
Plain $25.00 (regular $31.00)
w/ Placket $35.00( (regular $44.00)
w/ Placket & Flag $38.50 (regular $49.50)
w/ Placket, Flag & CFO Patch $39.50 (regular $55.50)

*No upcharge for 2XL, 3XL and 4XL and all shirts have "longer" cut

We will also be offering the CFO Patches, US Flag Patches and Position Plackets at discounted prices if you would like to order them separately. 

In addition, we will be offering special discounts of 10-25% on selected knickers, shorts, socks, caps, accessories and more that will save you even more when you order these items with your new shirts.

Because we are do not have any further information at this time and are not ready to take orders for these shirts yet, we ask that you DO NOT E-MAIL US BACK AT THIS TIME CONCERNING THE NEW SHIRTS.

Thank you for your attention and we will be back in touch in a few weeks. 

Yours in Officiating,

Purchase Officials Supplies Northeast

ABoselli

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 07:13:38 PM »
I hope Cliff Keen shirts come out soon. Not a fan of Honigs stuff.

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 07:21:41 PM »
In addition, we will be offering special discounts of 10-25% on selected knickers, 

I thought knickers were a thing of the past for college officials.

If so, 15-25% doesn't sound like near enough of a discount for something silly to wear to halloween parties or to do yard work!

Offline xkath

• FAN REACTION: +3/-8
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 12:05:56 PM »
I thought knickers were a thing of the past for college officials.

If so, 15-25% doesn't sound like near enough of a discount for something silly to wear to halloween parties or to do yard work!

You do yardwork in knickers??  ^no

Dommer1

Re: Shirt companies
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011, 11:59:19 AM »
Picture of the new shirt with front position letter. This is the Smitty one: http://stores.intuitwebsites.com/purchaseofficialsupplies/-strse-1214/ST-dsh-NCAS/Detail.bok

Offline ljudge

• FAN REACTION: +19/-2
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2011, 06:37:20 PM »
This is driving me craaaaazy!   ???  Something new is being started and we're going to possibly have different shirts out of the gate.  Why?  I ordered my stuff only to find out I may need to take it back.  Trend is to drive toward consistency yet we're still not consistent.   hEaDbAnG

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2011, 07:28:19 PM »
This is driving me craaaaazy!   ???  Something new is being started and we're going to possibly have different shirts out of the gate.  Why?  I ordered my stuff only to find out I may need to take it back.  Trend is to drive toward consistency yet we're still not consistent.   hEaDbAnG

Think about the DIII and DII alternates of the world who will have to actually have a shirt for each position they may be needed at (if we have the pocket placard also)
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline Andrew McCarthy

• FAN REACTION: +21/-6
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2011, 08:52:32 PM »
Picture of the new shirt with front position letter. This is the Smitty one: http://stores.intuitwebsites.com/purchaseofficialsupplies/-strse-1214/ST-dsh-NCAS/Detail.bok
It looks like something that was designed off the top of someone's head without actually looking at the results.  "Hey we'll make the front pocket black with a white letter and center the flag above it."

Now look at the shirt and you see the letter and flag look totally off-center because of the way the pocket blends into the black stripes.

Seriously- why do we even need that on the front??

MJT

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2011, 10:44:38 PM »
Honigs does NOT have the position on the front pocket. http://www.honigs.com/sub/28/NCAA2SS  Why would they all not be the same?  hEaDbAnG

El Macman

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2011, 06:15:52 AM »
Honigs does NOT have the position on the front pocket. http://www.honigs.com/sub/28/NCAA2SS  Why would they all not be the same?  hEaDbAnG

Incorrect. Honig's shirts, as will all new NCAA shirts (2" stripes), has the position letter on the pocket. As noted last week, several folks got their shirts last week (from Honig's) and immediately noticed the position letter on the pocket. This was news to virtually everyone, so the question was posed to coordinators, and the coordinators confirmed the position letter on the pocket is correct. Pay no attention to the lack of the letter on the images on their web sites.

The shirts look fine, in person.

There has never been a really great way to use multiple position letters on the same shirt. Sure, folks have used velcro, peel and stick glue - all sorts of methods. But none look really good, short of separate shirts for each position. If you are in a position of needing multiple shirts, just count your blessings and get separate shirts.

Offline Dakota Dan

• FAN REACTION: +9/-1
  • ΦΑ ΣAE SD Theta
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2011, 08:50:56 AM »
Hong's does have a letter on the front pocket... the Hong's pocket is striped unlike the solid black one shown on POS web site and the letter fits within the black stripe on the pocket.  The letters on both front and back are cloth... and look pretty good.... the shirts run a little large too

Offline Welpe

• FAN REACTION: +28/-11
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2011, 09:08:06 AM »
Hong's does have a letter on the front pocket... the Hong's pocket is striped unlike the solid black one shown on POS web site and the letter fits within the black stripe on the pocket.  The letters on both front and back are cloth... and look pretty good.... the shirts run a little large too

How much larger?  Traditionally, Honigs shirts have fit me about a size small compared to other companies.

El Macman

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2011, 10:12:04 AM »
How much larger?  Traditionally, Honigs shirts have fit me about a size small compared to other companies.

This may or may not help, but I get "L" dress shirts, but have to get "XL" officiating shirts from Honig's. Same is the case with these new shirts.

cbailey

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2011, 10:40:02 AM »

I actually just received my shirt from Honig's and it ran a little small.   :-\

Dommer1

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2011, 10:55:34 AM »
Hong's does have a letter on the front pocket... the Hong's pocket is striped unlike the solid black one shown on POS web site and the letter fits within the black stripe on the pocket.  The letters on both front and back are cloth... and look pretty good.... the shirts run a little large too

So some will get an all-black pocket, and some will get a striped one? Or has this been coordinated without suppliers updating their pictures also? I sure hope so, surely there must be a standard for how it's supposed to look.

Edit: Spelling.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 03:33:27 PM by Dommer1 »

Grant - AR

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2011, 03:13:41 PM »
Besides Honig's, what other companies are being considered to provide the 2" striped shirts?

I've heard that there are differences in the shirts between different companies.

Just Curious because I will need to order soon.

Official's Choice is also offering these shirts.  I don't think he is quite ready to take orders yet, but he should be soon.

Also, here are two pictures someone sent me of a shirt from Honig's.  As you can see, it has a striped pocket with the letter inside the black stripe like Dakota Dan said earlier.

Offline Andrew McCarthy

• FAN REACTION: +21/-6
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2011, 04:17:16 PM »
Official's Choice is also offering these shirts.  I don't think he is quite ready to take orders yet, but he should be soon.

Also, here are two pictures someone sent me of a shirt from Honig's.  As you can see, it has a striped pocket with the letter inside the black stripe like Dakota Dan said earlier.

Those certainly look a lot better.  That H on the back is like a turd in the punch bowl, though.

Offline Osric Pureheart

• FAN REACTION: +18/-7
  • 1373937 or 308?
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2011, 06:42:28 PM »
If Adidas gets to plaster its logo all over some people's hats in prime real estate, I don't see why Dick shouldn't be allowed to do the same thing - that logo could have been far larger and more blatant.

(Now, if I were an uncharitable person, I might choose to use a picture of certain Canadian hats to illustrate what such a logo might look like; but I'm not, so I won't.)

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2011, 07:34:24 PM »
I thought he was denigrating Linesmen!

ABoselli

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2011, 05:20:39 AM »
Adidas and New Era pay the conferences for the right to put their logos in plain view for the cameras.

I don't think Honigs has made any such financial arrangement with anyone.

Offline Osric Pureheart

• FAN REACTION: +18/-7
  • 1373937 or 308?
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2011, 03:50:14 PM »
I think that manufacturers of products should have the right to display their logo on products if they want to, so that interested parties can find out who made them.  It's not free advertising because they've put money into actually making the clobber.

Grant - AR

« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2011, 04:07:18 PM »
I think that manufacturers of products should have the right to display their logo on products if they want to, so that interested parties can find out who made them.  It's not free advertising because they've put money into actually making the clobber.

They do have that right.  They just wouldn't sell many shirts.  :D  But, similar to the hats and shoes we see with logos, if a company agreed to provide shirts to all officials in a conference, I think some conferences would allow it.