Author Topic: 2021 Rules Committee Meeting  (Read 7978 times)

Offline ncwingman

• FAN REACTION: +72/-13
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Re: 2021 Rules Committee Meeting
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2021, 01:56:15 PM »
Technically we are still awaiting the 2020 season.  The change won't take effect until fall 2021.

I'm also sure that that one rule change won't be a big game changer, but possibly expecting one coach to yell about it in March...

Unless it's a *real* nothingburger like defining shades of gray for visiting teams uniforms.

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2021, 01:40:37 PM »
What in the world are you talking about? And how does that have anything to do with linemen lining up in a two point stance?
And yes, I looked up pettifogger. Has your picture beside it.
Are we going to resort to name calling now?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not about name calling, just a suggestion that might save a bunch of dead horses from continued beatings after their funerals and burial.  It's ENTIRELY your choice if/and or when, YOU choose to apply "a word to the wise" as opposed to a flag to BEST address a situation.  If you're not sure about how, or when, that option is appropriate, I'd suggest you have a thorough discussion with a mature fellow official, you have faith in, when you're seriously willing to listen.

My apologies if I fail to make a suggestion clear enough for you.  Should that happen, simply ask for clarification and I'll do my best to comply. That's a lot likely more productive than trying to put your words into my mouth.

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2021, 04:13:41 PM »
Not about name calling, just a suggestion that might save a bunch of dead horses from continued beatings after their funerals and burial.  It's ENTIRELY your choice if/and or when, YOU choose to apply "a word to the wise" as opposed to a flag to BEST address a situation.  If you're not sure about how, or when, that option is appropriate, I'd suggest you have a thorough discussion with a mature fellow official, you have faith in, when you're seriously willing to listen.

My apologies if I fail to make a suggestion clear enough for you.  Should that happen, simply ask for clarification and I'll do my best to comply. That's a lot likely more productive than trying to put your words into my mouth.
Ok, mature fellow official, I’m listening. How would you suggest I approach the situation of linemen lining up in a two point stance? What would I need to caution them about? And when?  Also, what perceived foul/rule would I be addressing? Please be as specific as possible. An example of a hypothetical conversation would be great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline AlUpstateNY

« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2021, 01:24:51 PM »
Ok, mature fellow official, I’m listening. How would you suggest I approach the situation of linemen lining up in a two point stance? What would I need to caution them about? And when?  Also, what perceived foul/rule would I be addressing? Please be as specific as possible. An example of a hypothetical conversation would be great.

You'd be better served, figuring out those questions by yourself, and then running your conclusions by someone who has, and is still, willing to work with you.

Offline CalhounLJ

« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2021, 03:44:02 PM »
You'd be better served, figuring out those questions by yourself, and then running your conclusions by someone who has, and is still, willing to work with you.
That’s what I figured.

Offline AlUpstateNY

« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2021, 06:28:07 PM »
That’s what I figured.

If self delusion makes you happy, go for it.

Offline riffraft

• FAN REACTION: +18/-19
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2021, 11:58:12 AM »
Official Mississippi interpretation is as long as the motion of the lineman is immediate and forward, it’s legal for him to block below the waist from a two point stance during a shotgun snap. If he takes a step back and then cuts it’s illegal.

As far as a potential “talk to”, I’m not holding a rules conference pregame or during. Coaches have the interp.

Official Arizona Interpretation is if the lineman are in a 2 point stance and in shotgun formation, it is illegal for them to block below the waist. Basically there is no time for the lineman to get low before the ball leaves the FBZ.

Offline CalhounLJ

« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2021, 12:31:26 PM »
Official Arizona Interpretation is if the lineman are in a 2 point stance and in shotgun formation, it is illegal for them to block below the waist. Basically there is no time for the lineman to get low before the ball leaves the FBZ.
That’s interesting. Tell me, what is the official interpretion of a two point stance?  Because I have seen linemen bend over at the waist with their arms resting on their thighs. The only difference between the two pint and three point being the hand touching the ground. Obviously, the OL could cut block as quickly from that position as he could from having his hand on the ground.

I just wonder if that was discussed?

Offline CalhounLJ

« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2021, 12:31:57 PM »
That’s interesting. Tell me, what is the official interpretion of a two point stance?  Because I have seen linemen bend over at the waist with their arms resting on their thighs. The only difference between the two pint and three point being the hand touching the ground. Obviously, the OL could cut block as quickly from that position as he could from having his hand on the ground.

I just wonder if that was discussed?

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2021, 01:23:12 PM »

Same in NC.

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2021, 05:14:40 PM »
Our hi-tech zoom meeting ended this Tuesday. One rule passed. I'm sworn to secret until the NFHS press release. It was not a big year for new rules as only 8 were proposed (normally 40-50) and only one made it out of sub-committee.

Can you share what the POE's will be instead?

Offline Derek Teigen

• FAN REACTION: +19/-1
  • Committed to the game; safety and sportsmanship
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2021, 07:39:01 PM »
I’m to the pint of being ok if they take it out altogether. Of course I also know the backlash that would cause.

Guiness or O'hara's?........ ^good

Offline CalhounLJ

« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2021, 08:36:47 PM »
Guiness or O'hara's?........ ^good
Lol. Either will do

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2021, 06:56:13 AM »
IIRC, the exception allowing BBW in the FBZ was put in to give smaller linemen a fair chance to block bigger linemen.  Those size differences still exist, especially at sub-varsity and middle school levels.

I wouldn’t be opposed to narrowing the exception to only linemen who are in the FBZ, with one or both hands on or near the ground, and immediately after the snap.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2021, 12:55:13 PM »
Can you share what the POE's will be instead?
There was a laundry list of  POEs suggested . The Editorial Committee then choses usually three. Haven't heard a word.

Offline BIG UMP

• FAN REACTION: +9/-1
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2021, 09:53:31 AM »
Big Ump

"EVERY JOB IS A SELF-PORTRAIT OF THE PERSON WHO DID IT.  AUTOGRAPH YOUR WORK WITH EXCELLENCE."~unknown

Offline CalhounLJ

2021 Rules Committee Meeting
« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2021, 09:55:32 AM »
« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 09:58:55 AM by CalhounLJ »