Author Topic: NEVER IN MAINE !....don't ever say never....  (Read 1086 times)

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
NEVER IN MAINE !....don't ever say never....
« on: October 26, 2023, 07:11:16 AM »
We awoke this morinig to news of a terrible shooting in Lewiston, Maine. 22 dead and 50+ injured in bowling alley and nearby resturant. While we live 70 miles north of Lewiston but were chilled by the fact that the suspect was still loose. Maine State Police and U.S. Marshalls' SWAT are on the scene and feel sure that he will be caught.The fictitious belief that this could never happen in Maine has faded for many this morning.

Our thoughts and prayers go out to the many who had loses. We have friends and family in the area, but believe all are safe. Thank you guys for providing this forum as a sounding board to return to a happier place.

Sincerely, Ralph & Roberta Damren

« Last Edit: October 26, 2023, 08:04:19 AM by Ralph Damren »

Offline Matt

• FAN REACTION: +17/-3
Re: NEVER IN MAINE !....don't ever say never....
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2023, 08:12:46 AM »
Ralph, glad to hear you're all right and hopefully all of your family and friends also.

You always think it won't/can't happen here. I only live a few miles from Oxford High School here in Michigan and have called games there many times. I work in a dispatch center and had a number of people calling me for any information I might have.

My thoughts and prayers are with all the people of Maine today.

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2023, 07:09:52 AM »
Prayers for peace and understanding for all those affected, Ralph.

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2023, 02:19:19 PM »
I had been wondering how close you may have been to that. Glad you weren’t very nearby. But, as you said, he is still on the loose, and is document to be mentally unstable.
I pray for those directly affected, and hope he is caught quickly. I pray for him, too. At age 70, I am learning that is what God wants from, and for, all of us, as distasteful as it may sound. May you all be safe and sound. God bless you.

Robert

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2023, 02:55:59 PM »
Thanks Matt, 'Bamba and Elvis for your kind words.The only impact this has had on me is all Friday night football games have been cancelled. The hunt for him has intensified with SWAT teams from the FBI, ATF,and Maine State Police scouring the woods. The U.S. Coast Guard   is patrolling the coastline with helicopters and  ships, the RCMP (Mounties) and Border Patrol stand sentry on our Maine-Canada  border. Tommorrow is the first day of deer hunting season with thousands of hunters entering the woods and I haven't heard any request to prevent that.

The outpouring of grief to the families of the victims has been overwhelming. Prior to the Boston Bruin's game, a moment of silence was taken as a largemap of Maine flag with a heart over Lewiston's location and an announcement that the Bruins were donating $100,000 to a fund for those famlies. Thanks, guys, for caring.

Offline GA Umpire

• Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +30/-3
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2023, 11:28:36 PM »
Just heard on the news that they found his body.  He apparently committed suicide.

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2023, 06:09:44 AM »
Just heard on the news that they found his body.  He apparently committed suicide.
YES !!!

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2023, 06:38:18 AM »
LAST NIGHT.....

UMaine ice hockey, off to a 2-0 start,  was playing at Quinnipiac who was ranked #2 in pre-season.The game went into overtime, tied @ 1-1. With a couple of minutes left in OT, a news flash interrupted with : "MAINE SENATOR ANGUS KING  ANNOUNCED THHAT THE FBI JUST INFORMED HIM THAT THE SHOOTER WAS FOUND...DEAD!"  I leaped from my Attila the Hun recliner with a  ;D...cheer. The game returned just as Maine scored the winning goal  yEs: yEs:...Crown Royal burbon arrived from the top shelf for the celebration.

A fitting closure to this for many, but the family and friends of the homicide victims will probably never fully recover.  Of the 13 wounded victims, word  is most are recovering with thanks to rescue and hospital attention. Our thoughts and prayers go out to all involved.  pray:;

AND FOOTBALL IS BACK IN MAINE  ^good ^no ^TD