Author Topic: NFHS Part 1 Exam  (Read 10418 times)

Offline zoom

• FAN REACTION: +10/-3
NFHS Part 1 Exam
« on: July 31, 2016, 07:04:41 AM »
I will not post the questions here, but I just wanted to point out that there are 4 questions in a row in which the question asks whether a period should be ended or extended.  In two of them, the phrase "last timed down of the period" is used, but this is the old language.  Answer all 4 questions as if they used the up to date language, "a down in which time expired", and you will be fine.  The answer key is written assuming the language is up to date.

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
Re: NFHS Part 1 Exam
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2016, 12:05:20 PM »
These type questions have been a problem for years. The Fed really needs to hire someone who knows how to write a coherent test.n hEaDbAnG
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline prab

• FAN REACTION: +37/-47
  • Wherever you go, there you are!
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2016, 12:39:23 PM »
Speaking of coherence:

Can "all of the answers are correct" EVER be the answer to a multiple choice question where one of the other possible answers is "none of the answers are correct"?

Offline FLAHL

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2016, 01:28:24 PM »
Speaking of coherence:

Can "all of the answers are correct" EVER be the answer to a multiple choice question where one of the other possible answers is "none of the answers are correct"?

These type questions have been a problem for years. The Fed really needs to hire someone who knows how to write a coherent test.n hEaDbAnG

+1 to both of you

Offline Curious

• FAN REACTION: +36/-50
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2016, 02:24:56 PM »
Is there a link to this test?  Looked thru the NFHS web-site; but couldn't find anything.

Offline Rulesman

• Refstripes Hero
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2016, 03:56:33 PM »
Speaking of coherence:

Like I said...  pi1eOn
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline Rulesman

• Refstripes Hero
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2016, 03:59:19 PM »
Is there a link to this test?  Looked thru the NFHS web-site; but couldn't find anything.
Your state association provides access to the test if they so choose, either by paper or online.
- Vince Lombardi

Offline zoom

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2016, 04:19:47 PM »
Many states offer the exam through the following site

https://exams.nfhs.org/

You can see if your state is listed.  I work games in both Connecticut and Rhode Island.  Connecticut is a paper test, but when I log in as a RI official, the test is available online.

Offline ncwingman

• FAN REACTION: +72/-13
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2016, 05:45:47 PM »
Speaking of coherence:

Yes, only if it's worded slightly differently.

a) Option A
b) Option B
c) All of the above
d) None of the above

By making sure that "all" comes before "none", then the "none" option is not "above" the "all" option and is not included.

Otherwise, you're getting a little pedantic. There are serious "options" (A and B) and choices regarding combinations of the options (C and D).

Offline Rulesman

• Refstripes Hero
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2016, 09:06:50 PM »
Wouldn't "Both A and B" or "Neither A or B" make more sense? They've already dumbed it down to the lowest common denominator. I recall years ago questions were worded where you had 3 or 4 possible answers to pick from.  They made you think and made you get into the rule book. All you have to be is a good test taker to pass today's versions.
- Vince Lombardi

Offline prab

• FAN REACTION: +37/-47
  • Wherever you go, there you are!
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2016, 09:24:13 PM »

a) Option A
b) Option B
c) All of the above
d) None of the above

By making sure that "all" comes before "none", then the "none" option is not "above" the "all" option and is not included.

Otherwise, you're getting a little pedantic. There are serious "options" (A and B) and choices regarding combinations of the options (C and D).

Kudos for first use of "pedantic" on the forum!

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2016, 07:06:15 AM »
N.C. access was routed through the Arbiter this year instead of NFHS.org.

Offline FLAHL

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2016, 01:07:36 PM »

a) Option A
b) Option B
c) All of the above
d) None of the above

In FL, I know that there are multiple versions of the test, so my question #1 is not the same as your question #1.  I believe that the answer keys are shuffled as well.  So even if the answer key is originally worded as above, it can get screwed up pretty quickly.  I've had multiple choice questions where option A is "None of the Above" and there is nothing above.

Offline FBUmp

• FAN REACTION: +77/-38
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2016, 07:27:27 PM »
N.C. access was routed through the Arbiter this year instead of NFHS.org.

And the sequence of questions is different for every user.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2016, 07:45:19 AM »
And the sequence of questions is different for every user.
One of the choices when a state establishes the NFHS test for its members is : "Do you want a random sequence of questions?" If you do, everyone will have the same 100 questions but in random order. This prevents collusion when taking the test as your #27 and my #27 will be totally different.

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2016, 07:59:34 AM »
This prevents collusion when taking the test as your #27 and my #27 will be totally different.

Our state uses its own T/F test, with each official receiving 50 questions out of a data bank of 300 or so.  It's unlikely that any two officials in the same area will have the exact same test, although they may have many of the same questions.

However, we are allowed two hours to complete the test, AND it's open book.  How anyone ever fails (<80%) such a test is beyond me.  Still......

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2016, 08:09:08 AM »
However, we are allowed two hours to complete the test, AND it's open book.  How anyone ever fails (<80%) such a test is beyond me.  Still......
There is a real simple answer: pass, or you can't work Varsity games.  Suddenly, people would take it more seriously.

Right now, if they can still work all year and the only downside is they won't get a playoff game, well, the people that aren't passing it probably weren't going to be getting playoff games anyway.  So why bother?

Offline FLAHL

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2016, 08:20:37 AM »
There is a real simple answer: pass, or you can't work Varsity games.  Suddenly, people would take it more seriously.

That's the case in our association.  If you don't pass the test, you can only work JV games and youth.

Offline LAZebra

• FAN REACTION: +4/-1
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2016, 08:36:54 AM »

Right now, if they can still work all year and the only downside is they won't get a playoff game, well, the people that aren't passing it probably weren't going to be getting playoff games anyway.  So why bother?

In Alabama, if you do not pass, make an 80 or above, in three attempts, you can't work any game, varsity or otherwise.
None of these fans paid to see us

Offline zoom

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2016, 08:39:21 AM »
In our association, the test is take-home and open book.  There is also a scheduled test review scheduled prior to the due date.  The point of the exam requirement, here, is to get all of the officials into the rule book.  Only officials who demonstrate that they have completed the exam may attend the test review, and officials need to include rule references.  It is possible that we have some officials who cheat, but since the score on the test is not made public, there is little reason to cheat, unless the official doesn't want to open the rule book at all.  Those officials tend to work only low level games anyway, I expect.  I don't know what the minimum score is, but I believe that a low score would preclude an official from officiating at all.

Offline SCHSref

• FAN REACTION: +15/-10
  • In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2016, 04:01:04 PM »
In SC, we have a 100 t/f exam.  It helps to determine your rating.   The higher the score, the better your chance of the shrine bowl, north/south game and state championship  game
If you didn't see it, you can't call it

Offline Ironhead17

• FAN REACTION: +3/-2
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2016, 09:12:38 AM »
In SC, we have a 100 t/f exam.  It helps to determine your rating.   The higher the score, the better your chance of the shrine bowl, north/south game and state championship  game
Also, in SC we get the results of our test almost immediately, but the test is not returned to you until the next summer so you don't know what questions you missed for almost an entire year. That's gotta change.
I found it interesting that the highest test average by District was 90. It's usually a fairly tough test.