Author Topic: Got Blind sided Friday night  (Read 3897 times)

Offline NorCalMike

• FAN REACTION: +23/-8
Got Blind sided Friday night
« on: September 15, 2015, 01:30:46 AM »
Friday night's game both teams were talking smack and generally being chippy. We through several UNS flags and ejected one player for throwing a punch. About have way through the 4 quarter I talk to one of the players about running his mouth. Very next play I get blindsided. I turn and see the play I just spoke with. First thing I think is this kid just did this in purpose. After all the talk about what happened in Texas, I am really on guard. The kid said he was pushed into me. I still not sure. Hoping to get the film later in the week.

As a U I usually get contacted by players during the game. This is the first time I thought it might be on purpose. Maybe it is time to take that WH position they keep offering me.

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
Re: Got Blind sided Friday night
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2015, 07:51:39 AM »
Mike, with all due respect, if you're halfway through the 4th quarter and have already had "several UNS flags and an ejection", it's no time for a "talk to." They've already had their warnings. Maybe if you ^flag for running his mouth....

Keep us posted on what the film shows.
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2015, 10:20:27 AM »
Yo,Mike :

As an umpire, you may have up to 22 players running toward you.

As a referee, you may have up to 22 players running away from you.

....I prefer the second option. If you make the change, your umpiring instincts  may tell you to play as tight as possible to the LOS. DON'T  8] 8] 8] 8]!! Be at least 5 yards behind the deepest back on scrimmage plays and wider than the widest interior lineman on scrimmage kicks. When a QB begins to scramble, try to keep an empty 5 yard belt between you and him. We've all let a scrambling QB get behind us and flashback days of umpiring will return . The "empty belt" mechanic will all but remove that moment of terror :o.

Good luck ,Mike, in taking advise and taking a white hat...more mental challenge but much less contact. tiphat:
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 10:22:30 AM by Ralph Damren »

Offline Welpe

• FAN REACTION: +28/-11
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2015, 12:43:06 PM »
Jeez...maybe we need to include in the list of things for the backside officials to watch is deliberate contact against the umpire. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't watching a little closer the last couple of weeks.

Offline Joe Stack

• FAN REACTION: +33/-46
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2015, 08:06:49 PM »
If my umpire came to me, before, during, or after a game, and said he was done in the middle behind the D line and was coming over to my (R) side of the ball to work, I'd say, OK. I don't think he would, but I'd take any heat on the impromptu (and unauthorized) mechanics change.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2015, 08:13:13 AM »
If my umpire came to me, before, during, or after a game, and said he was done in the middle behind the D line and was coming over to my (R) side of the ball to work, I'd say, OK. I don't think he would, but I'd take any heat on the impromptu (and unauthorized) mechanics change.
Better hope that you & U have the same headsize when swapping hats :).