Author Topic: Starting the clock after DB foul, rule change  (Read 2863 times)

Offline zapp

• FAN REACTION: +1/-1
Starting the clock after DB foul, rule change
« on: December 11, 2013, 07:15:19 AM »
Hi, the new rule 3-3-2-e17 demands the clock to be started on the RFP signal when either team commits a dead ball foul.

What's the reason for this rule?
What is a scenario for this rule?

Team A commits a false start after an incomplete pass in the down before? The receiver is hit by B after the pass falls incomplete? Defense offside with contact prior to the snap? I'm not willing to believe this is the idea...

Offline TXMike

• FAN REACTION: +229/-265
  • When you quit learning you quit living
Re: Starting the clock after DB foul, rule change
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 07:19:34 AM »
Keep reading in that area.  3-3-2-f  trumps 3-3-2-e-17   Start on the snap after an incomplete pass

Online Kalle

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +109/-35
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 07:20:53 AM »
The reason is to have a complete set of scenarios. Rule 3-3-2-f says that if there are d) and e) reasons for the clock to have stopped, the clock will start on the snap. In your first example the clock will start on the snap, and in the second example it will start when it would have started without the DB DOF foul.

The rule used to just say (something like) "if the game clock is stopped and it will not start on the snap, it will start on the referee's signal." I don't know the reasoning to have a complete list instead of the old language.

Offline zapp

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, 07:40:10 AM »
Of course I'm aware of paragraph f)  ;)  That's why I came up with my examples.

I was just wondering why we need this rule. If it's for completing the set, what about a live ball foul that's declined? Without completing a penalty as stated in e4?

Online Kalle

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +109/-35
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 07:51:44 AM »
I was just wondering why we need this rule. If it's for completing the set, what about a live ball foul that's declined? Without completing a penalty as stated in e4?

A penalty is completed when it is declined :) Rule 10-1-1-a

Offline zapp

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2013, 07:57:15 AM »
Very good point! Really!!!

But this should be valid for dead ball fouls too.

Offline jg-me

• FAN REACTION: +22/-4
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2013, 08:16:32 AM »
Hi, the new rule 3-3-2-e17 demands the clock to be started on the RFP signal when either team commits a dead ball foul.

What's the reason for this rule?
What is a scenario for this rule?

Team A commits a false start after an incomplete pass in the down before? The receiver is hit by B after the pass falls incomplete? Defense offside with contact prior to the snap? I'm not willing to believe this is the idea...

You're reading 3-3-2-e-17 as if it is a stand alone rule. Go to the beginning of 3-3-2-e - the first paragraph is the beginning of the rule and subsection 17 is simply completing a statement. The short version is that 3-3-2-e-17 only comes into play if the game clock is running at the time a DB foul occurs. In your scenarios, the clock is already stopped when the DB foul occurs, 3-3-2-e-17 does not apply and is not the rule you need to refer to determine game clock status.

Offline zapp

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2013, 08:31:55 AM »
The short version is that 3-3-2-e-17 only comes into play if the game clock is running at the time a DB foul occurs. In your scenarios, the clock is already stopped when the DB foul occurs

Ok, I think I can live with this explanation.

Although it seems to be covered by e4: "to complete a penalty".