Author Topic: Looking for a mentor  (Read 1443 times)

Offline Zap

• FAN REACTION: +2/-0
Looking for a mentor
« on: February 23, 2020, 03:11:31 PM »
How do you go about looking for a mentor? What suggestions do you have on asking or seeking someone out?

Online ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
Re: Looking for a mentor
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2020, 04:47:47 PM »
How do you go about looking for a mentor? What suggestions do you have on asking or seeking someone out?

You are asking this question on the NCAA site, which would make one think that you are already at a level working actual NCAA football (not high school football).  If that's the case, look for a guy that is well respected for being good at all aspects of the game, i.e., exceptionally good with rules and philosophies, and understands full crew mechanics (not just his position).  He should be one that you know spends a lot of time reviewing video, and trying to get better, himself.  And, he should be someone that you know is willing to accept your questions, and give you the help you seek.  And, he should be someone that has a good track record in helping other folks.
Once you find someone like that, it helps to get on the field with him, and, with your actions, show him your desire to work hard, listen, and learn.  After you get to know each other a bit, then just point-blank ask him if he would mind if you call him from time-to-time with questions on rules, how to handle things, or to review a little bit of your video, and offer critique.  I wouldn't right out ask him to be your mentor; just try to get him to see that you are serious about doing this right, and you would appreciate any critique, advice, or input.  And be sure he understands that you DO appreciate his help.

I had a lot of mentors during my NCAA career, and all of them fit that profile.  My "referee" mentor taught me so much more than rules or mechanics.  By observation and by asking questions, I learned a lot about managing the crew, and the game, in addition to knowing my position.  Amazingly, I had a boss in my private life that made huge contributions in my ability to lead a crew.  He taught me, "When in command, take charge."  Not to be a dictator.  But, make the decisions when they need to be made, even if unpopular, occasionally. Those are the kinds of things mentors can offer.

So, find a mentor(s), and listen.
Good luck.

Robert